My glute genetics are PATHETIC...slow progress despite lifting very heavy

Options

Replies

• serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    serapel wrote: »
    I think it's just bc I have such bad glute genetics and I'm just getting so frustrated bc I'm working so hard and want to see better results than what I am seeing.

how many cals should I be eating? Maintenance is 2,000, but the extra muscle I find I need about 2,200 just to feel satisfied.

I would recommend that you follow a proven routine like strongcurves. It seems like you are gathering a bunch of moves and just doing whatever. If that is what you are doing, I would suspect the results are not going to show as quickly. You don't need to do a crap-ton of moves, but make the ones you are doing good.

Also, you can eat protein, you don't need to do whey shakes at all. The only time I even think about shakes is if I am really lagging on protein.

I think I forgot to mention that I had a PT for 3.5 months recently. I learned a routine training with her also; in addition to gathering info from Bret's website.
  • grandslam1965
    grandslam1965 Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Lunges
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Again, you don't have bad genetics. You have unreasonable expectations.

How do you know this?

While the OP's expectations may be unreasonable in terms of the glute progress she can expect in just a couple of months, her genetics may limit how much "growth" she can ultimately expect in this regard. There 's just not enough info provided to know what is or will be the determining factor.

FWIW, I've got some very strong glutes but I also have an extremely flat butt and no amount of additional exercise will make them "rounder" (which I gather is the OP' s plight).
    So, the OP may never achieve the look she wants, regardless of how much or long she works on them, simply because of her genetics and her only recourse (if it's important enough to her) may be to get surgical implants.
  • Adam_Gibbons
    Adam_Gibbons Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Squeeze your glutes at the top of each movement and make sure the negative portion of your rep is slow and controlled.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I think it's just bc I have such bad glute genetics and I'm just getting so frustrated bc I'm working so hard and want to see better results than what I am seeing.

how many cals should I be eating? Maintenance is 2,000, but the extra muscle I find I need about 2,200 just to feel satisfied.

I would recommend that you follow a proven routine like strongcurves. It seems like you are gathering a bunch of moves and just doing whatever. If that is what you are doing, I would suspect the results are not going to show as quickly. You don't need to do a crap-ton of moves, but make the ones you are doing good.

Also, you can eat protein, you don't need to do whey shakes at all. The only time I even think about shakes is if I am really lagging on protein.

I think I forgot to mention that I had a PT for 3.5 months recently. I learned a routine training with her also; in addition to gathering info from Bret's website.

What's her routine? What equipment are you using? Are you increasing weight each week?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

How do you know this?

While the OP's expectations may be unreasonable in terms of the glute progress she can expect in just a couple of months, her genetics may limit how much "growth" she can ultimately expect in this regard. There 's just not enough info provided to know what is or will be the determining factor.

FWIW, I've got some very strong glutes but I also have an extremely flat butt and no amount of additional exercise will make them "rounder" (which I gather is the OP' s plight).
    So, the OP may never achieve the look she wants, regardless of how much or long she works on them, simply because of her genetics and her only recourse (if it's important enough to her) may be to get surgical implants.

OK, I will revise my comment.

The OP should not attribute her current glute condition on bad genetics but, rather, on the fact that she is a beginner to training them and has only recently started eating to grow them.

Of course we all have limitations to what we can achieve due to our genetics and natural builds. But continuing to repeat that you have bad genetics and that's why your muscles are undeveloped when the truth is that they are undeveloped because you've only been training them for 2 months after years and years of ignoring them and have only just started eating more to grow is silly. It's similar to saying "everybody in my family is fat so I am too because of my genetics." It sounds like the OP has realized this, though.
  • HeidiFuture
    HeidiFuture Posts: 54 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Do your thing at the gym, keep active. That's what counts.
  • serapel
    Options

What's her routine? What equipment are you using? Are you increasing weight each week?

Essentially its pretty much the same as Soft Curves. I do upper body cables, barbell, dumb bells, body weight and all the lower body weights I already mentioned. Upper body exercises include, low row, upper back, lower back...honestly can't remember the names of them all. I just do them and every two weeks switch from cables to dumb bells, machine to barbells, etc.

She's an excellent PT. She's 54 years old and has been doing it for decades. She has the body of a 20 year old. She's very "DO THIS OR ELSE" kind of trainer haha

Wish I could still afford her.
  • serapel
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

How do you know this?

OK, I will revise my comment.

The OP should not attribute her current glute condition on bad genetics but, rather, on the fact that she is a beginner to training them and has only recently started eating to grow them.

Of course we all have limitations to what we can achieve due to our genetics and natural builds. But continuing to repeat that you have bad genetics and that's why your muscles are undeveloped when the truth is that they are undeveloped because you've only been training them for 2 months after years and years of ignoring them and have only just started eating more to grow is silly. It's similar to saying "everybody in my family is fat so I am too because of my genetics." It sounds like the OP has realized this, though.

Yeah, I agree with this!!! I did nothing for my bum for decades and now all of a sudden I want a round bum.
  • serapel
    Options
    let's face it though...I do have poor glute genetics. I can improve it, but I do not carry much fat on my glutes and they are square shaped.

I'll keep trying and I won't give up. Hopefully in an other 2 months, I can update my picture to show off :)

I'm going to be gone until Saturday night on a camping trip. Hopefully I don't lose my tiny glute muscles haha.

I will respond on Saturday night I really appreciate all the help, info and suggestions
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Ugh...... It wasn't fashionable to have a big, round butt when I was growing up.... before Kim Kardashian and J Lo. I wish I had a flat butt like a pancake!! Don't worry about having a round butt. Not everyone thinks they are attractive.

Do your thing at the gym, keep active. That's what counts.

Wow shame much? Because everything we do is for someone else. Smh. :noway:
  • janettles
    janettles Posts: 69 Member
    Options
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    let's face it though...I do have poor glute genetics. I can improve it, but I do not carry much fat on my glutes and they are square shaped.

I'll keep trying and I won't give up. Hopefully in an other 2 months, I can update my picture to show off :)

I'm going to be gone until Saturday night on a camping trip. Hopefully I don't lose my tiny glute muscles haha.

I will respond on Saturday night I really appreciate all the help, info and suggestions

I agree with the others that say it's slow going. Are you trying to lose or gain? I did gain 3 inches in hips that's all in the butt over 3 years, but that was coming from underweight and slowly crawling up to this 20.something BMI. And it came along with bigger legs as well, more muscle all over. A couple of months just isn't long enough to do much. Butts are so strong it seems hard to load up enough weight to build mass, too.
  • serapel
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »

I agree with the others that say it's slow going. Are you trying to lose or gain? I did gain 3 inches in hips that's all in the butt over 3 years, but that was coming from underweight and slowly crawling up to this 20.something BMI. And it came along with bigger legs as well, more muscle all over. A couple of months just isn't long enough to do much. Butts are so strong it seems hard to load up enough weight to build mass, too.

Thanks. Today I tried to hold at the top for 3 seconds with 155 lbs and I could only manage 6 reps both times before my butt was on fire and I was shaking all over. I dropped the weight to 135 lbs and continued holding 3 seconds at the top. even then, I could only manage 8 reps. I did 4 sets in total holding 3 seconds at the top. Man that is bloody hard!!!

Then I did 3 sets of single leg hip thrusts with a 15 lb weight on each leg. Goblet squats holding 20 lbs, curtsey squats, reverse lunges, cable donkey kicks...finished with a reverse back extension holding 25 lbs - managed to do 50 reps dropped weight at 30 mark. Was a great work out. Took an hour.

I'm getting very strong and the results are coming in. The shape of my butt is changed and my underwear fits differently. I just look in the mirror and see a flat butt.

My goal is to add 2 inches over the next year. I would be happy with those results. I think it's definitely doable.
  • serapel
    Options
    All in all, I've put on about 4 lbs since May. I began at 125 lbs or so and I'm about 129 lbs now. It's coming along.

I am 45 years old. I'm not going to put on muscle like a 20 something. I'm just not willing to put on a lot of fat in the process, so my results may come a little slower. I'm only eating about 200 extra cals a day now.
  • serapel
    Options
    My expectations were unrealistic I believe. I just hate my flat *kitten*. :smiley:
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    One of the things Brett talks a lot about on his site and his social media accounts (particularly Instagram where he posts a ton of cool exercises) is the need to develop your upper glute muscles in order to get that round shape. He recommends a lot of banded exercises for this, lots of abductions, frog pumps, monster walks, etc. I don't see any of these in your program. Maybe have another look at his stuff and see how you can include some of these movements. They can seem like they are less important than the big squat lunge step up deadlift type stuff but they give good results.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    I have 2 female friends who have fabulous bodies from the front, but when they turn sideways or around, you can definitely see they lack round glutes. And we've done days where we just focus strictly on glutes 1-2 times a week. I believe that in some cases, glutes may not be in the cards with those who lack the genetics for it. There are guys who can't build great chests or arms regardless of how well they train them, so I don't see why it couldn't happen to a female who doesn't have great genetics for glutes either.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    My expectations were unrealistic I believe. I just hate my flat *kitten*. :smiley:

I belong to the flat *kitten* club. No nice round booty here! LOL If you were stand me and my mother side by side nobody could tell whose *kitten* was whose. Thanks/no thanks mom!! I know I've built up the glutes some, but I still see a spongebob rear in the mirror. Keep at it, maybe it'll change over time!!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Skimmed through and saw a bunch of good advice.....but didn't see anything mentioned about diet. Not saying it is the issue - but you may want to review it and make sure it isn't contributing to the problem.