How close to your calorie allowance do you get

Options
As title really... How close to your daily calorie allowance do you get? Would you rather go slightly over rather than slightly under?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    When I was trying to lose weight, I came in within about 50 cal of my calorie goal ... under. Always under. Every single day without fail ... under.

Now I'm within about 50 cal under most of the time, but some days I go over.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I try to be a little under. Sometimes I am over, but I just make up for it the next day, or the next couple of days. Sometimes I don't even care, I just keep doing well and accept that things happen and you can't always be perfect.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Some days I'm 50-20 under, sometimes I'm the same amount over. I just try to hit my macros.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    When I was losing I tried to stay under my allowance 90% of the time. I still try to stay close but would rather go over than under now because with the amount I work out, a couple of under days and i'll notice a drop in performance along with a quick drop in pounds. If i'm actually hungry now I eat regardless of what my allowance is, when I was losing I ignored hunger cues more frequently.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Also about 50 calories difference either under or over.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day. No exercise, on the nose. Steady state cardio calories all get eaten. Both of those over/under 50 like with everyone else. On days I double, so Fitness Blender and some steady state, I try to leave a bigger margin, maybe 100 calories under but if I have a splurge that's what they are there for!
  • tamatisk
    tamatisk Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Usually 100-200 calories below but it acts as a buffer in case my measurements are wrong. Occasionally over if I've had to eat out.
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Each day is different as some days I'm more hungry than usual. I usually fall within my allowance but there are days that I'm over.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty close. According to my Fitbit, I'm all around the place, going under, over, or staying within a sweet spot of 50 calories:
    tyuzbnaa5zo5.jpg
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    A little over some days, a little under on others.
  • Spitspot81
    Spitspot81 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    This is interesting, most of you try to stick pretty close to target.

I think I am too strict and normally stay about 250 under. I think maybe I should allow myself a few little extras to get closer to my allowance
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I'm over more than I'm under usually by 100-200 calories. If I know why then I don't beat myself up. For example yesterday I had 2 drinks. When I otherwise thought I was being good & go over I get frustrated. I've lost 8 pounds so far so even with being over I'm in deficit more than not so I'm OK with my progress
  • abungay
    abungay Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I like to me under, mfp says I should eat 1200 a day and I try for about 1000, in case I do need a snack in the night I have room for it. But more times than not I actually go over, but I try really hard not to eat my exercise calories.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I just try to hit my weekly net calorie goal. I try to stay pretty close but some times on weekends I have night out with more food and drinks than normal so I have to go under for a couple days afterwards to make up the difference.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I try to be within 30 calories in either direction.
  • vesh17
    vesh17 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I stay within 50/100, and then when I get back to my ideal weight I just eat whatever again lol
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    + 200
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    In the beginning I would often be at my goal or about 100 calories over my goal and then add exercise. I did okay.
    Now I'm closer to a healthy weight and my calorie goal is 1200. I don't really want to eat below 1200. I can't exercise as much right now so I stick closer to that... so I try to get 1200 or just 50 over or under.
  • vesh17
    vesh17 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    In the beginning I would often be at my goal or about 100 calories over my goal and then add exercise. I did okay.
    Now I'm closer to a healthy weight and my calorie goal is 1200. I don't really want to eat below 1200. I can't exercise as much right now so I stick closer to that... so I try to get 1200 or just 50 over or under.

I can't imagine eating 1200 calories per day...I'd be dying lol. You must be small.

I know its size, sex, etc specific, but when I hear 1200 I'm just shocked. I eat 2200 and I feel ok, but below 2000 I'd be a mess.ha
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I aim to be within 50 calories either way. But I mostly aim for a weekly deficit (which is smaller that what my goal actually is), so I'm often over anyway.