Tummy tuck

Options
Hi all, I need your help! I have a loose tummy :( which really looks bad and I have tried dieting to get a normal and flat stomach, but I was not able to maintain my diet properly. So I am planning to do a tummy tuck surgery from McLan Clinic, Mississauga ( http://www.mcleanclinic.com/surgical-procedures/body/tummy-tuck-surgery/ ) and to start my diet after the surgery so that I will be more careful to keep my flat stomach. Would it be a good decision? Share your comments, please.

Replies

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I would not consider a tummy tuck until getting to a healthy, reasonable body fat level and staying there a couple of years to see how my skin recovered.

^^This!!
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    No credible surgeon would perform a tummy tuck when you still have significant weight you plan to lose, as it's a disaster waiting to happen. You won't get the desired results you want doing it this way, you will come out of this with a very odd looking stomach.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who had a tummy tuck and from what she described there's a long and painful healing process. Dieting sounds far easier. Can you take whatever time you were going to take off work for the surgery recovery and dedicate yourself to diet and exercise to get in the groove? Although I'm a fan of slow and easy, living life as normal as possible, I know that removing yourself from your current bad habits/routines and pushing the exercise aspect can be a great springboard to success. Good luck, whatever you choose to do.
  • stephaniej2888
    stephaniej2888 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    1st: if you can't maintain healthy eating before a tummy tuck then you won't be able to after. You need to focus on getting yourself healthy first and then if you still have loose skin you want to get rid of then it's your decision.
    How much would it sucks to pay all that money and go through all that pain just to gain that tummy back?

2nd: have you done some research on the pain and scarring of a tummy tuck? I have looked into it before and decided "h*** no" lol
    First of all you have a scar from hip to hip....I think I would rather have a little tummy sag then that huge scar. Second the pain is excruciating from what I've heard. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos from people who've had them and they showed off there flat tummy with this huge scar and 90% of them said if they knew how much pain they would be in there is no way they would have done it.
    One girl got breast implants and a tuck at the same time and said the tuck hurt 10x worse than the implants and recovery was much longer.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    lose the weight and keep it off for 3+ years. Alot of people end up gaining some to all the weight back after losing it. If you exercise and eat right, surgery shouldn't be required.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    If you didn't maintain a flat stomach, it was because you ate too much. Getting a tummy tuck won't solve that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I agree. Use the motivation to have the TT to lose the weight. The outcome is better, and what if you can't stick to your diet/ weight loss program? I've known a few that gained quite a bit after their TT, that's a lot of money and time to waste.

I had a TT in 2013. I was within 5 pounds of where I wanted to be. I'm happy with the results, and glad I didn't start that frustrating journey with weight to lose. Post TT your focus is on healing, you can't restrict calories, and you can't do much exercise for some time.

Realself.com has a lot of information if you haven't already found it.
  • stephaniej2888
    stephaniej2888 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    davis978 wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »
    lose the weight and keep it off for 3+ years. Alot of people end up gaining some to all the weight back after losing it. If you exercise and eat right, surgery shouldn't be required.

Absolutely NOT TRUE!!! I agree with everyone here that the OP is not ready for this procedure and shouldn't have it. But who are you to tell people that surgery "shouldn't" be required.

I was fat throughout childhood. During college, I lost half my body weight (about 150 pounds) and maintained for many years after that. I have a very significant belly apron of hanging skin that looks terrible, drastically limits the clothes I can wear, makes me feel terrible every day, and will never go away. No amount of dieting and weightlifting (which I do) is going to fix that. A lot of what skin looks like after weight loss depends on genetics. Thank your lucky stars that you won the genetic lottery and you don't need surgery, but don't you dare tell other people that they shouldn't need it either.

I totally agree!
    My best friend has had 3 children and has worked out and lost the weight after all of them. She is 5'4 and probably around 130 lbs and it great shape, but still has what she calls her "tummy flap" because of her stomach being stretched out over and over again from pregnancy. She has tried for years to get it smaller or gone and no amount of working out has changed it. She wants a tummy tuck when they can afford one and I totally support her decision!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I seems like you would want to lose the fat before tucking things in or else you might just end up with the same problem
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

Absolutely NOT TRUE!!! I agree with everyone here that the OP is not ready for this procedure and shouldn't have it. But who are you to tell people that surgery "shouldn't" be required.

I was fat throughout childhood. During college, I lost half my body weight (about 150 pounds) and maintained for many years after that. I have a very significant belly apron of hanging skin that looks terrible, drastically limits the clothes I can wear, makes me feel terrible every day, and will never go away. No amount of dieting and weightlifting (which I do) is going to fix that. A lot of what skin looks like after weight loss depends on genetics. Thank your lucky stars that you won the genetic lottery and you don't need surgery, but don't you dare tell other people that they shouldn't need it either.

Ya I agree. I was never overweight and I needed a TT. I had one single pregnancy then twins that did it in. The doc removed 10.5 inches of skin after 18 years. It never goes away for some of us. I hated playing fat roll round up every time I sat down. It wears on you.

Now if the OP wanted to have two surgeries, depending on the severity, and purpose of skin removal. Like people that have much to lose and the skin impairs their mobility, then sure, knock it out.

I think the skin can take up to a year to recover, but during the TT, they stretch you tight (if it's cosmetic). So I think that the docs call when to do it. They are good with skin types, not a forum. :wink:

OP, also know that with excess fat healing is harder. I believe there is more of a chance for dehiscence. You and your doc can figure this out. Good luck!
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options

Cool story. But you don't know if OP has the same issue as you, or if she was just a few pounds overweight and could easily get rid of her extra skin, or if she's a 90-pound anorexic with body dismorphia.

So depending on the situation, maybe she shouldn't need surgery.

No need to get all aggro without all the facts, which none of us have.