Slowing down weight gain when pregnant

Options
How can I slow down weight loss in pregnancy. I'm just over 20 weeks pregnant and I eat so much junk food, I've already gained a stone. I do half a hour of the exercise bike a day and was thinking of eating about 1000 calories twice a week. What do you think?

Replies

• AlabamaMama224
    AlabamaMama224 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Yes, talk to your Dr. He/ she can probably set you up an appointment with a registered dietitian so you can plan a healthy diet for you and baby.
    Good luck!
  • stephaniej2888
    stephaniej2888 Posts: 93 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    First of all, talk to your OB.

Second of all, don't go on any kind of "diet" when your pregnant...period. you are growing a baby in there and that baby needs you to eat enough of the right food to make it grow healthy.

Third, eat healthy and eat when your hungry. Don't not eat because your afraid to gain weight, that's not good for your baby or you. Eat healthy (splurging every now and then is fine) and workout while your pregnant (unless your OB says otherwise).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Another vote for asking your OB for a referral to a registered dietitian.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    In the second trimester you should be eating 250 calories above maintenance. But you need to be eating healthier food that is your problem over loading on junk food. You shouldnt at any point be on a deficit. You need to just keep active and eat healthy. My friend gained really fast then she took control of her diet. She started walking 30 minutes to an hour a day and cut out junk food she maintained for the rest of her pregnancy. And only gained about 22 lbs during her pregnancy but those first 20 she gained by the end of her second trimester. You should talk tto your doctor about seeing a dietician.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    How about cut back on junk food?

And discuss this with your OB and/or a dietician with pregnancy expertise. Eating 1000 cals/day sounds like a good way to harm your baby.
    How can I slow down weight loss in pregnancy. I'm just over 20 weeks pregnant and I eat so much junk food, I've already gained a stone. I do half a hour of the exercise bike a day and was thinking of eating about 1000 calories twice a week. What do you think?

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Don't do that. Ask your OB.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    What were your stats pre-pregnancy? That makes a difference. Underweight? Keep eating! Overweight, maybe get a dietitian referral and slow down. Now is NOT the time to be dieting. However, be mindful of your intake and move, and you should be able to correct the course. I would definitely say that anyone who tells you to eat less than your maintenance calories in pregnancy is not someone you should be listening to. You have 20 more weeks to give this baby the best chance possible at having a healthy start. Slow the junk down, add some good for you stuff, and you'll be fine.

I'm 31 weeks. I started overweight (194, 5'4") and with the approval and guidance of my doc, I have limited gain. I have eaten at maintenance pretty much the whole time, and never really increased my intake. I try to move for at least 30 minutes at least 3 times a week. Some weeks I hit all 7 days. Some weeks I hit one or two. I still have managed to gain 10lbs so far, but we're both happy with this number. Baby is growing like a weed, each of the ultrasounds I have had done have measured her within 2 days of her due date, and everything looks on point.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Even if you talk to a dietician, make sure what they're saying makes sense. I was absolutely furious with the one I was set up with when I realized she'd inadvertently put me on a weight loss plan at 8 months pregnant because she put everyone on the same diet regardless of height, weight or degree of pregnancy. Fortunately, I figured it out quickly and went off her ridiculous plan.
  • Hannahjane123456
    Hannahjane123456 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    What were your stats pre-pregnancy? That makes a difference. Underweight? Keep eating! Overweight, maybe get a dietitian referral and slow down. Now is NOT the time to be dieting. However, be mindful of your intake and move, and you should be able to correct the course. I would definitely say that anyone who tells you to eat less than your maintenance calories in pregnancy is not someone you should be listening to. You have 20 more weeks to give this baby the best chance possible at having a healthy start. Slow the junk down, add some good for you stuff, and you'll be fine.

I'm 31 weeks. I started overweight (194, 5'4") and with the approval and guidance of my doc, I have limited gain. I have eaten at maintenance pretty much the whole time, and never really increased my intake. I try to move for at least 30 minutes at least 3 times a week. Some weeks I hit all 7 days. Some weeks I hit one or two. I still have managed to gain 10lbs so far, but we're both happy with this number. Baby is growing like a weed, each of the ultrasounds I have had done have measured her within 2 days of her due date, and everything looks on point.

I was 8 and a half stone and 4 foot 11 and now a stone heavier
  • Hannahjane123456
    Hannahjane123456 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I tried it and made it till now and I've got headache and feel sick, so maybe it is not so good.

I just want to feel more in control of my eating and not eat lots of food.

If I eat around 1700 calories a day and do a hour of exercise bike a day. Will this help me with slowing down weight gain?

Thanks

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You have a growing baby inside you, now's not the time for restricting intake. Don't be foolish.
  • babypunkprincess
    babypunkprincess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    In my second and third trimester I ate to maintain. I gained a lot of weight in my first cuz I ate a lot of junk. So I ate 2000-2200 a day with 30 mins of light cardio a day. I gained 40 pounds (last 10 was just from water in my last week) and was left with 6 pounds to lose 2 weeks after birth. I have since lost that and an additional 4. I'm down 10 all together. Baby is 8 weeks and I started watching my calories at 2 weeks. I formula feed.

It sucks to gain weight but my baby is healthy and he watches me work out and sees his daddy and me eat healthy and have portion control so while I lose weight and get healthy he's growing up around that.
  • driving_miss_crazy
    driving_miss_crazy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind also that some people gain more in the beginning of the pregnancy and then slow down naturally, others gain the whole time while others only gain at the end. Eat when hungry and try to eat healthy foods most of the time.

I stress ate my first pregnancy and was miserable because of all the gain and swelling, but I was able to have a much easier second pregnancy because I listened to my body and only ate when hungry.

Congrats on the pregnancy!
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    You seriously need to talk to your doctor about this. Pregnancy is not the time for you to be restricting food or ramping up exercise simply out of concern for your weight UNLESS approved by your doctor.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    You should definitely NOT eat 1000 calories a day.
    That growing baby needs specific nutrients EVERY DAY. Including fat, cholesterol, and protein. Fat for brains, cholesterol for cell walls. That baby is making ridiculous numbers of brain cells and cell walls. Vitamins, calcium, iron.... some of it the baby can get by stripping it out of your bones, teeth, and muscles -- but other things need to come from what you are eating on a daily basis. DON"T CRASH DIET WHILE PREGNANT.

You identified what you need to do in your second sentence. Stop eating junk food. Eat a balanced diet of nutritious whole foods and don't try to cut calories below your own maintenance level.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    NO No No. Here's what to do instead. Switch the junk food for nutritous food. Talk with your doctor about appropriate weight gain. Diet after the baby is born-that's only 20 more weeks.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    So I went and did the conversions, and if you were sedentary, and trying to maintain your weight, you should eat around 1500 calories a day. So you could add 250 to that for your baby, and NOT bike like a mad woman every day. With your hour of biking, you're looking at more like 2000-2200.

So, while you wait for your next doctors appointment, where you're totally going to talk to them because they are professionals and not strangers on the internet, this is what you should do. STOP with the steady stream of junk. Eat when you are hungry until you are no longer hungry - not stuffed. Comfortable. Include a variety of fruits, vegetables, and proteins. And take a walk after dinner. Drink water - at least half your weight in ounces every day. Then when you see your doc next, talk about what is a healthy gain for you, let them know you're concerned and see what they say. At 8.5 stone, you were a healthy weight. I'm not sure what the recommendation is where you live, but in the US, 25-30 and even 35 lbs, doctors would not bat an eyelash at. At this point, you can easily correct your rate of gain by eating mindfully. Its okay to treat yo' self every now and again. Just not every meal.