4 day binge after 8 weeks of being "sober". Help?

Options
I managed to go a full 8 weeks without binge-eating (my record in 2 years) until this week. I've binged on tons of junk I don't normally eat these past 4 days. I feel terrible mentally and physically. Sometimes I get severe back and stomach pain after eating an estimate of 5000 calories and I worry about my stomach rupturing. The pain is still not enough to stop me from binging because as soon as I feel better the next day, I do it again! I do 40-60 hr fasts and copious amounts of exercise (30 km of walking/jogging) following my binge eating episodes to compensate for some of the weight gain. After I complete my fasting and exercise ritual, my blood pressure drops to dangerously low levels and I end up feeling faint and exhausted. I still binge the next day which reverses all of my hard work. A few days ago, the discomfort, pain and guilt I felt almost brought me to the hospital. I'm literally shaking right now as I'm writing this. I have an all-or-nothing mentality.. if I break my diet just a little, I'll be very inclined to screw up big time and eat the whole refrigerator. I weigh myself every morning and I'm obsessed with food. I think about calories, weight and food 24/7 even when things are going well. I feel ashamed knowing that I have to start from day 1 tomorrow after so much hard work. Help!?

Replies

• tiffanycompton33
    tiffanycompton33 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know about this? Is there something that triggers it? I keep seeing these commercials for Vyvanse for Binge eating disorder. But I think this is something that should be talked about with a professional.
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    This is why I plan my cheat days ahead of time.
    It puts me in control of when I'm out of control...lol And I lost 110 pounds with a weekly cheat day.
  • 4whirlygigs4
    4whirlygigs4 Posts: 6 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I would binge too if I fasted for 60 hours. Try eating at maintenance the next time instead to get off the binge/fast roller coaster.

I'd also recommend seeking out professional help to find out why you binge in the first place and to brainstorm coping strategies.
  • ThePrettyHateMachine
    Options
    My therapist helped me a lot with this. I have BED binge eating disorder. I am doing a lot better with it thanks to therapy and food/exercise changes. I was the exact same way. Example: I'd go in the kitchen and hork down 3 peices or bread for no good reason. It was bad. I had to work through WHY I was doing it. It wasn't really JUST; bored, stressed, etc. there were reasons. Mine being trauma/abuse related along with other things. I am doing A LOT better now. If you aren't seeing someone for it I recommend it. The pill might help as a band aid, but for me a pill wouldn't cover what my therapist did. Hope that helps! o:)

SW: 310+
    CW: 260
    GW: 150"ish"
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    you say your binges wipe out all your "hard work" what hard work? starving yourself for 40 to 60 hours? that hard work? honey, you need to seek help from a professional.

you don't even look overweight. so by the sounds of things, you need to see your doctor and possibly a therapist to discuss whats really going on with you internally. sometimes the outward acting out is merely a symptom of a greater issue being held inside. Seek help.
  • queenbekks
    queenbekks Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I also recommend that you seek help. BED is a real thing, and it really sounds like you could have that going on. In the meantime, stop the fasting cycle immediately. Your blood sugar alone will cause you to binge at that point, and add low blood pressure on top of that.... PLAN to eat at least at maintenance, or maybe 200 cals over for a few days. Then slowly cycle back down a few calories at a time. I find it much easier to break out of a binge cycle doing this.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    See a doctor. And stop punishing yourself by 'fasting' (starving yourself) afterwards
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I had major issues with binge eating when I got to my lowest weight (around 100 from 310). I learned several things, I usually had issues when I was short on sleep, working out too much, not eating enough fat, or not eating enough in general. So the worst thing you can do is try to "make up" for a binge. All you will do is bring on another one. Just accept that it happened and start over. Take a look at your daily calorie goal and make sure it isn't too low, and make sure you are eating enough fat.
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Goodness. Did anything trigger the binge? Personally I don't see anything as bad food. I have my calorie count each day and stick to it. Which means there's no 'cheat' meals or bed to fast or binge. If I choose to consume all those calories in Mcdonald meals so be it. Or eat them all as vegetables.
    I think what you're doing is dangerous. The fasting the intense exercise. There's no need for either.
    Try figure out a daily limit which you feel you could try so that you can lose weight if that's the goal, eat what u want in it then if u do exercise or not it won't matter because at that level you'll be at a weight loss goal anyway. If u choose to do exercise you could choose to eat some of those calories back.
    I find alot of people on here diet and totally change the way they eat as to exclude any food they like which makes them binge or fast. Your body needs consistency and to make it work it has to be sustainable. Good luck. Maybe go see someone if u think you have an unhealthy relationship with food and exercise.