90 Day Diet

Options
Ok, I`ve done the 90 day diet once before and it had great results, but I do want to hear some opinions on the matter. Have any of you tried it before? What do you you think about it?

Replies

• msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    What is it?
  • plami92
    plami92 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    What is it?

It`s a 90 day regime, where everyday you eat a different food group. http://www.90daydiet.net/meal-plan/ look at the site for more info. I did this diet 8 years ago, and I lost 8kg and I didn`t gain them back till I started stuffing my face 3 years later. I was curious if someone else had done it.
  • plami92
    edited August 2016
    Options
    That sounds really stupid and goes against everything we think we know about good nutrition, ease of adherence and successful weightloss.[/quote
  • plami92
    Options
    A very elegant way of speaking your mind :D It still worked though, and I`m pretty sure I ate a lot more than 1500cal per day (MFP has set me up for 1200 for weight loss).
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    That sounds really stupid and goes against everything we think we know about good nutrition, ease of adherence and successful weightloss.

Why so harsh?
    It's probably a good start for people to get an all round nutrional intake. People that generally don't have a well balanced diet.

An introduction of sorts?

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    selina884 wrote: »
    That sounds really stupid and goes against everything we think we know about good nutrition, ease of adherence and successful weightloss.

Why so harsh?
    It's probably a good start for people to get an all round nutrional intake. People that generally don't have a well balanced diet.

How is having one food group a day a "round nutritional intake." A round nutritional intake would involve a variety. A single group a day is by definition, not a variety.
  • hjlourenshj
    hjlourenshj Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I guess people have succes with the diet because it tells them what to eat and so they not have to think for themself that much
  • plami92
    Options
    I guess people have succes with the diet because it tells them what to eat and so they not have to think for themself that much

Well, I do think every diet is like that. :D
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    selina884 wrote: »

Why so harsh?

How is having one food group a day a "round nutritional intake." A round nutritional intake would involve a variety. A single group a day is by definition, not a variety.

I think you misunderstood - I fully understand and agree with what you are saying but it's beside the point.
    Some people may completely avoid certain food groups (for example, I am not a fan of dairy) and this may be a good starter for them to progress onto including all food groups into their daily meals.

Don't see what the issue is here? Some people have to take smaller steps, a few trials and errors to move forward.

• whisker1984
    whisker1984 Posts: 26 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The issue is that fad diets like this contribute to the harmful, unscientific mentality that one must do something exceptional or extreme to lose weight.

While different strategies work for different people (I'm eating lower carb at the moment with great success, for example), the basic principle of CICO should be in the forefront of our minds. How many times have most of us started a crazy or overly-restrictive diet only to fail within a couple of days and tell ourselves weight loss is just too hard? What if we believed from the start that we only had to eat a little less every day to succeed and stopped looking for THE solution? I believe that many more people would be successful, and I find this forum an amazing source of encouragement in this regard!
  • AlabamaMama224
    AlabamaMama224 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It's going to take me more than 3 months to lose the weight. So my question is, what happens on day 91? It sounds ridiculously over complicated.
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Imho. diets are only successful because they all FAIL, so people wanting to lose weight just jump from one concept to another.

If any of the diets actually worked, (weight loss, and keeping the new weight) none of us would never me here.

Truth is, no diet is needed to lose weight and stay there.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

Define "success". Learn nothing, and go back to eating the way you were, regain all the weight, and then some?
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    This just sounds like a prescription for failure.
    Good luck to you anyway. I am on the "eat healthy for life" diet...lol
    :)
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm so tired of people saying these weird diets work...you may have lost weight but if it worked you wouldn't have to do it again. Period. If it WORKS, you never have to diet again because you learn what you CAN eat without gaining it all back. So, it didn't work. How about you learn how to eat/move then these "diets" aren't even something you think about?

And MFP only sets you up for 1200 calories because you probably have your rate of loss too high. I'm 5'11 and 160 and I lose .5lbs at 1630/day. Yes, slow, but it works. I've never, ever even tried to lose at a higher rate than 1lb a week and I had 50lbs to lose at one time...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Of course it works if it helps reduce calories. That's not the issue with these diets. Eating nothing but "baby food" works too, so does the cabbage soup diet. When you choose a diet the last question you should be asking is "does it work" because most diets do work (due to reduced calories of course). What you should be asking is: "what does it teach me about nutrition and what strategies for long term maintenance does it provide?"

What do any of these statements tell you about nutrition and how do they help you with weight loss or maintenance?
    1. Don't mix fruits and vegetables or fruit groups
    2. Eat the same foods for dinner as lunch
    3. You have to eat cake for dinner
    4. Pay attention to fruit sugar in dried fruits
    5. Have a full day of fruits but eat different fruit groups for different meals

Statements like the above give arbitrary rules and explain nothing useful. You can't use that information and tweak it to your day to day changes. Here are some things that might have slightly improved the diet based on the above statements

1. Nonsense.
    2. Some people find that eating the same few foods every day provide better calorie control due to the relative stability of the calorie count.
    3. Eating the high calorie things you love in appropriate portions to your calorie budget can help with adherence. It can be done on a specific day or in smaller amounts any day. (what if you don't want cake and want fried chicken instead? How does eating cake for dinner once every 4 days help you moderate fried chicken?)
    4. Dried fruits have higher calories, so keep that in mind.
    5. Eating a wider variety of fruits and vegetables gives you a better vitamin profile.

See how for the first example (your choice of diet) it's just a bunch of arbitrary rules that adds nothing to your experience. The same diet modified to be more informative is still a huge load of "not necessary", unnatural and highly unbalanced but it gives you some tools to use like having a go-to list of meals for when you can't count calories, teaches you how to moderate your higher calorie foods in appropriate portions within calories and helps you be more mindful of higher calorie choices.

An easier and a much more helpful way of controlling your weight would be to eat normally within a calorie budget without arbitrary rules and learn what portions, foods, strategies...etc work for you from experience. This would help you take that knowledge and apply it to avoid regaining the lost weight which usually happens on rigid diets.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    plami92 wrote: »
    Ok, I`ve done the 90 day diet once before and it had great results, but I do want to hear some opinions on the matter. Have any of you tried it before? What do you you think about it?

If it has the word "diet" in it... it's BS.

There are only two things needed to maintain a healthy body weight.

1. get to & maintain a good fitness level
    2. eat a healthy well balanced diet
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    plami92 wrote: »

Well, I do think every diet is like that. :D

That is why it's best to lose weight without going on a "diet".

What happens on day 91?
  • plami92
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Thanks a lot to everyone. Since I have been on MFP, I do struggle alot with what you call a good fitness level and well balanced diet, since even if I eat a bit more than what MFP has given me I don`t really lose weight. I dont know why that is and it`s been very demotivating. That`s why I wanted opinions on this diet (which btw allows me a higher calorie intake than MFP). Again thanks all. :*