Bored.. Cant stop eating

Options
2»

Replies

• cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    The cold hard truth is that you CAN stop eating when you are bored, but you aren't motivated enough to stop. What do you want more - that whateveritis that you're eating, or to lose a few pounds and feel a sense of accomplishment?

Or fit whatever you like into your calories for the day - then there is no guilt or recriminations, and you stay within your calorie budget - easy peasy.
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Go brush your teeth that normally stops me. The mint taste and the thought of brushing again turns me off eating lol
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I have this too, most evenings I find myself opening the fridge without really even feeling hungry. I always have things like cucumber/celery/baby tomatoes/carrot batons in the fridge to grab if I absolutely need something. If not I'll just drink some water and I've occasionally brushed my teeth!
  • norie92
    norie92 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    So keep eating. Snack on some steamed veggies, a fruit, popcorn (you can find "skinny" popcorn), or a protein shake blended with lots of ice, etc.
  • smile1233
    smile1233 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    http://blog.pop.fitness/2016/07/09/519/

"Below are just a few of the things we’ve discovered bring us joy and contentment. As each of us has different preferences our examples may not apply to all of you, but we believe that sharing these acts may inspire some to try them out instead of reach for a chocolate bar in your time of need.
    • Eat a sustainable calorie goal. Whether it be for weight loss, muscle gain, or maintenance of body weight we believe that eating a calorie goal which you can sustain is incredibly important. If you wish to lose weight we recommend cutting calories minimally over a long period of time as opposed to short-term “crash” dieting.
    • Never deprive yourself of your favorite foods. You can easily fit your favorite foods into your calorie goal and if the item is too high-calorie you can easily emulate it to fit your dietary needs.
    • Do not restrict certain food groups, (low fat, low carb, low sugar, etc.). This leads to food phobias and is unsustainable long-term.
    • Do not look at foods are wholly “good” or “bad”. This is particularly common in the “clean eating” mentality. Unfortunately, as calories are the only determining factor when it comes to overall body weight often these mentalities do far more harm than good. The truth is we should be looking at the big picture of our overall diet instead of judging individual food items. Very often you can incorporate foods such as icecream, cookies, chocolate, etc. into an otherwise nutritionally complete diet. And you can still easily over-consume your calorie needs on foods which are generally perceived as “healthy”.
    • Use your choice of beauty products to soothe sore muscles, cleanse/moisturize/care for your skin.
    • Take warm soaking baths or showers. Bonus if you take the time to light candles, dim the lights, listen to some relaxing music, and really connect with your body!
    • Take care of your general hygiene at all times. This can be as simple as developing routines for your teeth, hair, skin, and nails. I personally enjoy taking care of my feet (via pedicures) and getting my nails and eyebrows done professionally. Some may enjoy getting their hair cut/colored, getting faux tans, etc.
    • Keep your environment at work and home organized, decluttered, warm, inviting, and clean at all times. Your external environment reflects your internal environment. By keeping your external environment clean and clear you can focus on more important matters instead of wading through mental and physical junk.
    • Light candles, lay out comfy blankets, keep fresh flowers, and have an area outside of the bedroom in which you can relax and unwind.
    • Take the time out of your day to focus just on your thoughts, feelings, and emotions. A great way to do this would be journaling when you first wake up and before you go to sleep.
    • Listen to audiobooks, read your favorite books, watch netflix, etc. Sometimes it can be great to focus your attention on something external especially when you’re receiving rapid/worrying thoughts.
    • Practice good nighttime habits including: No electronics in the bedroom, no artificial (blue) light from phones/tablets/computers within an hour before bed. No laying around in bed when you’re not actively trying to sleep. And lastly, avoiding caffeine a few hours before sleep.
    • Performing SMR with foam rollers, a stick roller, massage balls, and hands. This along with stretching can help you connect with your body and help in recovery from exercise.
    • Finding and performing regular exercise which distresses you. This can be going for a walk in nature, swimming, yoga, weight lifting, dancing, and more.
    • Creating a vision board or clear plan for your future along with the actions needed to reach your goals. By having a clear idea of where you’re headed and being mindful of the motivations behind your daily actions you can be assured you’re on the right path. We recommend each and every day finding at least one action that brings you closer to your goal.

Finding hobbies which bring you joy or interaction with others. By keeping yourself busy and involved in hobbies you are receiving more intellectual stimulation and bonding with others. Oftentimes we can become content in the monotonous ins and outs of our lives which can lead to depression, isolation, and worst of all… boredom.
    Taking the time of the day to practice mindfulness and gratitude for all of the positive aspects of our life.

We encourage you to find ways to self-soothe and practice self-love without using food as a crutch as well. An easy first step is to write a list like ours above. What would make you happier right here, right now? What brings you joy in your life? What brings you the greatest stress and what changes can you make to reduce that stress?"

Feel free to use our list above as a guide."

Thank you you just reminded me how to relax.
  • smile1233
    smile1233 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This can work
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth after I've eaten my last food of the day.

Also, any food that I might want to eat mindlessly, I simply don't keep in the house anymore.
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Clean your teeth, close your diary and find something to do.
  • illusion2269
    illusion2269 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    When I first started logging here, I would pre-log my meals for the day as accurately as possible. That would give me a general idea of how many calories I had to play around with for a snack if the craving struck. If I was close to or at my daily allowance, it was sometimes hard to stop myself from having that extra snack. Sometimes I would work in some extra exercise to burn off those calories, but if I ended up going over for the day I wouldn't beat myself up over it, instead I would deduct those calories from the next day. The goal isn't to punish yourself, its to help you make better choices with food and exercise and make them something you can stick with for a lifetime.
  • sabrinagb91
    sabrinagb91 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that you can't stop snacking because you are under eating? What are your stats? (Cal goal, ht/wt/age/activity, typical exercise burns).

I usually are at 1200 cals I am 202 lbs for 5'5" 25 going to the gym 5 times a week at the job I answer the phone so no exercises
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that you can't stop snacking because you are under eating? What are your stats? (Cal goal, ht/wt/age/activity, typical exercise burns).

I usually are at 1200 cals I am 202 lbs for 5'5" 25 going to the gym 5 times a week at the job I answer the phone so no exercises

If you have your rate of loss set for 2 lbs/week, consider lowering it. Just going to 1.5 lbs/week will give you an extra 250 cals a day. :) That will give you a sizable snack in the evening!

Also, stop and ask yourself if you are eating something because you are hungry, or if you are just bored. Self-awareness and self-control are muscles that need to be exercised as well :)
  • sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    This may sound silly, but I bought adult coloring books. They're relaxing, distracting and fun. I can kill an hour easy with them.