Better to meet calorie goal or carbs/fat/etc. goal?

Options
Greetings,

I have just started attempting to lose weight, so I am still learning which portions work correctly for me.

Right now, I am at the point where I am a few hundred calories short of my daily minimum, but eating almost anything I can think of would put me over on my suggested carbs, fat, protein, and sugar.

Of course, shopping for foods that have smaller amounts of the above would be ideal. However, right now I cannot go shopping.

Given that, is it better to go over the given daily amount for carbs, fat, protein, and sugar to meet my caloric balance, or be a little bit under my caloric goals so as to not go over my allowances?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Calories. Meet your calorie goals. The number is meant to be hit, not under by a few hundred.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Count calories for weight loss or gain. Count macros for nutrition.

Calories.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Calories for weight loss. Once you get your logging and intake down, then work on making sure you meet your fat and protein needs.
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Calories, hands down. Only way to lose weight is to be at a caloric deficit.

Unless you have a medical condition you don't need to worry about carbs and fats ect. Carbs aren't the enemy, they don't make you fat if you're not eating above your maintenance calories. If you like carbs, eat carbs.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Worry less about the composition of your food and more about the quantity. Calories are more important than macros.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Your macro goals are usually a ratio or a minimum, not a maximum unless you have a health condition. You want to hit at least the number on your macros in almost all instances. Calories you want to stay under
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Macros is a goal, calories a target.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Calories are numero uno for weight management.

That said, your calories are made up of your macros...if you're using accurate entries it would be impossible to be over on your macros and still hit your calories...protein and carbs both provide 4 calories per gram while fat provides 9 calories per gram.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    makingmark wrote: »
    Your macro goals are usually a ratio or a minimum, not a maximum unless you have a health condition. You want to hit at least the number on your macros in almost all instances. Calories you want to stay under

I disagree with this. If MFP is telling OP to eat 'x' amount of calories to lose weight, they need to hit that number. That number is already below maintenance so OP will lose weight eating that set number.
  • Alienique
    Alienique Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    When it comes to weight loss, it's quantity over quality - it's not about WHAT you eat, it's about HOW MUCH. A few hundred calories short of your calorie goal is a significant deficit. My advice is: as long as you're not going over your calorie goal, don't worry about the composition of your macros. At least, not if losing weight is your main goal.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »

I disagree with this. If MFP is telling OP to eat 'x' amount of calories to lose weight, they need to hit that number. That number is already below maintenance so OP will lose weight eating that set number.

You are right, I know what I meant in my head. I try to hit my calorie goal or close to it. Some days over a bit, some days under a bit, but never far under. What I typed and meant to say didn't quite mesh.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »

You are right, I know what I meant in my head. I try to hit my calorie goal or close to it. Some days over a bit, some days under a bit, but never far under. What I typed and meant to say didn't quite mesh.

I get it. The weekly average is just as important as the individual day. There are times when I'll shave off calories each day to bank calories for a particular day that I know will be a high calorie day.
  • TogamiByakuya
    TogamiByakuya Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of your replies; I was under the impression that the macros were more important. The goal is definitely to lose weight, so calories are definitely more important. All of the advice is much appreciated.