Help! How do I start lifting?

Options
So I need to lose 80lbs and I do a lot of cardio but now I want to start lifting. I am incredibly weak! And I don't have access to a gym but i do have resistance bands and Dumbbells. Where do I begin? Any good apps or YouTube videos you recommend?

Replies

• Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    ariel1116 wrote: »
    So I need to lose 80lbs and I do a lot of cardio but now I want to start lifting. I am incredibly weak! And I don't have access to a gym but i do have resistance bands and Dumbbells. Where do I begin? Any good apps or YouTube videos you recommend?

You can find beginner workouts for ladies at HasFit or even YouTube.
    You could even just Google "Beginner Strength Training" and watch what comes up.
    Also, here on MFP there are groups you can join.
    WELCOME....and best of luck to you!
    <3
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Pick up heavy-ish things. Put them back down.
    lol j/k mostly.

I started with Stronglifts 5x5. You can do the exercises with dumbbells for now, but with any lifting program, you are going to want something more suitable. (A gym membership, or at-home barbell rack, perhaps?)
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    With your limited equipment and lack of gym, I'd probably start with a bodyweight program.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I like to start with Nautilus machines set to an easy weight. I gradually go up in weight after the first week. This gets me in shape without the pain and soreness. After you tone up a bit you can go to the free weights. At my age (54) I no longer want to bulk up, I do this to stay healthy and injury free. It is also how I prep my body for ski season too.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm on the app right now so I can't post a link to the thread, but check out the stickies at the top of this forum.

If you look at the "Fitness and Exercise Must Reads" thread, there is a link to "So you want to start lifting? Great!" Have a look there!
  • ariel1116
    ariel1116 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Return2Fit wrote: »
    ariel1116 wrote: »

You can find beginner workouts for ladies at HasFit or even YouTube.
    You could even just Google "Beginner Strength Training" and watch what comes up.
    Also, here on MFP there are groups you can join.
    WELCOME....and best of luck to you!
    <3

So far I really like hasfit. Thanks everyone
  • valerialeek
    valerialeek Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    YouTube is the answer. I love Jessica Smith TV ❤️ I do her superset video for 40min