Anyone hit a goal below 120?

Options

Replies

• minime0424
    minime0424 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It's merely a matter of going into your goals on MFP and switching it to ami rain weight, then if you click back to your diary it will show you the calories needed to maintain your weight, slash 500-1000 off of that number as long as it isn't under 1200 calories a day. Then go back to your goals and set your goal based on that deficit. It not impossible by any means to drop that 10, 11 pounds; it just may take you a little longer to lose it because you are already at a good weight. Everyone is different though, so you won't know till you have a good calorie deficit, and stick to it for a few weeks.
  • lovingmommy13
    lovingmommy13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and 145 I want to be down to 115 or 120 I was 110 before having a baby but I always tell myself I can't get down the that again but for me weight isn't going to matter all I want to matter is how I look and feel when I get to my goal
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    cosmonew wrote: »
    that is a reasonable goal. I always dream of getting to the 5-4 120 spectrum, (My mum used to say the guide was 5'5 at 125 and 5 lbs down per each inch) so 5'3" should be doable...however, what about fitness, are you doing some? Maybe weight training would give you the shape your looking for although the numbers would no doubt be higher due to muscle weight.

This^

Strength training is great for shaping your body. Look into recomposition - you may not necessarily need to lose any weight, just add muscle while losing a bit of fat.

Decades ago I dieted down to 106 pounds (I'm 5'5" tall). I did this because I was going to have thin thighs for the first time since childhood. Guess what - I was under weight & still hated my thighs (I'm a pear). My point is, diet without strength training may never get you the look you want.
  • jvtchong
    jvtchong Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'd like to get back to 115 from 127. I've accepted that it's going to be slow going considering I'm short and have no desire to starve myself in the process. No multiple pound losses for me. I'm healthier overall and my body is slowly adjusting to getting stronger and leaner. Patience is key I guess!
  • anna1m
    anna1m Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    While breast feeding, my small frame went down to 95 lbs ( 5"2). Basically I was not eating enough or sleeping enough. I have a tiny bone structure so the dr.said that technically I was not underweight.
    At that weight I had flabby arms, a poochy tummy, wobbly thighs- it was not attractive.
    Now after lifting for a couple of years and eating around 1600 calories a day, I am 115lbs and look a million times better. I have muscle, I am strong, I have defined abs, people comment on the muscles in my back and shoulders, my thighs have defined muscle, I am at 19℅ bf (approx) and I feel great.
    So the number on the scale is not always a great display of fitness or health.
    Your goal is your goal, and obviously I have to right to tell you what is good or bad for you. I just wanted to give an alternative perspective.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 years old, 5' 4", and weigh 120lbs. It is possible, but it will require time. It took me six months to lose eight pounds last year, but I got there. When you are already a healthy weight, it's really hard to lose those last vanity pounds.

I didn't starve myself, but what I did was to figure out the largest number of calories I could eat per day and still lose. I lost on 1670 calories per day. Sure, I could have eaten fewer calories and lost faster, but I feel better eating enough to fuel my workouts.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    minime0424 wrote: »
    It's merely a matter of going into your goals on MFP and switching it to ami rain weight, then if you click back to your diary it will show you the calories needed to maintain your weight, slash 500-1000 off of that number as long as it isn't under 1200 calories a day. Then go back to your goals and set your goal based on that deficit. It not impossible by any means to drop that 10, 11 pounds; it just may take you a little longer to lose it because you are already at a good weight. Everyone is different though, so you won't know till you have a good calorie deficit, and stick to it for a few weeks.

why does she have to do that? she can just plug in her stats and set it to lose .5lbs a week and go from there. mfp will calculate her deficit.
  • jvtchong
    jvtchong Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    why does she have to do that? she can just plug in her stats and set it to lose .5lbs a week and go from there. mfp will calculate her deficit.[/quote]

MFP will not go below 1200 cals. My maintenance is around 1400 - no matter which choice of losing I plug in my suggested calories do not change - lose 1 lbs - 1200 daily goal lose .25 lbs - 1200 daily goal.
  • _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    anna1m wrote: »
    While breast feeding, my small frame went down to 95 lbs ( 5"2). Basically I was not eating enough or sleeping enough. I have a tiny bone structure so the dr.said that technically I was not underweight.
    At that weight I had flabby arms, a poochy tummy, wobbly thighs- it was not attractive.
    Now after lifting for a couple of years and eating around 1600 calories a day, I am 115lbs and look a million times better. I have muscle, I am strong, I have defined abs, people comment on the muscles in my back and shoulders, my thighs have defined muscle, I am at 19℅ bf (approx) and I feel great.
    So the number on the scale is not always a great display of fitness or health.
    Your goal is your goal, and obviously I have to right to tell you what is good or bad for you. I just wanted to give an alternative perspective.

This!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    No. But that wouldn't be appropriate for my height. Height and gender are important variables (as is age, to an extent). At 5'3" 120# would put you at a BMI of about 21. Sounds reasonable.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    cosmonew wrote: »
    that is a reasonable goal. I always dream of getting to the 5-4 120 spectrum, (My mum used to say the guide was 5'5 at 125 and 5 lbs down per each inch) so 5'3" should be doable...however, what about fitness, are you doing some? Maybe weight training would give you the shape your looking for although the numbers would no doubt be higher due to muscle weight.

I always learned: 5'0" and 100Lbs then 5Lbs per inch. So yeah.
  • Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and down to 106.6 lbs, it's possible, but I'd focus more on measurements than scale numbers cause that's deceptive. Even at my weight I have belly fat (as in pinchable fat), but very lean everywhere else.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" and was down to 113 LBs at my absolute lowest weight. I got there by restricting calories obsessively and 80% cardio exercise, two or three times per day. I looked sick and skeletal. Since then I've bumped up to 120 - 125 and maintain here with a combo of CICO, cardio, HIIT, boxing and lifting heavy. It's possible.
  • CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    This thread is really encouraging. I am 46, 5' 4" and currently at 135, down from 200 (over 8 months). I am astounded by how good my body looks and determined to 'finish' this amazing job I have started. I have never really bothered about how I look, so this is a whole new chapter in my life.

Whilst I am not too worried about the number on the scale, I think another 10lbs would do it, so my target is 125. However, if that's not it, I will just carry on.

I work out at home with a small gym setup 5 days a week for 90 mins and I work hard! I have a Treadmill, kettlebells, dumb bells & olympic bar. I also have the beachfront outside of my front door and it's a stony beach, so great for working the thighs. It's my middle section I am aiming to re-shape and I am just blown away by having abs! I look better in clothes, as it hides any saggy/wrinkly bits.

I used to wear a UK 20 size top , but I just bought today bought a size 8 which is only a tiny bit tight, so will look amazing in 10lbs.

So, whilst my goal is a little more than 120, I don't know why 120 would not be achievable :smiley:
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I am 120-125ish (i'm scared to weigh myself and get the calipers out as i've been on an exercise restriction due to a head injury for a few months) now, but only because of inactivity and being really really low on money. When i was eating really healthy, really active and in my prime i was around 110, and i'm the same height as you - 5'3, give or take.

I never focused much on the numbers though, as doing such made me miserable. Instead i focused on how i felt and in which direction i was going (Ie. - did i get more or less sleep than usual? Did i eat more or less produce? Junk/processed food? Did i have a longer jog? Did i manage to lift more? Do i have more energy today? Am i happier or sad?). For me, it just made more sense, but i understand some people don't get as caught up in the numbers and have no problem with it.

It is possible to hit 120, as long as you eat less than your body is burning off on a daily basis, are realistic with your portion sizes, and stick with it. :) I started somewhere between 150-160, and at my lowest was (IMO) too low, so i gained weight back and i'm happy with my body at 110, as i love being muscular while also curvy, as i naturally also have an hourglass figure, and being healthy while in shape makes me physically feel the best.

We all come in different shapes and sizes though - and i've come across people of the same height and similar body type whose bodies are the happiest just above 120. So if you can't get your body below 120 without a fight, don't sacrifice your health happiness or anything else, it's not worth it. You know?
  • fposte2016
    fposte2016 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Really enjoying the good info on this thread focusing on a smaller range of weight loss (which definitely still feels impossible to me despite knowing it's mathematically obtainable).
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    The appropriate goal weight varies for each individual based on a number of things but including, as @Sabine_Stroehm said height, gender, and body composition.

For what you have described, as 5'3 and currently at 129-130 you want to lose about 10 lbs. It would put you still at a healthy BMI, and it is definitely doable, but the question is do you want to adhere to a deficit to lose that last 10 lbs? For 10lbs you should aim to lose 0.5 lb/week or a deficit of 250 cals. I missed if you said you had lost weight previously or if this recent 6 week tracking was the beginning for you? If your logging is accurate and you believe your maintenance calorie intake is 1600-1700 then that means you would aim for 1350-1450 for your deficit goal.

The question to ask yourself is - is it the scale weight that matters or a particular body aesthetic you are aiming for? Maybe you don't need to lose more weight, maybe you need to focus on strength training and eating at maintenance to recomp your body.

• WinoGelato
    Options
    minime0424 wrote: »

If she only has 10 lbs to lose, then 500-1000 cal deficit would be far too great for her.
  • spinderellaj
    spinderellaj Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wow. Thank you to everyone who has played in this thread, I appreciate the support and motivation so much! It's awesome to hear a) that YES it is possible, b) to get back to lifting and c) that I'm not the only one who feels this way!

I will aim for 1350-1400 cas a day or so, I'm definitely determined to do this the right way. I have lost weight before by pretty severe restriction and I looked sick and knew it wasn't sustainable. I want to look healthy! I have a naturally muscular body, being a former athlete, and worry about building too much muscle. I just want my darn legs to be skinnier! But I'm also a pear...maybe I will always just have bigger legs. I'll get skeletal up top before losing my thighs, it seems.

In any case, I would like to try on a healthy 120 and see.

Thanks everybody!
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Wow. Thank you to everyone who has played in this thread, I appreciate the support and motivation so much! It's awesome to hear a) that YES it is possible, b) to get back to lifting and c) that I'm not the only one who feels this way!

I will aim for 1350-1400 cas a day or so, I'm definitely determined to do this the right way. I have lost weight before by pretty severe restriction and I looked sick and knew it wasn't sustainable. I want to look healthy! I have a naturally muscular body, being a former athlete, and worry about building too much muscle. I just want my darn legs to be skinnier! But I'm also a pear...maybe I will always just have bigger legs. I'll get skeletal up top before losing my thighs, it seems.

In any case, I would like to try on a healthy 120 and see.

Thanks everybody!

You aren't going to "build too much muscle".

Give this a read.
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!