Mash potato

Options
Hi, I'm having mash potato with my dinner and just wondered how everyone counts it? Do you weigh the potatoes before cooking,after cooking but before mashing or when mashed?
Thanks in advance x

Replies

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I would weigh them before cooking - because they're going to soak up a lot of water. Don't forget to weigh all the add-ins, too. Milk, butter, chicken broth, or whatever is used to cream them up.
  • xxhelenxaxx
    xxhelenxaxx Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just means I have to cook mine separate from the rest of the family,never mind lol and Yeh I've accounted for my butter
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    You can cook with your family, weigh the entire dish (minus the weight of the dish!), make it into 1 gram portions. Then when you plate yours out, you just weigh what you have on your plate and put in that many 1g portions as your entry.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Just means I have to cook mine separate from the rest of the family,never mind lol and Yeh I've accounted for my butter

Use the recipe builder. Then dish out your portion. No need to cook separate.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You can cook with your family, weigh the entire dish (minus the weight of the dish!), make it into 1 gram portions. Then when you plate yours out, you just weigh what you have on your plate and put in that many 1g portions as your entry.

This is what I do (except 100 gram portions). Or if I'm making 2-4 servings I typically just I weigh the potatoes raw, weigh the cooked dish, and serve myself a percentage of the cooked dish and log that percentage of the raw.

For example, if I used 330 grams of raw potatoes and am making 2 servings (but want the other person to have plenty), I'll serve myself 1/3 of the resulting dish and log 110 grams of raw potatoes.
  • x_blackrainbow
    x_blackrainbow Posts: 439 Member
    Options

Oh, I've been going about this all wrong! I've been setting it as one serving and then taking my portion's weight and dividing it by the total weight to get my serving. Your way is much easier, and I feel silly for not having thought of it.
  • bibimazoon
    bibimazoon Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Doh!!! Thank you!
    Man, I feel dumb :D
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Options

I don't understand how to do this. When I use the recipe builder it only allows me to put in servings in whole numbers not in gm servings to calculate the whole dish. Does that make sense?

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

I don't understand how to do this. When I use the recipe builder it only allows me to put in servings in whole numbers not in gm servings to calculate the whole dish. Does that make sense?
    Myfitnesspal is silly when it comes to entering multiple servings sizes. Weigh the entire finished portion and use that as the servings.

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

So say your entire dish weighs 300 grams. Enter 300 servings. Then each gram is a serving. If you eat 127 grams you had 127 "servings".

Or if you want to use 100 grams as your measure then you have 3 servings. If you eat 127 grams you had 1.27 servings.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    The grams as servings in recipe builder has been a headache saver for me as everyone in the house has different servings of things, especially mashed potatoes.

And it's so easy to tweak the recipe for the weights each time I make things.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Options
    Ok so I'm still confused. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. Using the recipe builder, if I have say 6 russet potatoes, 3/4 cup of 2 % milk, and 3 tablespoons of Land of lakes butter (with canola oil)...how do I make all of this into one big serving using this recipe builder as there isn't a place to put the gm to weigh out the servings? Here's a pic I took to show what I mean. When they ask for serving, how am I supposed to put say 300 gm?yvhjkuq2jrk4.png
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Ok so I'm still confused. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. Using the recipe builder, if I have say 6 russet potatoes, 3/4 cup of 2 % milk, and 3 tablespoons of Land of lakes butter (with canola oil)...how do I make all of this into one big serving using this recipe builder as there isn't a place to put the gm to weigh out the servings? Here's a pic I took to show what I mean. When they ask for serving, how am I supposed to put say 300 gm?yvhjkuq2jrk4.png

Enter '300' as the number of servings. Then just remember that 1 serving = 1 gram.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

If the whole dish weighs 300g, put 300 in as number of servings. Then you know that 1 serving is 1 gram. When you log it, if you ate 150g, tell it you had 150 servings.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Options
    Oh my...thanks guys! Now I feel really dumb lol! :smile:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Don't, I felt like a light-bulb went on when I finally worked out I could do that. It's just a good trick to have.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Don't. It's dumb that MFP doesn't let you enter multiple serving sizes.