Strategy to improve 5K time

Options
Sorry, but I'm in need of advice that I'm sure I've heard before but need to hear again! I was feeling really good after finishing the C25K program....but I just can't seem to improve my time now. I'm stuck at a pathetic 36 min 5K time. UGH! I've made excuses - like its the heat/humidity, its too early or too late in the day, etc. BUT now I'm serious about trying to reduce my time. I can do one mile in 10 min - but have never done it faster than that. Should I focus on improving my 1 mile time or focus on my overall time?? I run/walk 4 miles 3x each week. HELP! Any advice on how to boost my time would be appreciated!

Replies

• snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    Try intervals
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    To quote the running elite "run more, mostly slow, sometimes fast". Very succinctly put and also very true.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I would try HIIT training now. You can google it and you'll find many programs.
  • chelm
    chelm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You have me beat by 5 min. You should be proud of it. A lot of times I find myself beating me up over the small stuff. Just be appreciative of what you CAN do.
  • tjayhuntington
    Options
    Interval running does help, try to run 1 minute straight during each mile as fast as you can. That sprinting helps build up that muscle to be able to go faster. Also, someone told me that if you train slow, you'll perform slow. So even if you're not doing interval training, try to step it up during your normal workouts. Get a friend to go with you, that sometimes can take your mind off of uneasiness of exercise, but keep your head in the game of course while you're running. Don't slow down and don't stop.

I hope that helps.
  • kuechletwins
    kuechletwins Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!!! I have another 5K this Saturday - hope to beat 36 min!
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You need to improve your endurance and strength. That means logging more miles. To start, add 1-2 miles on several of your runs each week for a few weeks.
  • themurph8910
    themurph8910 Posts: 124
    Options
    This is how I do my intervals -- its a total of about 25 min workout...

warm up walk for 3 min at 3.5 mph , then a 1 minute run at 4.0 mph then back down to a 1 minute walk at 3.5 mph..and so on every other minute is a walk, I take my speed up to about 7.0 mph... do this to 20 mins then about a 3 or 4 min cool down.
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I am absolutely NO expert as you know, since we've been "friends" on MFP for quite a while. I have found podrunner at itunes has some great run music for free that helps you set your pace. I understand that most races don't allow you to use your ipod or mp3, but it's a great training tool (for me). Also, sometimes when I run outside, just for poops & giggles I will do the last 1/2 of my run by sprinting for one city block, running slowly for 1 city block, sprinting the next city block, etc. etc. I probably look like a dumb *kitten*, but hey, I don't care, lol. My first 5K is next saturday, so like i said, I am NOT an expert at all!!! I am a slow runner. But I can do a heck of a lot more today than I could 3 months ago.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Run more miles. The more the better (but build up slowly so as not to get injured). Once you build your endurance the speed will begin to come naturally.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I've always heard "endurance first, speed will follow." I've also seen on some c25k forums where people repeated c25k but focused on speed (starting with week 1).
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I've always heard "endurance first, speed will follow." I've also seen on some c25k forums where people repeated c25k but focused on speed (starting with week 1).

I've seriously thought of doing this, maybe I should! Use the first few weeks of C25K to really crank it up again.
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    So glad you posted this! I am looking to get my time better too! I've done four 5ks now and have gotten better, but still looking to get a faster time! My last one was 31:13, but I really want to get under 30 minutes!!