Low carbs

Options
BenKyloRenSolo
BenKyloRenSolo Posts: 6 Member
edited August 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I was very successful when I did a low carb diet, I lost 40 pounds in 7 months or so with the addition of being active alot and working out.

Anywhere I looked when it came to low carb breakfast meals it involved eggs. I know breakfast is important but I would rather not get sick of having different types of egg meals again or skip breakfast overall. So my question is what else does everyone else do for breakfast that can be low carbs, any drinks or foods that you have for breakfast?

Replies

• DrenRigs
    DrenRigs Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I always eat no higher than 130 grams of carbohydrates on weekends I eat 200
  • BenKyloRenSolo
    edited August 2016
    Options
    When I started off I was doing 50 grams of carbs or less then eventually started doing just 100-150 grams a day. It's weird after getting theough the first several weeks just like with any diet, it got to the point where I had to eat extra just to get enough calories in a day. There are plenty of different diets that work out just this one has worked for me.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I don't really do "breakfast" "lunch" or "dinner foods. I just eat whatever I want at any time of day. For example, my breakfast this morning was mackerel with a bit of mayo, and sharp cheddar. Some mornings I'll do ground beef and kim chi. Others, eggs and sauerkraut.
  • Dayle1984
    Dayle1984 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I definitely eat eggs for breakfast almost every day... If I wanted to skip the eggs at some point I would probably add a protein shake and/or nuts/needs.
  • bankgirl0157
    bankgirl0157 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been low carbing since March 18th. I've lost 50 lbs (40) more to go. Second time around (I obviously did not learn the first time! LOL)! I am also not a huge egg eater so in the morning I will usually have a Dannon low carb yogurt and a handful of cashews or a Premier Protein drink. I agree that I don't stick with traditional breakfast foods, but prefer to eat whatever I feel like at that time.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Breakfast is ANY food you want to eat. There's no rule that breakfast has to be eggs etc. or cereal etc. Steak and asparagus? Breakfast! Last night's salmon? Breakfast!
  • msemotan
    msemotan Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    That is a hard one, eggs are a good "go to" for low carb breakfast. If I was not eating eggs, I usually did what other posters mentioned and had non traditional breakfast food. Maybe some deli meat and cheese roll ups with some chopped veggies. I agree that a shake can work, I have done coffee with ice, vanilla protein, and almond butter in a blender but this is not super satisfying to me for very long. Can you work in cottage cheese in your carb range? cottage cheese and veggies could be good.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I had a salad with turkey on it this morning (leftovers from a turkey leg I'd roasted previously). When I first started I was doing lots of breakfasts like this, or just dinner leftovers, since I go through phases where I get sick of eggs. My salad wasn't low carb (I'm not)--it was in fact high carb because of corn, tomatoes, onion, brussels, mostly--but obviously it's easy to do a lower carb salad.

I also really like smoked salmon at breakfast. That stir fried with some veg would be a low carb breakfast (I get it's not everyone's cuppa, though).
  • BenKyloRenSolo
    Options
    msemotan wrote: »
    That is a hard one, eggs are a good "go to" for low carb breakfast. If I was not eating eggs, I usually did what other posters mentioned and had non traditional breakfast food. Maybe some deli meat and cheese roll ups with some chopped veggies. I agree that a shake can work, I have done coffee with ice, vanilla protein, and almond butter in a blender but this is not super satisfying to me for very long. Can you work in cottage cheese in your carb range? cottage cheese and veggies could be good.

Yes I eat everything besides seafood, the cheese and veggies sounds good! You really do have to get creative when it comes to breakfast unless you eat anything during breakfast time like some people have said. I've just started downing a set amount of water and then just eating something small just to get something in me because I tend to be on the move quickly in the morning.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I just want to politely throw in the idea that a diet that doesn't consist of food you like, maybe doesn't "work for you".
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I just want to politely throw in the idea that a diet that doesn't consist of food you like, maybe doesn't "work for you".

I think he's referring to not wanting to eat eggs every single day, not that he doesn't like eggs at all... but just my take on it.

I also agree with eating a nontraditional breakfast if you want. There's no "breakfast police" that's going to come get you if you eat a hamburger for breakfast. :)
  • BigJes37
    BigJes37 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It really depends on overall goals. Alot of low carb diets people lose alot of weight but majority of that loss is muscle if not properly done. It comes down to overall numbers not necessarily what's foods. Hitting those goal numbers is what's going to matter. I wouldn't worry about specific foods unless your going for something more serious such as a competition or such. I'm talking more for general weight loss and maintaining it.
  • LEAS86
    LEAS86 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I got into the habit of eating eggs every breakfast and it does get pretty monotonous after a while.
    Occsaionally I'll eat left over dinners but some morning that's just a bit much. I find fish like mackrel or salmon is good, the flavour is strong enough that a poached egg to beef it up a bit doesn't feel quite so "eggy".
    Some greek yoghurt is pretty low carb - mine this morning was from Aldi (100g = 3.6g carbs) and I had it with some strawberries (40g = 5g carbs).
    Salami/cold meats are an easy one as well.
  • GodivaTrailrider
    GodivaTrailrider Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Breakfasts do seem the hard bit with low carb ..... saying that I usually have mushrooms, half a red pepper, spring onions, jalapenos, 3 rashers of English bacon and 3 eggs scrambled over it for breakfast / brunch and that sees me through to tea time :)
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Damn, I thought this said Low Crabs for a second. I was like, what's a low crab?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    BigJes37 wrote: »
    It really depends on overall goals. Alot of low carb diets people lose alot of weight but majority of that loss is muscle if not properly done. It comes down to overall numbers not necessarily what's foods. Hitting those goal numbers is what's going to matter. I wouldn't worry about specific foods unless your going for something more serious such as a competition or such. I'm talking more for general weight loss and maintaining it.

Citation for this please. The "majority" of the loss being muscle, I mean.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Damn, I thought this said Low Crabs for a second. I was like, what's a low crab?

heh. I always tell people I lost my weight on a low CRAP diet. :smile:
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    BigJes37 wrote: »

A low carb diet is actually pretty muscle sparing. The first day or two it isn't, but once the body starts to adjust, protein needs are actually a bit lower.