What do you enjoy about early morning workouts?

Options
For those that do workout in the morning (before work or school), what do you enjoy about early morning workouts? I am trying this week to workout in the morning before work instead of in the evenings. I just wanted some insight as to what people enjoy about it and what helps them stick to it when maybe you just want to sleep in? I would love to eventually switch to working out during the week in the AM rather than PM :)

TIA :smile:

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I feel like getting it done in the morning sets the tone for my day. I feel more energetic, I feel more accomplished, and I make better choices. On the very rare occasion that I missed one, I just felt a sense of incompleteness for the day. In cases like that I either went home and got it done, which caused me to lose sleep since I had energy after, or I was too mentally worn out from work to get it done and just wanted to settle down for the day. That "high" I get from working out in the morning is what keeps me motivated to stick to the plan. It also helps me from dragging on in the morning since I know I have to get my workout in and get to work.
  • LUV2CARDIO
    LUV2CARDIO Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I feel much better if I go early, it's done/over, and I'm in a way better mood all day. Plus it keeps me more focused on my eating/steps!
  • JP_909
    JP_909 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Getting it done early makes you feel confident about the whole day like you've already done something and you're still going :)
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I love knowing that whatever craziness awaits in the day at work or home, I have already completed my workout. I love the energy boost it gives me. I love how it makes breakfast taste better. I love that I have "extra time" in the afternoon/evening after work to do chores, hang out with my husband, or go shopping. In the summer, it's much cooler in the AM and that's a bonus for outdoor runs.

Pretty much all of this. I love getting it out of the way and I really do feel more awake and energetic on days I get a good workout in before work. And I love sunrise runs in summer because they are so fresh and pretty.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I like riding in the morning...the air is cool and crisp and smells fresh, especially this time of year when we regularly get thunderstorms and rain in the evenings. I also like watching the sun come up while I'm riding. Alas, as we move further into fall and then winter I will be doing more lunch hour rides and ultimately more indoor riding with the trainer.

ETA: I'm not really a morning person and I struggle to get out of bed...but once I'm up and on my bike and riding I'm always like, "this is so worth it!"
  • NancyCaz61
    NancyCaz61 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said! I get up at 5:15, pop in a dvd and have a workout any where from 35 to 50 minutes. There are times when I do a shorter dvd, I'll either do part of another or pick up my weights and do a 10 minute session. I wish I had room for a treadmill! I have absolutely no time in the evenings, and my husband has a crazy work schedule, so while getting up early is certainly a struggle at times, it definitely sets the day in the right direction. I love that it's done and over early and I don't have to worry about not getting it done later
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    i dont feel gulty later in the day when i eat food lol. tho what i love about early morning workout is that it energizes me for a whole day, what i hate is that when im done with everything around 5-6pm i feel lazy as if i never been to gym i dont know why i get that feeling
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The gym is less busy
    Early mornings are my happy/energetic time
    I'm usually awake anyway so best not to waste it
    I know I will not do it at any other time of day (maybe over a long lunch break if I plan ahead)
    It doesn't cut in to precious family time
    I feel way better about my day as a whole if I got a good work out in that morning

eta: oh and the whole only having to shower once a day thing is a big deal to me. I'm low maintenance, I don't have any desire to shower more than once a day.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I don't like them and don't usually do them unless my after-work schedule is too crazy to get enough evening workouts in. So, what gets me there is knowing I have no other choice. It's not a happy experience but it gets the job done! And it's nice knowing you have it out of the way early.
  • MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    Options
    getting it done and out of the way early on, so not having to think about it the rest of the day. my friend says it's like getting the hardest task of the day done, so the rest of the day will be like a breeze to deal with.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    I love knowing that whatever craziness awaits in the day at work or home, I have already completed my workout. I love the energy boost it gives me. I love how it makes breakfast taste better. I love that I have "extra time" in the afternoon/evening after work to do chores, hang out with my husband, or go shopping. In the summer, it's much cooler in the AM and that's a bonus for outdoor runs.

Pretty much all of this. I love getting it out of the way and I really do feel more awake and energetic on days I get a good workout in before work. And I love sunrise runs in summer because they are so fresh and pretty.

Yes, there is something so special about running when the sun is rising!
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i do 2 days a week before work (running outdoors) and 2 days after work (strength training with a friend), on the weekends i just do them whenever i wake up usually.

i love that it's so much cooler in the morning to run, i love the feeling of accomplishment and the energy i have for the day, and mostly i love that after work i don't have to do anything because i really really enjoy being lazy and doing nothing. if i have leftovers and i worked out in the morning all i have to do is walk the pup and then i practically sing my way straight to my couch.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    It gives me the energy I need for the rest of the day.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I feel like it makes me overall more productive and also regulates my schedule. If I get up early and manage to drag myself to the gym, guaranteed I'm more awake at that time than I would be if I woke up at that time and didn't work out.

Also, getting up early to work out makes sure that I go to bed early enough and get a good night's sleep.
  • NancyCaz61
    NancyCaz61 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    eta: oh and the whole only having to shower once a day thing is a big deal to me. I'm low maintenance, I don't have any desire to shower more than once a day.

I completely relate!! There are nights I think about doing another workout while hubby is asleep, but then think again when I realize it means a late shower! LOL