How do you allot your calories?

Options

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    It's interesting to see how many people pre-log. I don't think that would ever work for me (I usually change my mind about dinner 32+ times a day lol) but I didn't realize it was so common.

You don't have to prelog everything. I usually pre-log my breakfast and lunch but usually know what I'm going to do for dinner. Then add/subtract anything else I eat during the day.
  • jayjay_90
    jayjay_90 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat as everyone here with my dinner typically being my largest meal of the day. Most days I only have lunch (read: late breakfast) and a snack before that. Snack usually comes in around 250-300cal, and "breakfast" usually around 400-500cal - dinner then is usually minimum 700-800cal On days I run, I'll eat more, and that varies depending on how much I burn.
  • jvtchong
    jvtchong Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I pre-plan dinners for the week in the weekend - log those dinners plus a portion for lunch the next day and shop accordingly. Whatever calories are left over I fill with breakfast (smoothies, egg cups, etc.) and snacks. If I know I'm going out for a meal (which happens at least twice a week) I tend to allot 500-1000 calories for that meal plus drinks and adjust to lower calories the rest of the day. If I know where we're going to eat and can get a hold of the menu before we go I try to figure out what healthier options are before hand. Vacations, parties and get together's I throw caution to the wind and just enjoy.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Having now done this for almost 2 months, I have a better sense of calories. I will skimp on lunch to "save" calories for dinner. I won't just work with the calories I have left for dinner; I'll just go over but I will go for a walk after dinner so I gain back at least 100 calories. It doesn't always put me under but it makes me feel less guilty.
  • adamyovanovich
    adamyovanovich Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I eat 400 breakfast, 500 lunch, by the time i get home i have 1100 calories left. Me and the wife decide whats for dinner and i will guesstimate (pre log, adjust oz or grams) dinner. Dinner is usually 500-600 cal. Then i save the rest for snacks. I make sure to get to 1700, and some days leave it at that, some days i go all the way to 2000.
  • adamyovanovich
    adamyovanovich Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Trish1c wrote: »
    Having now done this for almost 2 months, I have a better sense of calories. I will skimp on lunch to "save" calories for dinner. I won't just work with the calories I have left for dinner; I'll just go over but I will go for a walk after dinner so I gain back at least 100 calories. It doesn't always put me under but it makes me feel less guilty.

I do this when i know were going to have a family dinner at a parents house, which is usually 800-1000 calories. Its great food, so i skimp on breakfast and lunch and leave myself 1300 calories for dinner and enjoy it but stay under my goals.
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I roll with it. If I'm invited out at lunch then I reorganise accordingly, life isn't planned! :)
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I usually pre-log my larger calorie meals like lunch and breakfast...and then leave room for treats: dinner calories are usually what's left for my day count + any calories earned through daily activity/exercise.
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    generally speaking, ill plan for my highest calorie meal (usually dinner), and then plan everything else around that.

Same here. I loosely plan ahead for the next day; only log ahead sometimes if I'm incorporating new things. If I eat a big meal in the morning, I feel like I don't want to stop eating all day. So, my calories are spread out randomly over the day for whenever I feel like eating with my biggest meal in the evening. This works best for me, cuts down or eliminates any night time snacking, with the added bonus of impromptu dinner or drink invites more easily managed.

ETA: Because I eat randomly, I don't have my diary broken up into breakfast/lunch/dinner/snacks. I split mine into time periods ex. 5:00AM -9:00AM, 9:00AM - Noon, etc.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym after work and I walk throughout the day so I typically plan out breakfast lunch and pre workout out food and then I see how many calories I have left after excercising and decide on dinner and snacking from there.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Breakfast, snacks and lunch are pretty standard so that is easy and then pre-log a dinner.
    If it is an unusual day - usually weekend and/or family events I pre-plan around it. But I do admit, as a 950+day logger I have developed these skills and food management strategies over time. Was not easy at the start of my jouney. Now it is second nature
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It's interesting to see how many people pre-log. I don't think that would ever work for me (I usually change my mind about dinner 32+ times a day lol) but I didn't realize it was so common.

I've made a lot of recipes over almost 2 years of logging and most fit my 500-600 calorie dinner pattern pretty easily. I know what calorie count I am looking for even if plans change.
    I do not think you need to limit yourself to eating just a few things or have to prelog everything but if you have an idea of about how many calories you usually eat at each meal it can help you make choices so you aren't posting that somehow you've used up all of your calories by lunch and what do you do now.
    Observe your own pattern and work with it. Are you a big breakfast small dinner person or the opposite? Do you tend to skip breakfast and eat bigger lunches? Do you always want an evening snack? Allot your calories accordingly.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I try to do a mix of both. Three 700 calorie meals, but adjusting the other meals to compensate for any overages or deficits from other meals [like if I only have a 600 calorie breakfast, I'd adjust either lunch or dinner to be 800 calories instead, and vice versa].
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry and try to save 400-500 calories for dinner.
  • ds41980
    ds41980 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I do not pre log anything. I do preplan meals. Around Thursday or Friday I start thinking about what I would like to eat the next week for lunch and breakfast. 2 breakfasts and 2 lunches for the week. For example my breakfasts this week were 1.overnight oatmeal and 2. Potato ham skillet; for lunch 1. bbq chicken and 2. spaghetti with meat sauce. Then I make a list of ingredients I need to make those things and cook them on the weekend sat or sun. I have pre-prepared breakfast and lunch for the week and because I entered the ingredients on recipes I know exactly how many calories the whole recipe has and can portion appropriately. Now I know how many calories are going to be in my breakfast and how many in my lunch so no matter what I do I wont go over calories during the day with my main meals. For dinner I have things in my house that I can prepare easily like turkey burger or tuna or frozen pizza. When I come home from work I log in my food and then I know what I will be able to eat for dinner based on my calorie intake thus far. Using this method I usually have 500-600 cal left for dinner and snack. I am on 1650 cal per day.

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter about the meal calories for me, as long as it all adds up to 1200-1300. I plan on eating 900 cals in one meal because I want to go to Sonic on Friday, so I'll eat 200 cals at breakfast and lunch to compensate. Today for lunch, I had pizza and that was almost 700 cals.
  • WordWhisperer
    WordWhisperer Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1440. I started thinking this would work out to 350 calories for each of three meals plus a snack.

Yeah, not so much. As most say, breakfast and lunch are on my own and predictable, whereas dinner is a family meal and I have to eat what others who are not counting calories eat... And also what they are willing to eat (read: picky kid and meat & potatoes man). So, I will go way over for the day if I budget for all meals equally.

Thus I tend to go with a predictable 160 calorie oatmeal for a late breakfast (as late as I can tolerate), or a basic omelet at around 200, and bank the rest of those calories for dinner. Then lunch is one of a variety of low calorie options depending how much prep time I have. Generally it will come in around 350 or 400.

That leaves me about 800 for dinner and snacks, which is still tight some days when I'm stress snacking in the afternoon at work. When this happens, I will either make an alternate dinner for me or adjust portion sizes to hit (close to) budget.

When I have plans to eat dinner out, I try to just keep breathing and enjoy the food and company b,ecause heck if I can manage to pull off a 500 dinner in a restaurant.

But balance is important, and savoring special occasions without falling completely off the wagon is a good and important skill for me to practice.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I don't really plan but I try to keep every meal between 300 calories plus 200 or so for snacks. But I generally just start eating and whats left over for dinner is what I get. Most days it works out.
  • idabest777
    idabest777 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I love snacks so that section usually ends up being my highest calorie section. I don't preplan all of my snacks but breakfast/lunch/dinner I always plan out for the week on mondays so I can buy all the exact groceries I need for the week and I rarely switch it up after I've planned it.

I usually keep my calories split up like:
    Breakfast: 200ish
    Lunch: 350-500
    Dinner: 300
    Snacks: 400-700
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I aim to have about 50% of my daily calories available for the evening meal.