8.5 months - 140+lbs gone

Options
99rmae697eva.jpeg

In October of last year, my friend visited me in Texas from Alaska. He is extremely into roller coasters so we drove to six flags. I had to take the walk of shame and not ride most of the rides. That's where the inkling of change began brewing.

In December, I went to a sleep clinic to get tested due to being tired all the time. I was prescribed a Cpap machine due to extreme sleep apnea. I decided, like many people do, to start eating right and working out starting the new year and if I no change happened, I would fill the prescription and get the machine.

I started the beginning of the year at 400lbs. I'm 6'4". I didn't know a thing about weight loss, but I did know that it all starts with diet. I'm hardly ever hungry through the day so I fasted 18-20 hours a day, only eating a filet of salmon and salad with guacamole or avocado as dressing. I don't recommend this now knowing what I know, and it only lasted a month. Although it never made me lethargic or sick, I think this was due to my being severely overweight.

I started working out, six days on, one day off. Split was upper body, HIIT cardio, lower body, rinse, repeat. I began feeling better. I kept this exercise split for six months. I always lifted heavy and never skipped anything.

The following month, I started researching and found I was eating keto. Ok, since I'm lifting heavy, too, let me see what's on Reddit. I found ketogains and began following their macro calculator for my diet. II still readjust every month with the calculator into MFP. Felt way better with more energy!

Soon the apnea stopped. Then I lost 50lbs. Then 75. Soon 100lbs!! It just kept shedding off! What started as a refusal to get a Cpap soon turned to an obsession. At around the six month mark, I decided to change my lifting routine to an 8 sets of 8 and concentrate on form. I still lift heavy, but try not to overload as much as I used to. Chest/shoulders/back for day 1, bi/tri/forearms for day 2, and legs/abs day 3. Then rest day. I'm currently on this split.

I feel way better. I see veins starting to show! I still IF but it's usually a 16:8ish (sometimes 20:4 if I get hit with overtime at work). Current weight is 256lbs. 250 was an unattainable goal that I set myself for long term and I am almost there! My current long term goal is to see my abs.

I started this journey wearing 56 waist jeans and 4-5XL tshirts. I'm now 36 waist and can fit into mediums and larges. I weigh less than I did starting middle school. It's pretty crazy.

I don't plan on stopping. I do get demotivated sometimes, but I never miss a day. On those days I figure, just go to the gym, and if all I do is read the newspaper at least I went. When I get there I say, well I'm here might as well slog through it. Those days are my highest achievements, both mentally and physically.

It's been a helluva ride, but there's no stopping me yet. I have plenty to do, goals to reach, and the rest of my life to live.

P.s. I've been going to six flags regularly all summer and I haven't taken the walk of shame at all.

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Great story Flakey, you look spectacular! And fun name.
  • mikebooker1
    mikebooker1 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Awesome man! I'm 6'5 and I can tell you it feels great. I started last year for the umpteenth time but this time around circumstances in my life were different. In 10 months I've lost almost 70lbs. My original goal was to get to 235 but I'm not sure I'll make it. Keep up the great work. Feel free to friend me too. I'm in TX as well.
  • mean_jeannie
    mean_jeannie Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    What a great and motivational story. Love your attitude.
  • thenananator
    thenananator Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Wow. Just wow! Congrats
  • AliciaID
    AliciaID Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! I don't want to get a Cpap machine either. I am changing my eating habits again for the billionth time, but I have to stick with it this time. My knees hurt and I am just dragging around. I have over 100 pounds to go, but reading stories like yours help to motivate me. Thank you!!!!
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Loved your story! Thanks for the inspiration :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    AliciaID wrote: »
    Congratulations!!! I don't want to get a Cpap machine either. I am changing my eating habits again for the billionth time, but I have to stick with it this time. My knees hurt and I am just dragging around. I have over 100 pounds to go, but reading stories like yours help to motivate me. Thank you!!!!

It's really wiser to get the machine, use it, proceed with your health improvement plan, then get retested to see if you can get off of it. Some apnea is genetic due to the structures of the throat. My cousin is like this. Regardless of the cause, stopping breathing while asleep is a life threatening condition and not to be taken lightly. The point is not just to restore restful sleep, the point is to prevent death. Please appreciate the seriousness of this condition and implement the treatment. Just sayin'.

OP, great job, keep it going!
  • FlakeyMusician
    FlakeyMusician Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    AliciaID wrote: »

It's really wiser to get the machine, use it, proceed with your health improvement plan, then get retested to see if you can get off of it. Some apnea is genetic due to the structures of the throat. My cousin is like this. Regardless of the cause, stopping breathing while asleep is a life threatening condition and not to be taken lightly. The point is not just to restore restful sleep, the point is to prevent death. Please appreciate the seriousness of this condition and implement the treatment. Just sayin'.

OP, great job, keep it going!

I agree with this now looking back 20/20, but in the beginning I was hard headed. Helped get me going though. Like I said, if it didn't get better I would've gotten the machine.

And thanks!
  • smkondy
    smkondy Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    That's an incredible story!! Bravo to you & your hard work!!
  • mtolose1
    mtolose1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!
    This was inspiring. I keep on wanting to go to six flags, but i will wait till next summer so i wont have to do that walk....did it at disneyland two years ago. And hated it!!! But something finally clicked this year...wish it would have clicked sooner. Good luck and keep going. I am in tejas also....lol.
  • GawbieAlan
    GawbieAlan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great story - really inspirational. Thanks for sharing it!
  • vs_shine
    vs_shine Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    That's Awesome!! great work!!
  • spolk47
    spolk47 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job sir!
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Well done!
  • lujako
    lujako Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    DUDE! Well done!
  • Johnny13131313
    Johnny13131313 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great job, just started myself at 370 looking to see 220 again
  • SnazzIT
    SnazzIT Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I do IF its awesome!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!