What food/Restaurant makes you feel...blah?

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    McDonald's
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    Buffets just make me sick. Might as well take the plate of food in the bathroom and flush it down the toilet.....or maybe just the $$ so I don't have to feel bloated, nauseated, and plain nasty. Especially Chinese buffets. Off limits. Unfortunately for me, Chipotle - I've tried several different things and, nope. BK - really bad. KFC - have mercy. DQ - only get a mini blizzard probably 1 time a year. McD - haven't done in over 3 years. Used to eat the heck out of Taco Bell - went 1 time in the last 3 years and well, not to be gross - it came back up faster than it went down. Cooper's Hawk or Cantina Laredo fits my bill if I am careful what I get there (except the margaritas or a nice glass of wine)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Popeyes, Pizza Hut, and Smashburger. I swear I could feel the salt in my body for 2 days after. Never again.
  • stephaniej2888
    stephaniej2888 Posts: 93 Member
    GYATagain wrote: »
    Buffets just make me sick. Might as well take the plate of food in the bathroom and flush it down the toilet.....or maybe just the $$ so I don't have to feel bloated, nauseated, and plain nasty. Especially Chinese buffets. Off limits. Unfortunately for me, Chipotle - I've tried several different things and, nope. BK - really bad. KFC - have mercy. DQ - only get a mini blizzard probably 1 time a year. McD - haven't done in over 3 years. Used to eat the heck out of Taco Bell - went 1 time in the last 3 years and well, not to be gross - it came back up faster than it went down. Cooper's Hawk or Cantina Laredo fits my bill if I am careful what I get there (except the margaritas or a nice glass of wine)

I'm right there with you on buffets. Like I said in my OP, I think that place is just plain gross but I gave in a went where the family wanted...and then totally regretted that decision lol
    The only buffet I have even been to that I loved was the one at the Wynn Hotel in Vegas. Everything tasted so good! Lol
    I also feel ya on the Tacobell (TacoHell as I call it now lol), that stuff doesn't stay in long and I always feel like garbage...I haven't had that in probably close to a year though.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Pretty much any franchise chain...even the "high end" ones seem to be sub-standard fare to me. For the same price I can go to a local restaurant that is using fresher, higher quality ingredients and making incredible meals, not to mention an overall wonderful dining experience.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Pizza from any restaurant, which is also my favorite food. I'm learning that although it taste good my body doesn't like it so much now that I can actually notice a difference in energy.

I do still eat it but now I make my own.
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    My general ideal to strive toward comes from Jack Lalanne...
    a7wi2jk5ovpb.jpg

"if man makes it, don't eat it".
    That's a very strict, whole food yoke to carry all the time. I get there about 70%.
    Close enough...
    If I am going to blow that, it's going to be in a nice restaurant - not some chain just shoveling food.
    Life is to be lived, and eating is mostly about nutrition, but it's also about pleasure.
    I love fine dining, but it's never worth it to just go to some dump slopping up garbage. I'd rather pass through a grocery and pick up a salad or something.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    There's a variety of places I won't eat at - 1) because they don't have anything healthy, and 2) because I'm a Vegetarian and they wouldn't have anything for me. Ditto what everyone said regarding buffets - I'm not a Princess, but when I go out, I like to be served. I hate the thought of dozens upon dozens of people scooping food out of a trough - no. Pretty much all fast food places - nope. I like to know in advance where we're going out so I can go to the restaurants' website and see what they offer (and better if they have the calories posted).
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Pretty much any franchise chain...even the "high end" ones seem to be sub-standard fare to me. For the same price I can go to a local restaurant that is using fresher, higher quality ingredients and making incredible meals, not to mention an overall wonderful dining experience.

What about Ruth's Chris? The Palm? Smith & Wollensky's? Season's 52 isn't bad either for middle of the road dining.
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member

What about Ruth's Chris? The Palm? Smith & Wollensky's? Season's 52 isn't bad either for middle of the road dining.
    These are fine with me, but I know guys who'd never go to any of these.
    They just don't cut it, but again, my tastes are not as high standard as a dining connoisseur.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Return2Fit wrote: »

These are fine with me, but I know guys who'd never go to any of these.
    They just don't cut it, but again, my tastes are not as high standard as a dining connoisseur.

Some would argue that Peter Lugar wins hands down, but while the steak truly is marvelous I've never had a thing for their kitsch
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Ok so I haven't really completely cut anything out of my eating, I'm just eating smaller portions that fit into my daily allowance if I want something.
    I am not a fan (at all!) Of Golden Coral.....I think the food there is nasty to be honest, but my husband and son wanted to go last night for dinner...so we went.

I ate a few popcorn shrimp, rotisserie chicken, green beans and a little Mac n cheese.....and I woke up feeling bloated and just all around gross even though I stayed in my daily calorie/fat/carb/etc.
    I haven't felt like that from any other place.

What place or food makes you feel gross the next day?

Any place that doesn't have any food options that are worth the calories. Basically, a bad restaurant. I try to avoid them on principle.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

I'm right there with you on buffets. Like I said in my OP, I think that place is just plain gross but I gave in a went where the family wanted...and then totally regretted that decision lol
    The only buffet I have even been to that I loved was the one at the Wynn Hotel in Vegas. Everything tasted so good! Lol
    I also feel ya on the Tacobell (TacoHell as I call it now lol), that stuff doesn't stay in long and I always feel like garbage...I haven't had that in probably close to a year though.

I normally hate buffets -- have since I was a kid and my grandparents would take us to them and everyone else there was old. It's horrible and mean but they felt like old people places and the food at the ones where my grandparents took us wasn't that good either. (Loved hanging out with my grandparents, though.)

I assumed it was some "touched by the Great Depression" thing, but recently my parents (early 70s) started occasionally going to a 5 pm buffet with some friends of theirs. Luckily they mostly go to other places, as that makes them seem so old!

On the other hand, a friend of mine insisted on the brunch buffet at Shaw's Crab House for her birthday meal and with a group that was pretty fun and worthwhile: http://bucket2.shawscrabhouse.com/wp-content/uploads/chicago-brunch-1.pdf

Definitely more than satisfied afterwards, and felt fine, but not diet friendly unless you plan in advance.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Mackerel and tinned salmon (fresh is fine). Both are migraine triggers for me.

Anything double carbs, like Frankie and Benny's typical stuff. Leaves me bloated and lethargic without feeling properly full. I'd order salad, instead of fries, but their salads are dire.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    I also can't do Ihop. Things are fine and dandy until about 20-30 minutes after eating it and then I'm looking for the nearest bathroom.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    KFC, Popeyes, etc. Fried meat smells so nasty to me.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member

I agree about the Wynn - I've also been to the buffets at Aria and Bellagio and I don't think those even qualify. The way the food tends to be presented individually (plated, rather than coming out of huge warming pans) and the quality makes it worlds away from cheap Chinese or whatever. I'd rather not eat than eat at most buffets, but higher-end Vegas hotel buffets are usually quite a pleasure comparatively.

I have a soft spot for the Wynn buffet after one of the servers there snuck me a venti to-go cup of sparkling wine and said I didn't drink enough of it at breakfast...lol.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Huh. There are restaurants I don't care for, and foods/ingredients that don't agree with me or make me feel extra bloated or whatever, but I can't think of a single restaurant where the food from there makes me feel sick when comparable foods from another restaurant wouldn't. That seems really odd to me.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Things that make me ill after I eat them: pancakes, Chipotle's food, Olive Garden's food, fried chicken wings with sauce (plain wings are fine?), buffets in general
    I don't have the greatest GI system, but those do it every time.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    panera. I'm actually ok with it, but hubs gets sick every time we eat at one.