Job offer advice...pretty please

Options
ashesfromfire
ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
Hey internet people! Not fitness related at all, but just crowd sourcing opinions. Ive been unemployed for 7 months and really need a job. I'm a full time student who just started my senior year at university. 6 days ago I interviewed for a job I REALLY want. I sent a thank you email, and the interviewer replied saying I'd hear from her soon. Awesome. Great. But now today, my boss from an old job (which I absolutely loved but the hours were HORRIBLE - working until 1or2am and needing to be in class at 8am does not make for enough sleep or homework time yo) contacted me asking if I still needed work because she'll hire me back (worked a seasonal position for her originally). Do the question: Is there a polite/professional way to ask the woman who interviewed me last week if she's planning on offerings the job because I've had another offer come across the table but I'd pick her business over the other? Or is that rude no matter the circumstances?
Additionally, at my interview I was assured that I'd hear back in just a few days...so that makes me think I didn't get it...but my thank you email got a reply maybe 72 hours after the interview letting me know if hear back soon.....gah I hate job hunting

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Honestly you could take the job offered, then when the one you want comes through take it and quit the other position.

Just leave on good terms, with notice.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    If the job your old boss called you about is only seasonal again I'd take it until I either heard back from the other job or found something else.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    It would be unprofessional to ask if you are going to be offered the job. Unfortunately you just have to wait it out. I agree with the other comments. Take the job from your old boss. If it's a good working relationship let her know you have your eye on a particular job that you haven't heard from as of yet but would love to go back to work for her.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    i think both jenmar and fanceegirl make valid points.

talk to your old boss first and explain while you loved your old job the hours were hindering your education. tell her how you want to say yes but if this other job is offered you dont want to leave her in the crunch.

it also isnt out of the question to contact the "wanted" job and ask if there was a timeline they were looking at.

i applied to my current job at the behest of a friend. hated my old job to the point i was physically sick and just a *kitten* to be around cause i hated it so much. the new job came between me and another applicant. same skills only difference was he could start right away and i asked to be able to put in two weeks (even though i told them if that was the decision maker i would quit on the spot as they have a habit of firing anyone who puts in a two week notice)

they hired the other guy who on the first day flipped out because there were no nicotine breaks and he had to have a mid morning cigarette.

5 years later i still love smokers for that very reason
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with calling and asking. For one thing it is getting your name back in front of them at a good, for another, if something as simple as that makes them eliminate you from consideration they may not be as good to work for as you were hoping. Of course you ask respectfully, but it isn't too much to ask IMO.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Honestly, as an office manager I'm annoyed when someone keeps calling me back/pestering me about the same thing I've already told them I'll get back to them on. I realize that getting a job is important, but if I were the interviewer a part of me would be irritated if I'd already told you that I'll let you know once I've made a decision, but you've ignored that and contacted me again.

You're saying "keeps calling back".
    We're talking about 1 call because there's another offer on the table. Would you rather lose the right person because they didn't call to check before accepting another offer?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,511 Member
    Options
    Back in the day, I called back every job I applied for everyday until I was either told I was hired or they hired someone else. They've likely already made their decision, I personally say don't let them make you wait and contact them again. To me, someone who's anxious to work right away and pesters you, WANTS the job badly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png