If you think you might throw up, do you quit your workout?

Options
I was working out tonight, after a week long break... I know, I'm terrible... And 18 min. through, I feel like I might vomit, I try to push on, but it just gets worse, so I quit.. Should I have kept going, or was it ok to quit... Just need reassurance

Replies

• bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I stop for a moment, recompose and then try to get back too it. If it comes back, I try to determine if it's just my intensity. If the intensity is too high, I back off the intensity. If my intensity is fine, I would assume I was ill for some reason and stop.
  • kassandra1717
    kassandra1717 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    When I first started jogging a lot I'd feel sick but I always pushed through it. I think it's jut that your out of shape and your pushing your body. Maybe if you are exercising on a full stomach or an empty stomach can do that to you too.
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    I slow down, stop and catch my breath for a few mintutes.

:flowerforyou:
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body! If you're feeling nauseous, take a break. There's no point hurting yourself! :frown:
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    This never happen to me. But for when this happened to other people I know, it was due to a lack of H20. Do you drink water all day long? How about yesterday? Drinking water through out the day will totally effect you nausea ( of course don't drink too much.) This heat is enough to make anyone nausea! Especially if you eat greasy food, mixed with heat and humidity.....

Second question: are you pregnant? That could be the other reason.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    If you really think you will puke, definitely stop. You did the right thing. Otherwise you'd be cleaning up barff for an hour(that's a good workout)lol
  • mandalyn23
    mandalyn23 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I slow down to walking very very slow until I am feeling better...then I am usually much better and push through! I do know sometimes my stomach feels worse if I drink too much water right before or have eaten poorly that day.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i will slow down the intensity then go again. I wouldn't stop unless I actually puke tho maybe idk. it's only happened a few times.
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    In derby, we always cheer if someone pushes themselves so hard they puke. It was the same in high school track. Both are hard endurance sports. If you aren't trying to reach a goal of going faster than everyone else for over an hour than puking might not be a good thing.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Luckily my work capacity has greatly improved and I haven't puked in years. First, pay attention to what you're puking. If it's just fluid then you could be dehydrated and / or undernourished and should probably stop. Other than, judge how you feel. One time I remember puking and coming back and finishing stronger than I started.
  • LordRahl
    LordRahl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Unless heat or illness is involved, push on through. I have watched the Biggest Loser and the people are always puking on the first couple of weeks. Just anxiety and your body trying to get you to stop. Slow down, take a few moments and then push through. If nothing else you have a war story to tell people.

R
  • Shrek55
    Shrek55 Posts: 14
    Options
    while training in football training camp all people puke. Well that was in highschool, Is it good? No. Go in moderation, if you feel sick then stop.

Better to lower the intensity and keep your lunch down.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I am too old to care to push myself that far. That's what college track practices were for.

To those still willing to push it that hard, that's pretty impressive.
  • Chiqui74
    Chiqui74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It is not uncommon for runners to vomit during/after a run, especially races. Unfortunately, we are "blessed" with all sorts of GI issues. If I feel like I'm going to throw up during a run, it's usually because I'm pushing myself hard, it's hot and/or drank too much water. I stop for a little bit (a minute tops) and recompose myself before I keep going, then dial it down a notch. I have thrown up twice right after a race. The most recent time was during a trail race. I could feel it coming a few hundred yards from the finish line and I wasn't sure I was going to make it. I ran right past the finish and to the woods on the other side where I proceeded to toss my cookies, so to speak. If this happened during an indoor workout, especially at the gym, I may act differently. The thing with throwing up during exercise is that right after you throw up, you feel fine again so you can keep going.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I always feel like this towards the end of my run. I do sprints on the tread.. Every weight loss show I have seen they said to push through. I usually just push through and I can get through it.. Don't quit. That's just an easy way out. It's pretty much trying to get all of your toxins out of your body esp if your not used to exercise hang in there.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    If I was actually going to throw up in public then yes!

Otherwise, no.
  • MuchMovement
    MuchMovement Posts: 100
    Options
    Sometimes you just wanna barf during a work out, and thats ok.... it's gross, but totally normal.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I was working out tonight, after a week long break... I know, I'm terrible... And 18 min. through, I feel like I might vomit, I try to push on, but it just gets worse, so I quit.. Should I have kept going, or was it ok to quit... Just need reassurance

You're pushing too hard if you think you're about to vomit. That happened to me during a road race once, but I slowed down and was OK.
  • margo109
    margo109 Posts: 7
    Options
    It's never really happened to me, but I guess it just depends. Like, I wouldn't wanna throw up on myself, OR a machine, OR someone else. However, if I'm out walking or running on the street & I vomit...well, I'd just try to make sure I'm far enough off the path for no one else to run up on a "surprise". ROFL!

I don't know. I guess it really just depends on how you feel. I certainly don't think anyone would right you off for stopping if you feel sick.

I hope it doesn't happen to you too often.

*smiles*

Jean
  • LizToner
    LizToner Posts: 49
    Options
    Thank you, no it has never happened before... I did drink a lot of water, and I ate spaghetti for dinner, I am thinking that it could have been my stomach being full. Usually I do not have that problem, my biggest problem is asthma attacks, but I usually slow down catch my breathe keep on keeping on! lol Thanks for all of the tips I really appreciate it!