Low hormones, low D3, no energy weight up HELP

Options
I am 65 and thought I was in pretty good health. I have been really tired spring and summer and achy in joints and muscles limiting my exercise. I got all my test results back Friday from the MD and my D3, testosterone, estrogen and progesterone are all very low. Thyroid is low normal. So I am on a host of pills in addition to continuing a healthy diet.
I have no energy to exercise or do very much else. I need motivation in the worst way.

Replies

• mary25osman
    mary25osman Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I really don't know what to say except, go slow and build up by time. Start by walking slowly for 10 minutes one way, turn around and walk fast back like you're on a hurry. Every week add another 5-10 minutes to that. Pretty soon you will be walking fast for a whole hour! I did that for 4 months and now slow getting to run. All the best! :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Did your MD suggest any exercises to start you off? Hopefully as your D3 levels come up you will gain energy.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    If you feel like crap after, say, a month on the meds, you may need a different thyroid medicine and it would be advisable to discuss that with your doctor. I was on Synthroid and it did NADA. My levels looked fine on a blood test, but I felt abysmal. Then I went back to the doc and I said, hey, this is ridiculous. I still can't lose any weight and I can't even stay awake. Then I was switched to Armour Thyroid. I know there are other brands out there too, with different formulations. There's one called Cytomel. So don't just accept feeling like poo.... treat yourself very gently until you get your meds sorted out so that you feel all right again.
  • DiKoehler
    DiKoehler Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am on so much right now. NP Thyroid which is T3 and T4, D3 5000, Estradiol and Progesterone and DHEA plus a shot of Testosterone granules. I have been having good days like today where I am getting in my 25-30 minutes of aerobics and other days where it is hard to drag myself around the house. This guy is going to medicate me into life if it kills me!! Head in much better spot than this am. thanks for comments.
  • gmdowney53
    gmdowney53 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, If you lacked D3 and your thyroid is somewhat low, perhaps a mild antidepressant, such as Zoloft, could give you a boost, until the synthroid (or whatever), and D3 kicks in. Take it for at least 2- 3 wks, to make certain it takes affect. You'll know if it does, and the nice thing about a mild antidepressant, is they either help or do nothing at all; they aren't addictive and shouldn't bother you, at all. If they do, change what you're taking. I'm not advocating taking pills. On the contrary. But sometimes we experience depression without being aware of it... there is clinical and situational. Btw, if this helps, you can decide whether or not to continue. I wish you the best
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Having thyroid issues can result in low vitamin D as well and no energy.I wouldnt suggest she take an antidepressant to boost anything, unless she has depression too. she just needs to give it some time for her levels of hormones and her thyroid to get straightened out. we all have days where some days you drag *kitten* and others you dont. Im 42 and have a lot of those days too and my hormone,thyroid and other levels are fine. if I feel like Im in a slump I drink something with caffeine in it. it works for me. it may not work for everyone though.sometimes when tired I will take a walk or something and usually it helps boost my mood and I end up with more energy so maybe give that a try? cant hurt.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I also had zero energy when I started 60 days ago. I couldn't walk to my car with out breathing hard. I also couldn't muster up any energy to do anything.

I started walking. I downloaded map my fitness and just started walking the mall until I was tired. I did this several times a week and slowly increased my time and distance walking. Yesterday I walked my first 5k in under an hour.

You can do it.
  • Charis50
    Charis50 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    DiKoehler wrote: »
    I am 65 and thought I was in pretty good health. I have been really tired spring and summer and achy in joints and muscles limiting my exercise. I got all my test results back Friday from the MD and my D3, testosterone, estrogen and progesterone are all very low. Thyroid is low normal. So I am on a host of pills in addition to continuing a healthy diet.
    I have no energy to exercise or do very much else. I need motivation in the worst way.

You're doing what you need to do! You've been tested, and you're now addressing some imbalances. As your vitamin D and hormone levels come up, you should feel much more energetic. If not, revisit your MD. It can take some time (and multiple efforts) to get this dialed in.

In the meantime, consider every bit of exercise you do get a victory. You've been fighting an uphill battle.
  • NannersBalletLegs
    NannersBalletLegs Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Do you drink coffee? If not, drinking a cup of it or green tea might give you enough of a boost to get moving until you can work up a natural tolerance for exercise. Good luck to you, and I hope you feel better soon.
  • tshirtartist
    tshirtartist Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I think I am in the same boat. Already on bioidentical hormones but can't seem to lose weight even after being perfect for 3 weeks straight. Now I am beginning to think hormones are still not balanced and thyroid is off.
  • tshirtartist
    tshirtartist Posts: 109 Member
    Options

Have a call into to doctor to retest. I haven't been tested in a year and I lost my dad a year ago (who I took care off) and that stress probably messed up my hormones again. I am 52.
    Would love to know if how your treatment works for you? Are you taking bioidentical hormones? If not it might be something you might want to look into..
  • judydj1220
    judydj1220 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    don't forget to check your iron levels to rule out anemia.
  • slickmickey
    slickmickey Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i'm 34 and i never have energy. sometimes i just have to turn the music up really loud until you have to dance around like a loon.

i also force myself to go for a walk on my lunch break, even if its just around the building because it's a million degrees out.

i feel like if you stop moving, its harder to get yourself going again
  • cmalt45375
    cmalt45375 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am having the same issues. I was walking about 30 miles a week 2 years ago. I was loosing weight and felt amazing then I crashed and crashed hard. I could barely keep my eyes open and to make it through the day was very difficult. I went to the Doctor who told me I was perfectly fine being 100 lbs overweight. Well that I was not having. A friend of mine had started to see a Napropathic nurse with very similar issues and have had wonderful results so I thought why not try to look at how I feel from a different view. I had blood drawn and found that my hormones are all out of kilter. There is something called Adreanel Fatigue which is not recognized by the medical community but it's a real thing. Please take some time and Google this condition. Anyway I'm working with her on building my levels back up. She listened to my frustration and explained why I was not loosing weight and that until my body stabilizes I will not loose. I have been taking the supplements for about a month and can feel the difference. I not 100% right now but I can feel a huge difference. None of you know me and may think I'm crazy but please look at alternatives...do your research...and consider a Napropathic. They look at the whole body and not just treat the symptoms.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    cmalt45375 wrote: »
    I am having the same issues. I was walking about 30 miles a week 2 years ago. I was loosing weight and felt amazing then I crashed and crashed hard. I could barely keep my eyes open and to make it through the day was very difficult. I went to the Doctor who told me I was perfectly fine being 100 lbs overweight. Well that I was not having. A friend of mine had started to see a Napropathic nurse with very similar issues and have had wonderful results so I thought why not try to look at how I feel from a different view. I had blood drawn and found that my hormones are all out of kilter. There is something called Adreanel Fatigue which is not recognized by the medical community but it's a real thing. Please take some time and Google this condition. Anyway I'm working with her on building my levels back up. She listened to my frustration and explained why I was not loosing weight and that until my body stabilizes I will not loose. I have been taking the supplements for about a month and can feel the difference. I not 100% right now but I can feel a huge difference. None of you know me and may think I'm crazy but please look at alternatives...do your research...and consider a Napropathic. They look at the whole body and not just treat the symptoms.

adrenal insufficiency is recognized and real,adrenal fatigue is not recognized by the medical community nor is it real. its a blanket term at best when they have no idea what is really causing issues.you can be tested for AI but there is no test for AF. it could also be fibro,CFS(chronic fatigue syndrome) as well as other health issues. its best to get tested for anything possible to rule things out.
  • DiKoehler
    Options
    I am spending a lot of time investigating the whole thing and the interplay of the various hormones. I think the weight loss will come again but I am having to add a couple of fattier foods into my diet to provide some natural K2 to help the D3/calcium absorption. I have a check up in 7 weeks to see how things are going. MD is being pretty aggressive for which I am thankful. Adrenal fatigue from massive stress is a real thing that depletes a lot and spring was sure full of it. Just because the medical community does not currently recognize something does not make it valid. They also did not recognize much of menopause symptoms years ago, now they do. I am sleeping so much better but a lot foggier mentally, bone and muscle aches are better today so I will get my exercises in.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    DiKoehler wrote: »
    I am spending a lot of time investigating the whole thing and the interplay of the various hormones. I think the weight loss will come again but I am having to add a couple of fattier foods into my diet to provide some natural K2 to help the D3/calcium absorption. I have a check up in 7 weeks to see how things are going. MD is being pretty aggressive for which I am thankful. Adrenal fatigue from massive stress is a real thing that depletes a lot and spring was sure full of it. Just because the medical community does not currently recognize something does not make it valid. They also did not recognize much of menopause symptoms years ago, now they do. I am sleeping so much better but a lot foggier mentally, bone and muscle aches are better today so I will get my exercises in.

show me some scientific/peer reviews studies proving that adrenal fatigue is a real thing.if you are feeling better its due to the meds bringing things up to par. especially the vitamin D3. I was deficient in it and a week after taking my D3 supplements I started feeling better.massive stress is a thing,if you have issues with your adrenal glands you need to see an endocrinologist(you didnt say if your MD was one or not).
  • DiKoehler
    Options
    Guess the meds and the careful food plan are working. I feel between wonderful and totally awful every day but the joints do not hurt anymore or the legs. I have lost 4 # this week and am sleeping better. So a little sunshine in the mess. Going to be a long month getting past the initial phase of this.
  • DiKoehler
    Options
    I think I am in the same boat. Already on bioidentical hormones but can't seem to lose weight even after being perfect for 3 weeks straight. Now I am beginning to think hormones are still not balanced and thyroid is off.

Be sure to get your D3 checked too. I was stunned at how low it was and I take good supplements.
  • Sarita23_d
    Sarita23_d Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm on levothyroxine. It's hard to lose weight but it's possible. One day at the time that's all that we can do. It's hard to do exercise with our own motivation so try joining fitness classes or walk with a group of friends. Exercise regularly helps our energy level. I'm praying for your health. Take care