Could really use some help

Options
eciaram
eciaram Posts: 1 Member
I have very bad anxiety, and it is hard for me to get up the energy or motivation to want to exercise. I was wondering if anyone had any tips, and what I can do to get started on becoming healthier.

Replies

• SupersetBurnouts
    SupersetBurnouts Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It takes that initial push of self-motivation, to climb over the hump so to speak. Start light but do whatever it takes to begin a new day by completing an exercise with an obtainable goal...Mind over matter.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Get outside amongst nature and walk. It's a great form of exercise (exercise doesn't HAVE to be hardcore gym sessions and Zumba marathons - although these are great things to do also) and lifts the mood.

• dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    You could try keeping a little diary of all your successes on this journey even if very small (took stairs rather than lift, walk rather than drive to local shops - whatever is relevant to you). Along with recording what you've done note a mood score out of 10, (both before and after the exercise activity). When you start seeing evidence you've recorded yourself that exercise makes you feel better, it will become easier and easier to do the next workout!

If your anxiety is also linked to social situations/other people then check out youtube or apps such as sworkit for some home workouts you can do when you're ready. Shut the curtains, load up a workout and give it a go!
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    The solution is to address your anxiety where it is no longer a hindrance.
    This is our reality: nature doesn't care about why we don't exercise. Nature can only respond to what we do when it comes to our level of physical fitness.
    All of these tips folks have offered are sound, but again, cure the primary issue: anxiety.

Some go the traditional medical route with therapy and medication. Others seek out a more naturopathic solution.

19 Natural Remedies for Anxiety
    http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20669377,00.html

Let nothing stand between you and reaching potential, and the power to overcome this is within you. All you need to do is find a way to tap into that.
    <3
    Good Luck!
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    eciaram wrote: »
    I have very bad anxiety, and it is hard for me to get up the energy or motivation to want to exercise. I was wondering if anyone had any tips, and what I can do to get started on becoming healthier.

the more you exercise, the less you will have anxiety. yoga has saved my life. you cannot drag me away now. i am a daily yogi. stops the noise in my head and i feel great!
  • jennasbarton
    jennasbarton Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    eciaram wrote: »

the more you exercise, the less you will have anxiety. yoga has saved my life. you cannot drag me away now. i am a daily yogi. stops the noise in my head and i feel great!

^^^^^^ Yoga does wonders for my stress levels and you can do it at home from youtube or similar, try that.
  • Trendline15
    Trendline15 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Daily meditation. You could start out doing 5-10 minutes per day. And, work up to 20 or 30 minutes per day. I found that daily meditation made a profound difference in the way that I felt. It's important to do it every day, and get into a consistent practice.
  • Wizeman22
    Wizeman22 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Add me
  • almostanangel21
    almostanangel21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Use it. I have anxiety too (and depression), and whenever I start feeling that tightness at the back of my throat, I get moving if at all possible. If you can catch yourself before you're having an out-and-out panic attack, breaking a sweat will also break the anxiety. After all, that's what your body is trying to prompt you to do - fight or run away. If you've got depression too, make a deal with yourself that you'll at least try. E.G. When I'm feeling inexplicably drained, I'll tell myself that I just need to get on the elliptical for ten minutes of my normal hour, or do one eight minute round of a kettlebell routine. I almost always manage a lot more than that, because exercise really does make my brain stop messing with me.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    So just curious, not judging - how does your anxiety affect your desire to exercise? Do you manage to do other things in your life? Work? Go out with friends? General activities of daily living?

What is different with exercise as compared to these other things?
  • tolkienlady
    tolkienlady Posts: 23 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    "A body in motion tends to stay in motion. A body at rest tends to stay at rext." Thats physics 101.

There's nothing wrong with you. You're just a body at rest that needs to get moving. Ever tried to move a heavy stationary object? Much harder to start it moving than to keep it moving once it starts moving. You're going to have to force yourself to start moving, and that's going to be HARD. But you can do it. Hard is just a word. Humans are completely capable of doing hard things. Just start. Force yourself. Drag yourself kicking and screaming to the pool, the bike, the sidewalk, whatever. Start slow. Do 5 mins, or whatever your motivation can handle. Heck, 60 seconds is better than none. Changing motivation is to start slow. But DO IT! Even if "just do it" means you get on the bike, then get off, or get in the pool and get out.

I use to have that problem too. It took changing habits. I went to my exercise bike, just to get right back off, but I MADE MYSELF get on that bike. In about two weeks of getting on and off the bike I started peddling, 5 mins, then 10, then 15. Now it feels strange not to exercise.

Anxiety is proof your body wants to move. Exercise ALWAYS alleviates it. Panic is not the same thing. If you have panic attacks, that needs counseling, but anxiety is usually just too much adrenaline wanting an outlet. Give it an outlet. Start exercising.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    So just curious, not judging - how does your anxiety affect your desire to exercise? Do you manage to do other things in your life? Work? Go out with friends? General activities of daily living?

What is different with exercise as compared to these other things?

I think it's great you're asking. A lot of people who haven't experienced true anxiety think it's something someone can snap out of, or they think it's the same as being a little nervous or shy. I always appreciate when someone truly wants a better understanding.

For a lot of people with anxiety, especially social anxiety, things that might seem like easy, everyday things can be extremely difficult. Meeting new people, or even the possibility of meeting new people, can be terrifying- that affects all sorts of work and social situations. I've stayed in jobs I hate only because I'm comfortable with the people. Making friends is difficult because the anxiety makes me super-shy, and to others I sometimes come off as boring or stand-offish. Going to the store, I will sometimes drive further, and end up spending more money, because that particular day I feel like I can only handle self check-out. Ordering food or calling to make an appointment for something, I try to get my husband to do it. I've lived in my house for 6 years and don't know a single neighbor. I have to take Xanax just to go to the dentist or doctor office. If I can't find something in a store, I won't ask for help unless it's something I absolutely need and I've already walked up and down every aisle. Crowds terrify me unless I'm with my husband or a friend. Exercising at home is a great option, but anything else takes a "good day" mentally speaking. Also, anxiety often goes hand-in-hand with depression and when that's the case, you're also dealing with having zero energy or willingness to even try...everything feels pointless. Sometimes weeks will be okay and I'll mostly be fine...but other weeks the anxiety is all-consuming and I feel like I'm on the edge of a breakdown.
  • Wizeman22
    Wizeman22 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Add me
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Wizeman22 wrote: »
    Add me

*David Attenborough voice* And here we see the wild friend-collector in the flesh. Note how he prowls from thread to thread, sounding his mating call. He's intent on his prey, never distracted by superfluous things like actually reading the content of the thread or answering in a meaningful way...
  • Pow377
    Pow377 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I suffer from really bad Social Anxiety, so I found when I used to exercise in the gym I felt really uncomfortable. I've now got a treadmill at home and some dumbbells. Whilst it's not the full setup of a gym i feel alot more comfortable and am able to push myself.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Eat better. Eat enough good food and food you like.
  • coryrr1
    coryrr1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ultimately we all have anxiety over various things in our life.

1) First off, with all due respect don't let your weaknesses define who you are and what you're capable of.

2) Accomplishment = greater self esteem. Find things to do and kill it. With greater accomplishment you will see how much smaller your anxiety really is.

3) (As your gameplan for #2 above.)

> Create a goal. Start it, OWN it and finish it. Enjoying each step.

4) Find a way to help others while your accomplishing your own goals. This means less focus on yourself and
    helping others builds higher self-worth.

5) When the negative voices come along know they are not who you are, they are just a shell of your past. Be ready for them, ignore them and keep working towards your destination.

6) Impose your will on your true self every morning. Look in the mirror and affirm your greatness and what you WILL get done today in order to achieve your goal.

7) And my personal favorite....:)))

GET PISSED OFF about bowing to your anxiety.

(I remember when I couldn't do a single pull-up and 5 months later I'm doing 12-14 each set.
    Being pissed off at my situation is what fueled me. Let if fuel your goals and dreams and you
    won't need 'discipline' anymore.

- Cory R.......