Scale Obsession

Options
My clothes are fitting and looknig great (if not too big!), but I continue to give myself a hard time about not seeing enough change on the scale.

A close friend of mine who is also a personal trainer reminded me of something funny yesterday- No one actually sees how much you weigh (except maybe your doctor!), what people see is how you look
and how your clothes are looking, so that is what is most important!

I weigh everyday, and I think I'm getting a little obsessed. So, I've decided to put away my scale and weigh only once per week for a while.

I have to admit, I'm a little scared. The weigh in process is part of my morning routine and I really look forward/dread it in combination.

What do you guys think? Any other obsessers out there?

Replies

• gnicolecan
    gnicolecan Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    My clothes are fitting and looknig great (if not too big!), but I continue to give myself a hard time about not seeing enough change on the scale.

A close friend of mine who is also a personal trainer reminded me of something funny yesterday- No one actually sees how much you weigh (except maybe your doctor!), what people see is how you look
    and how your clothes are looking, so that is what is most important!

I weigh everyday, and I think I'm getting a little obsessed. So, I've decided to put away my scale and weigh only once per week for a while.

I have to admit, I'm a little scared. The weigh in process is part of my morning routine and I really look forward/dread it in combination.

What do you guys think? Any other obsessers out there?
  • NoraEE
    NoraEE Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely motivated by numbers, too. Maybe you could try putting away the scale and just doing waist/ thigh/ butt/ etc measurements every couple of weeks?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    My scale is in the bathroom and depending on what I am earing I get on the scale several times a day sometimes but at a minimum twice....morning an d night....I am used to the fluctuations and like to know where I am at....makes me consider my sodium and water, etc
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday...but i don't really take it to heart too much. I know that too much salt, not enough water, etc, can really change my weight in one day. I just look at the trends...it helps me to keep on track, and to be more aware of how what I eat affects me.

To each his/her own, i guess! :flowerforyou: Just do what makes YOU happy! Looks like you have made GREAT progress! Good luck! keep it up! :drinker:
  • mandersen16
    Options
    I worry about it every day :explode: . I do only weigh myself once a week and it's hard not weigh myself daily. I put the scale in my closet on the top shelf where it's not easily accessible (I'm short) and that discourages me from trying to weigh myself daily.

My problem with the scale is I dreaded it and if I didn't see the results I wanted, then I gave up. You can't worry yourself too much about it. It will come in time. I certainly didn't gain the weight overnight, or even over a month so I can't expect it to go away that easy!
  • Elita
    Elita Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I think im obsessed also, i weight myself every time i go to that gym, so 4 or 5 times out of the week!
  • Nlongenecker
    Options
    I had this same problem, getting on the scale at least once (if not more) a day. And when I decided to put it in the closet and only take it out once a week, it was hard I will admit. I felt like I forgot to do something that morning when I got up and I would keep wondering, "I wonder what it would've said". I have to admit I was a little anxious about it. But in a couple days it got better and after a week, I wasn't even thinking about it. Just when my designated weigh in day came.
  • solomonsmom
    solomonsmom Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    HA!! YES I was just about to start a topic called Scale REhab because i have the same problem Its almost every time i go to the bathroom which is alot lately because all the water im drinking now!!!
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed too. I weigh myself every morning but I tell myself the only one that matters is the one on Monday morning. That is when I log in my weekly weight. The rest of the week I just kinda use the numbers as a guide.

My husband losing weight too but he refuses to log his weight or measurements. His philosophy is "you will know by the way your clothes fit and how you feel" He's probably right but being a bookkeeper, it tend to be all about the numbers, lol! I just like to know that what I am doing IS working so that I don't get discouraged.

To each is own!

Memaw
  • gnicolecan
    gnicolecan Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    My hope is that I will actually feel like I see bigger results because the change will be bigger from week to week than it is from day to day.

My fear is that if my weigh in is a day after a salty meal, etc, then my weight could be arbitrarily high and i might get discouraged.

Another point that I forgot to make is that I strength train a ton- 40 mins 5x per week. This has been a big focus area for me and I think it has caused me to sculpt more than lose in the past 2 mos.
  • Innerglow
    Innerglow Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I only record my weight on saturdays but I usually weigh myself once a day! :blushing: .....it's prolly not good for me mentally but i do it!
  • SteffCooley
    Options
    I had the same scale obsession, and DID get way too discouraged by the day-to-day fluctuations. I finally had to put it away in the closet and only bring it out on Mondays now for my "official" weigh in. I used to weigh on Fridays, but then found myself "cheating" here and there on the weekends. So, switched it to Mondays and it keeps me motivated through the weekend to see that LOSS on Mondays!
  • RunningSteph
    Options
    I used to have the obsession but not anymore. I would get too frustrated if I was 1/2 a pound heavier from one day to the next. So I only weigh myself once a week now. Obviously I haven't weighed myself this week at all since my ticker hasn't changed at all. I'll either weigh in tomorrow or Saturday. Depending on how skinny I feel in the morning :laugh:
  • AugustBaby1973
    Options
    I, too, had the scale obsession! :laugh: I used to get on it everyday in hopes that exhaling would shed about 2 pounds!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: But, now I weigh in weekly, so it's not as bad as it used to be!
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    I weigh everyday at the gym, the reason being that I like to plug in my weight to get a more accurate calories burned count. I too used to obsess over the numbers on the scale, but anymore now I go more by how I look and feel.....well most of the time anyways. :bigsmile: