How do you eat your oatmeal?

Options
I am attempting to eat mine this morning and struggling...

I have some blueberries, cinnamon, and butter. It's not good. In any way.

What is a way to make it better, while keeping it healthy?

Replies

• MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options
    Good question! This morning I tried to make mine like McDonald's with apples, raisins, cinnamon & nutmeg . . . didn't taste the same :/
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I get the 100 calorie packs of brown sugar cinnamon. I add a tbsp. of light butter. extra cinnamon and some extra truvia brown sugar. (only 5 calories per tsp). I sometimes add a spoonful of splenda to sweeten it more. I don't like fruit in mine. If I have room I will have a piece of toast and light butter with it also. I love my oatmeal!

If I don't have room for the extra fat from the butter, I will eat the same oatmeal packet with some splenda in it, and a few Lilys diet chocolate chips.
  • Alishia6606
    Alishia6606 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I could only get half of it down. The fruit did sweeten it a little, but not much.

Apple and cinnamon sound pretty good too!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Mixed with butter, brown sugar, flour on top of blueberries and baked into a Crisp
  • Alishia6606
    Options
    Wow! I didn't know there were so many ways. :) thank you all for awesome ideas! Can't wait to try them out!
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Full fat milk and honey
  • Alishia6606
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Why eat oatmeal if you don't like it?

One of the changes that I've made is that I don't waste my calories eating things that I don't like.

Is there some food that will fill the roll that oatmeal does in your diet that you would rather eat instead?

I haven't eaten much oatmeal in my life. I read that I was good for you and thought I would give it a try. But wanted to see if there were other ways of making it before I gave up on the whole idea of it. :smile:

Today was my first attempt. I do feel quite full, despite only eating half of the serving.

As far as other foods, I'm not big on eggs, they smell bad to me, and cereal never tasted good, except the apple cinnamon Cheerios. I don't know what else I can do for breakfast. Usually I just have a cup of coffee and call it good.

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Why eat oatmeal if you don't like it?

One of the changes that I've made is that I don't waste my calories eating things that I don't like.

Is there some food that will fill the roll that oatmeal does in your diet that you would rather eat instead?

I haven't eaten much oatmeal in my life. I read that I was good for you and thought I would give it a try. But wanted to see if there were other ways of making it before I gave up on the whole idea of it. :smile:

Today was my first attempt. I do feel quite full, despite only eating half of the serving.

As far as other foods, I'm not big on eggs, they smell bad to me, and cereal never tasted good, except the apple cinnamon Cheerios. I don't know what else I can do for breakfast. Usually I just have a cup of coffee and call it good.

You don't have to eat breakfast if you don't want to.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I really want to like oatmeal, but can't get it near my face long enough to taste it! The sight and smell undo me!
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I didn't start liking oatmeal until I started using the steel cut oat. I cook a big batch, add whatever fruit you want to it. Let it cool and then refrigerate. The next morning I spoon some into a bowl heat it and the add a few scoops of Vanilla Greek yogurt!!! Mmmmmm so good!!
  • HeatherLeAnn622
    HeatherLeAnn622 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I actually eat mine with a spoonful of honey peanut butter. :) It's really filling and adds a little sweetness also.
  • uglycrying
    uglycrying Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I take mine with some banana chopped up on top and a tablespoon of almond butter. Other times I add a 2-3 teaspoons of brown sugar. Strawberries and banana are another good combination of toppings to me. For whatever reason I was disappointed in blueberries on oatmeal, though I love them.

Perhaps it will grow on you. There are some variations in oatmeal so perhaps try different types.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Peanut butter and jelly (like 1 tablespoon of each).

there is no other way
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Quite watery with honey. It's basically like a thick, hot honey drink. Unsurprisingly, I "eat" it from a mug.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    With vegan butter and salt! Yum!