Social anxiety and depression.

Options
2»

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    havok1113 wrote: »
    My feeling is that it is necessary to get all of your mental and physical health issues under control before you try to focus on fitness and weight loss. Anything else is really just an exercise in frustration.

I think that in your case, I would look into adjusting medications, trying different therapies or perhaps seeing a new mental health professional.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you for the advice. But I believe that in trying to better myself physically, in turn mentally I will improve as well. Exercise is a known form of therapy if you will that every doctor, psychiatrist, psychologist, and Web article I have ever come across, suggest.

If you are so anxious that you can barely leave the house, how are you able to exercise in a consistent way?

Of course exercise is helpful for stress and anxiety, but if you are having big enough problems that your issues are getting in the way of your everyday life, exercise is not going to be enough to keep things under control. You will be inconsistent and constantly frustrated.
  • havok1113
    havok1113 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    havok1113 wrote: »
    My feeling is that it is necessary to get all of your mental and physical health issues under control before you try to focus on fitness and weight loss. Anything else is really just an exercise in frustration.

I think that in your case, I would look into adjusting medications, trying different therapies or perhaps seeing a new mental health professional.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you for the advice. But I believe that in trying to better myself physically, in turn mentally I will improve as well. Exercise is a known form of therapy if you will that every doctor, psychiatrist, psychologist, and Web article I have ever come across, suggest.

If you are so anxious that you can barely leave the house, how are you able to exercise in a consistent way?

Of course exercise is helpful for stress and anxiety, but if you are having big enough problems that your issues are getting in the way of your everyday life, exercise is not going to be enough to keep things under control. You will be inconsistent and constantly frustrated.

I have a treadmill, weights as well as yoga materials and videos. Lots of others suggestion on this post to help. I'm not sure what you are trying to get out of this but I believe at this point in time I will agree to disagree. Thank you for your opinion thought and good luck!
  • havok1113
    Options
    campbellbx wrote: »
    I also have anxiety and depression issue but in the last 1 1/2 years I have lost 4 and abit stone. It can be done I started of walking my dog the more and more I did it the easier it got I do have to admit I stick to paths no parks where people might want to talk or quite woods less likely to bump into someone. I also got an exercise bike started of 10mins and increased from there as the weight started falling of I noticed my mood started to pick up I now feel able to go to the gym I joined 3 weeks ago first time I'd been in over 10 years I go with my head phones in as soon as I leave the car work out and take them out when I get back to the car. No body has spoke to me yet just what I wanted.
    Baby steps everyone's different you just need to find what works for you

Thanks! I was thinking about getting a dog but they aren't aloud in my building :(. I've been working on walking and getting out of the house more. So far with someone but hope to get over the anxiety of doing it alone.
  • havok1113
    Options
    hey there. I have bpd and depression, but not serious anxiety. do you take meds to help with the anxiety? in my experience with people who suffer from debilitating GAD, meds are really the only thing that help.

as far as the bpd and depression go, getting my body back to its happy place has definitely helped me, as does the lifting program I do now. antidepressants also help increase my general baseline mood which allows the exercise a better chance of improving my mood, and I also take something to help me sleep as I don't sleep worth *kitten* otherwise. and for me taking care of the most basic things like getting enough sleep and eating enough are huge for helping me having that baseline at a reasonable place so that I have more energy to focus on the deeper things and work on myself. I also facilitate a support group that I find super helpful, maybe looking for something like that in your area would provide you with some additional support? or a skills group?

you're welcome to add me as a friend if you ever want to talk or just have someone in your news feed going through similar things. :)

I was on about 6 different medications, but a situation in my life made me decide any form of medication wasn't for me. It has been hard, and I wouldn't recommend it for everyone. But I would like to develope on my own and try to get better without them. I will look at something like that! Thank you :smile:
  • havok1113
    Options
    minime0424 wrote: »
    I have depression, and severe anxiety topped with post pardon depression. It might sound crazy but I have never been one for taking meds, I had a counselor back when I was in my teens that pretty much just wanted to drug all my problems away and had me on 5 different meds for a total of two conditions at the time. Needless to say I have since given up on drugs for my situation, I barely even take pain reliever anymore. I have come to find through looking for ways to help myself on my own that breathing techniques and hot showers or baths for decompressing from the day do provide relief. It might not seem like much, but when you couple a few techniques together and start to do them on a daily basis, you will probably start to find some relief.

Thank you! I really hope so. :smile:
  • NannersBalletLegs
    NannersBalletLegs Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with anxiety and depression, but I have found that, if I can just force myself to push through and go for that walk or take that bike ride, I end up feeling better. (I'm not on any medication, by the way.) Physical activity can be very meditative if you give it a chance, allowing you to sort through your thoughts and feeling while engaging in repetitive motion that directs your excess or negative energy away from you. I find it also helps to blast music that adequately expresses what you're feeling at the time. It can be very validating and cathartic to hear your emotions reflected in the music you exercise to. Often, for me, these two things are enough to keep "the demons" at bay. Good luck, and I hope you find something that works for you and makes you feel better!
  • sonixgirl77
    sonixgirl77 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Plans realistic number of days you want to workout for the week and an idea of kind of workout but be flexible of which days you do that particular workout. On those days you schedule a workout but time is short, just think a little something is better than nothing. So even a 30 min workout when you really wanted to do 1 hr is okay. The routine for me is helpful.
  • sonixgirl77
    sonixgirl77 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Also, I sent friend invites to the majority in this feed for accountability, appreciation for mental health understanding, and supporting each other in health and fitness.
  • TogamiByakuya
    TogamiByakuya Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I suffer from dysthymia with bouts of major depressive disorder, social anxiety disorder, PMDD, and C-PTSD. I understand what you mean -- motivation can be quite difficult. I do take medication for it, as well as seeing a psychologist. I require the medication since at least one type of the depression is hereditary, and when not on it, multiple professionals have almost put me in the psych ward. Absolutely, trying to motivate oneself with a mental illness or two can be pulling teeth.

Personal diatribes aside, seeing a professional and getting medication isn't a bad thing, in my opinion. Some people use medication simply as a stepping stone to help their brain chemistry get in check while they figure out their emotional issues, and then wean off of it as they learn self love and better coping mechanisms. Some medications cause weight loss, and some cause weight gain, and some have both as a side effect listed, so if weight is contributing to a negative self-image, that may be something to keep in mind.

That said, I think it's important to work on good coping mechanisms and getting professional help if available; but, one thing that can help is try to not beat yourself up if you slip. If you meant to exercise today but don't have the energy to put your feet on the ground, it's okay. There's no need to beat yourself up about it; save all of that energy to exercise tomorrow. Exercise does release endorphins, as well -- those can help you feel better, provided your brain doesn't absorb feel-good chemicals too quickly.

You're welcome to add me and talk to me as you wish. I struggle with the same depression-driven motivational issues, and if you think having a friend who would help to keep you accountable for your goals as well as talk through mental concerns, I would be happy to help.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    First, you doing a great thing joining mfp..it is a step in the right direction. I don't suffer from your situation but was experiencing serious anxiety after decades of thinking I'd never have it again. I read up on what to do, and one thing was to exercise. I found when I lifted heavy weights it actually relieved my anxiety. I also started eating better…there's a list of foods that ease anxiety. So, in short.. if you make yourself exercise, eat healthy..and get good sleep.. you may find your symptoms are way relieved. i never had to resort to medicine and so glad for that. Yet, at one point I was so uncomfortable I considered that option.. glad I pushed through. .
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    It's about learning to love yourself for what you are. For some people losing weight helps. For others, building muscle, seeing friends is the perfect "pick-me-up." It may be something as simple as the social events you actually attend are simply not your cup of tea and you aren't at your best. Either way, best of luck with your journey, keep your head up, and see you at the top :)
  • KatrinaGrey
    KatrinaGrey Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    As someone with bipolar, anxiety, and depression, I know how tough it is. I focus on one day at a time and how good I feel after eating well and exercising, not on the weight loss. I do take medication because I have tried alternative methods many times, and fought against taking meds, but without medication, none of them work as well for me. However, eating healthy and working out keeps my dosage low so I'm not on as high a dosage as some people are. Medication, inc conjunction with other things, has stabilized my mood and allowed me to push past some of my insecurities.

Getting to the gym or running outside can be a challenge, (as I worry, what will someone think?? what if I look stupid? why am I doing this, im no athlete etc) but as I get older, the more likely I am to say *kitten* it and anyone who has a problem with me. Finding confidence and an FU attitude for any haters has been a blessing. I even wore running shorts to the park the other day when it was super hot and I didnt care what anyone thought.

I don't believe in a one size fits all to any problem, but trying new things and keeping yourself open to options will help.
  • sfcrocker
    sfcrocker Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    About 25years ago I was in a fire and suffered second degree burns (no scars luckily). The room I was in had a gas leak and exploded. I thought I was going to die but the things I'd always been told--your life will flash will before your eyes, you'll suddenly believe in god again, etc.--didn't happen. Instead I just thought "this sucks". I went through about a month of recovery but after that went into a deep deep depression as well as severe anxiety and a fear to even go into buildings.

Luckily, I had a good psychiatrist who used both medication *AND* talk therapy with a psychologist to get me through it. The whole process took about two years. I point this out because there's not going to be a magic cure for your anxiety and/or depression but IT CAN BE MANAGED. You look young so even though two years may seem like a huge amount of time (it might take more for you, it might take less) it really isn't in the big scheme of things.

A couple of times in my life the anxiety has come back and when it does I attend an anxiety group or go see the psychiatrist.

The key is to GET STARTED. You sound like you've already acknowledged the issue so now it's time to take steps, even baby steps, toward healing. As much as we like to think we're powerful and independent, I'd still recommend you get help from another person or group of people.

Also, I'd recommend exercise, especially swimming which seems to melt anxiety away from every muscle in the body. If not swimming, do something outdoors in nature so that you get exercise and the spiritual beauty of being outside. I like to hike in Mendocino, CA surrounded by redwoods. It's very tranquil and hours will pass with me just thinking about things and I come back refreshed and relaxed.

Finally, a personal trick I use is that when I'm anxious, upset or angry about something, I ask myself: am I still going to be anxious upset or angry about this in an hour? day? month? If the answer is an hour or a day I let it go. I actually picture what I'm anxious about mentally drifting away from me. If the answer is a month or more, then I come up with an action plan to deal with it.

Good luck and please keep us posted with how things go for you!