Trying to figure out calories verses burned calories

Options
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how many calories I need to burn in order to loose weight in 6 months. I'm 345 lbs and want to lose 100lbs by next summer. I gained a lot of weight in this pregnancy so far (65lbs) and my husband is a stick. I heard consuming 1,200 calories (as long as nutritional and balanced), while burning 1,700 a day by weight training and cardio; I'd be able to meet my goal easily in 6 months or less. Btw I'm also 5ft 6inches. And yes I know I shouldn't be ashamed but I am and all I want to do is have this baby and get my body back I had when I met my husband (175lbs) since I wanted this and was ready before I got pregnant. And yes I know that I would still be far away from my 175lbs goal.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Do you mean burning 1,700 total for the day including your weight training and cardio? Or do you mean you will eat 1,200, burn 1,700 through workouts, and leave your body to run on -500 calories?
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Can I assume you have now had the baby?
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You are setting yourself up to fail with that plan.
    For one, as you lose weight your body will require fewer and fewer calories to sustain itself. Starting at 1200 is starting at the bare minimum for a women, there's no where to reduce from.
    Two, rapid weight loss like that has a lot of health risks. My mom was 389lbs and she lost 100 in 6 months with severe restricting. She's now dealing with hair loss , digestion problems, gallstones, and more.
    It didn't take you 6 months to gain all that weight so have some patience for losing it.
    Also, you are currently pregnant. Focus on making healthier choices and doing light activities like walking. If you want to lose weight and KEEP it off, you need to use a plan that's sustainable LONG TERM. Otherwise you will be right back in this situation again.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Put your stats into MFP, set your weight loss goal to 2lbs/week, and eat the amount of calories it gives you. If you stick to it, you should lose around 100lbs in a year.

There's no reason to starve yourself on 1200kcal. Please don't go to such ridiculous lengths to lose 100lbs in 6 months when you could be much healthier and happier by taking a year to do it.

Sincerely, someone who started out at 368lbs and is nearly 70lbs down, and rarely eats under 2000kcal a day when exercising.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Are you currently pregnant? Dieting and pregnancy don't mix. Talk to your OB.

If you are looking to lose weight after the birth keep in mind you need a certain number of calories for milk production (if you plan to breast feed).

After the birth.......6 months is about 25 weeks. So that's about 2 (or 3 initially*) pounds x 25 = between 50 & 75 pounds. That's reasonable. Eating 1200 and exercising several hours a day for 1700 calories is way too extreme. You won't have enough fuel to get thru those workouts.

*1% of your current body weight......so as you get smaller weight loss slows.

MFP as designed will give you a minimum of 1200 calories PLUS exercise calories. The exercise calories are "generous".....so most MFP users eat back 50-75%. Eating back exercise calories gives calories for basic bodily function and fuel for your next workout. Weight loss is a marathon....not a sprint.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    chapiano wrote: »
    Can I assume you have now had the baby?

This^^

If you are still pregnant, you need to be cautious about dropping your calories. I'm not a doctor. Please talk to a doctor about this.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    If you're still pregnant - I wouldn't be soliciting advise from a blog. If you don't like what your doctor is telling you, find another doctor to get a second opinion.

That being said - I'm currently at 327, and I've lost about 11-ish pounds since the beginning of August. Realistically, I know there's now way I can keep up that pace, even if I'm perfect every day.

I've lost about 80 pounds in about 10 months - and did it without exercising. I'm not saying it's out of range - but you'll have to be really diligent in what you're eating and what you're doing to get to your goal.

It's going to take logging you're food down to the condiments. I mean EVERY-THING.
    Also, get a fitness tracker. I have a Fitbit One. There's a chart it has that shows calories in vs calories out. As long as you take in fewer calories than you burn, you WILL lose weight. I watch that graph often.

Good luck!!!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    When you say burn 1700 calories per day do you mean through all bodily processes including exercise or through exercise alone?
  • jmeyers300
    jmeyers300 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    @janejellyroll
    I mean burn 1,700 and eat 1,200 calories.

@chapiano
    I have not but I will soon 2-3more weeks. I'm only asking this question for after I have my baby. I'm not a crazy person trying to loose weight while I have my son still growing if I was I wouldn't have gained 65lbs so far.

@DaniCanadian
    Well my plan is to go to a nutrtionist/dietitian if I can't loose any weight in a month. I am married and my husband is a stick literally and recently he just said he wants to gain more muscle which is easy as heck for him if he just eats more than his regular still a lot diet. And I am currently pregnant but only have a couple more weeks left but just trying to get some advice for after our son comes. And I'd really love to be able to be 100lbs down by next summer since we are going to Florida and I can't stand being this over weight in front of my husband that's a twig in front of other women that are also skinny at the beach. I'm not one to want a bikini but it would be nice if I didn't have to feel as self conscience since I used to be 175lbs when I met my husband 4 yrs ago. I'm also very jealous that I know he will be able to gain his muscle and look sexy while I still look like a whale and people stair at us now because I'm heavy and he's skinny (which I totally get why because I used to be that girl that would stair for at least a couple seconds and wonder why they were together) but right now I don't feel as self conscience about it because I'm pregnant and my belly is huge because of our son that's healthy so I don't feel as bad as I know I will feel when I don't have a reasonable excuse to why my tummy is big. And I wanted to loose weight before this baby but I'm just happy we could conceive. I know I'll be down at least 15-20lbs a couple weeks after our sons born because of all the water retention (literally feel like a balloon ready to pop in my legs, arms, hands, feet, everywhere) and our son is going to weigh 8-10lbs.

@daniip_la

Thanks for your advice and I have a lot more than 100lbs to loose and unfortunately only a year and a half to loose it. I won't have another pregnancy without being fit again it sucked and my husband and I want our kids to be no more than 2 years apart (doesn't have to be exact) but it took us 2 yrs to get lucky with this one. And my husband is a stick and I just want to be skinny again so badly. I'll try my best to try not to go overboard once our son is born but I'm so disgusted with myself. . .I love my mom but I'm to her weight that I told myself I'd never be and there's health problems I'd like to void as much as possible.

@TeaBea

I am currently pregnant but this question is mainly for after I have our son since I wouldn't have gained 65lbs this pregnancy if I was worried about myself gaining weight. I am due between now (@38weeks)and 2-3more weeks. What would be the correct calories then for me? And I sometimes believe the calories burned on the exercise log are not completely accurate. And I do plan on doing half breast milk and half formula. And I'm not good at math so idk how you'd calculate that but after baby I'll probably be 330lbs, I'm 5ft 6inches, and my ultimate goal is to be 180 lbs(close to the weight I was when I met my husband 4 yrs ago) but I know that'll take a long time; Id settle to be back at 269lbs at the very least before summer. I'd LOVE it if I could loose 100lbs and be 230lbs by next summer though. I plan on getting a nutrtionist /dietitian to help me get portion control and nutrients under control if I can't loose anything in the first month which I don't expect to loose a lot the first month just a couple pounds minus the swelling/water retention & baby.

@quiksylver296

I am currently pregnant but only have a couple weeks left BUT THIS QUESTION IS SOLELY FOR AFTER I HAVE THE BABY. But thank you for being concerned. I have common sense for other beings more than myself so luckily I'm not willing to put my son in danger for me to loose weight.

@cebreisch
    Thank you I've read it's possible to do it healthy as long as you get the right nutrition and that's awesome you've lost that much weight! Also yes I don't expect it to be a walk in the park. And yes I am currently pregnant but this question is solely for AFTER I have our son in a couple weeks. And yes it'll be a lot to take on but I'm so ready to have this weight off and my husband is a twig that recently decided he wants to get some muscle so basically I'll be even more looking like crap compared to him then normal which really pisses me off but he hasn't made any comment on my weight but still my confidence level is at an all time low and my frustration/anger is at an all time record high for myself and in general. I plan on getting a fitbit charge HR and a nutrtionist /dietitian too since I'm horrible with portion control and I can't eat like my husband can.

@brianpperkins
    I read it online some where so I really don't know which one is better.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Your body is burning calories 24/7. Even if you were in a coma your body would be burning calories, that number is your BMR (basal metabolic rate).

BMR + activity level + deliberate exercise = TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). This TDEE is the number of calories you require to maintain your current weight. There are several TDEE calculators on-line: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

You can choose 3 pounds a week initially (1% of what you weigh) - that's a 1500 calorie deficit. Take your TDEE (include the amount of exercise you intend to do) and subtract 1500 calories. There is no "have to burn xx calories." No one has to exercise to lose weight. Exercise is great for health and fitness though.

As you become smaller, change to a 2 pound a week goal (1,000 calories).....and eventually a 1 pound goal (500 calories). The reason for the step down, as you become smaller your calorie needs are smaller (your exercise calorie burns are smaller). It becomes unhealthy to maintain a large deficit with a small TDEE. You have certain minimum nutrition requirements to fulfill.

You can't fuel heart, lungs, kidneys etc. on negative calories.....such as eat 1200 and burn an additional 1700 calories thru exercise. This is incredibly dangerous.
  • FLBeachluvr
    FLBeachluvr Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are putting a lot of pressure on yourself and are too concerned with what others think. I would suggest that you reconsider why you want to lose weight and focus on getting to a healthy weight so that you can enjoy doing things with your son and being a healthy wife and mother. Good luck!
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    jmeyers300 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how many calories I need to burn in order to loose weight in 6 months. I'm 345 lbs and want to lose 100lbs by next summer. I gained a lot of weight in this pregnancy so far (65lbs) and my husband is a stick. I heard consuming 1,200 calories (as long as nutritional and balanced), while burning 1,700 a day by weight training and cardio; I'd be able to meet my goal easily in 6 months or less. Btw I'm also 5ft 6inches. And yes I know I shouldn't be ashamed but I am and all I want to do is have this baby and get my body back I had when I met my husband (175lbs) since I wanted this and was ready before I got pregnant. And yes I know that I would still be far away from my 175lbs goal.

You can do this but please realize that eating at a deficit and exercising will decrease milk flow and you may have to completely bottle feed after a few months.

Before starting, go to the goals section and enter your stats and goal to lose 2lbs/week. Set your activity to sedentary but enable negative adjustments. This allows your calorie allowance to change throughout the day depending on how active you really are. The important thing is not to be afraid to eat over 1200 calories on active days. If you eat too few, you'll be tired, sluggish, and be prone to the hungry/angry aka hangry moods, and that's not good while taking care of a newborn.

Next go buy a food scale. It really works when you accurately measure your food. It's not OCD; it's a science. When you get your Fitbit, sync it to mfp and you'll get a fairly accurate estimation of the calories you burn and how many you can eat while still losing 2 or more pounds each week. If mfp shows that you can eat 2500 calories because of your exercise, even though you may be set at 1200, don't be afraid to eat most of them. You'll still lose the 2lbs or more each week.

Good luck and congratulations on the new baby!

• DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @CaptainJoy if she goes on the severe restriction she's wanting to, then yes she can compromise her milk supply, especially if she does it right after the baby is born.
    But you can still have a deficit and successfully breastfeed. Op, don't restrict in the first 4-8 weeks after baby is born because your body and baby will be nursing a lot to establish a good supply. After that, if you set myfitnesspal to lose 2lbs per week you need to add 500 cals per day as exercise for the breastfeeding and make sure you eat that.
    My bubs is just over 6 months and that's what I did. I was eating about 2000 cals per day (I'm 5'3 and sw after baby was born was 185). I'm currently at 168 but I also ate more when she was growth spurting and cluster feeding.
    Now she is on solid foods and only nurses about 5 times per day. I'm down to eating 1700 cals and still losing weight.
    That's why I recommend you start slow with reducing your cals, you will eventually need to drop them to continue to lose.

Edit: I forgot to mention you need to drink a *kitten* ton of water. Waters the most important thing for producing milk.
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to go ahead and get a food scale now, so that you can get a better feel for portion sizes now. Now to be dieting now, but because once the baby comes, you will be busy and tired. Right now you can just get a feel for how much you are eating and see which things seem like way too many calories for how much you enjoy them or how much they fill you up.

I would strongly suggest giving full time breastfeeding a go at least for the first several weeks to get the baby well established before introducing a bottle. You may be lucky and be one of the ladies for whom breastfeeding really helps lose weight. I was and it was great. And remember, that when you are breastfeeding, you need to eat more because you are producing all the milk for your baby. I think the estimate is 500 calories a day (I've seen it listed as exercise). Once your supply is established, you can use those breastfeeding calories for your deficit.

Good luck! And remember that it took a while to gain the weight, it will take a while to lose it as well. But you will lose a bunch in the first week after the baby is born (baby, placenta, extra fluid, etc).
  • nddavis1
    nddavis1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It's really simple - eating 500 calories less a day than your BMR - which you can google to find out what yours is would equate to 1lb loss a week - in a addition 500 calories burned a day for 7 days would equate to a lb loss.
    If I was you I would work out your BMR - you have a rate which you need to eat to be alive, take 500 off of that a day...keep adjusting as you lose weight....1200 is the minimum for a woman....Good luck, hope that keeps it simple...everything you exercise would be an addition and also adds to weight loss and tone etc.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    nddavis1 wrote: »
    It's really simple - eating 500 calories less a day than your BMR - which you can google to find out what yours is would equate to 1lb loss a week - in a addition 500 calories burned a day for 7 days would equate to a lb loss.
    If I was you I would work out your BMR - you have a rate which you need to eat to be alive, take 500 off of that a day...keep adjusting as you lose weight....1200 is the minimum for a woman....Good luck, hope that keeps it simple...everything you exercise would be an addition and also adds to weight loss and tone etc.

I'm hoping you meant TDEE, not BMR. No one should be eating under their BMR.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    It's really easy to get frustrated in this process. Didn't mean to sound condescending in my post - so my apologies if I was. I get frustrated really easy with the "mental aspect" of this process a lot. Just wanted to say good luck - and hope everything works out well.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    @DaniCanadian I agree with the emphasis on water. I didn't have that luxury in the 90's when I was nursing my baby in Germany.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    daniip_la wrote: »
    nddavis1 wrote: »

I'm hoping you meant TDEE, not BMR. No one should be eating under their BMR.

There's nothing magical about BMR - if you're sedentary, it's very possible to eat below your BMR and be healthy about it. For example, someone 250 lb. with a BMR of 1900 and a TDEE of 2600 could easily eat at 1600 calories (2 lb/week loss) even though it's below their BMR. If you're very active, though, your TDEE is far above your BMR and then it would be quite a high deficit.

Anyhow, it's not a sprint, it's a marathon - the important thing is making incremental progress, keeping it off, and being as happy and healthy as you can at each weight.
  • jmeyers300
    jmeyers300 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'd like to let everyone know that I have lost 46 lbs in the last month 98% of it was swelling and baby. Now I have a flab that if anyone has seen the movie click that I just am dying to get rid of / can flab around lol. But anyhow I'm losing 2 lbs a week now being 4 weeks postpartum on friday October 7th. I decided against breast feeding and have not been able to get my fitbit yet but will soon. I literally have not been trying to loose weight at all. I just know I have been since I weigh myself every Monday between 5 and 10pm. I really hope to go back to the doctors soon and give them the finger because they made me feel like a huge whale. I'm 295 today and when I went in to have our son I was 339lbs. (If my math is off I am sorry sleep deprived I am) and using my phone so I can't use my calculator without exiting this screen and not being able to come back) thank you so much everyone! Gave birth to a baby boy weighing 8 lbs and 2oz 20 1/2 inches 5mins before midnight and he's now 10.5lbs being almost a month old. :)