Aria Fitbit Scale not so accurate!

Options
Damico1971
Damico1971 Posts: 14 Member
edited August 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
So I have the Fitbit blaze and I love it. I also have a Aria Fitbit scale that I recently found out isn't as accurate as I thought. I was assessed at L.A Fitness by a coach and my fat was 32 not 43 as the scale reads. Also when I eat clean & workout the fat number goes up on the scale. Btw, add me carmelad84

Replies

• kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Any sort of scale or handheld device is inaccurate for measuring/estimating body fat. How hydrated you are can affect the reading, so that could be why the scale reads higher when you're eating "better".
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I never ever pay attention to the body composition readings on my home scale. These scales are completely false and really ridiculously out of realm of reality. LOL

Daily fluctions for me can be hormones, hydration or lack there of, sodium, exercise/muscle recovery, carb intake, etc. The scale has no clue! :)
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I prefer Hydrostatic Weighing but skin calipers are a bit cheaper
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I have it, and only pay attention to the fat percentage to see if the trend is going down. I don't look at it as being super accurate, but it's nice to see the trend.
  • Damico1971
    Damico1971 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Same
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    TBH, the Aria scale is pretty bad. It can be +/- 3.3 lbs per spec (i find mine worse than that) In fact, if you weigh yourself 10 times in a row, expect 10 different readings all over the place.

Also it's extremely temperamental. A grain of sand under one foot can throw it off. Serious.

As far as bodyfat? as good as any that uses that method.
  • akboy58
    akboy58 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    I have it, and only pay attention to the fat percentage to see if the trend is going down. I don't look at it as being super accurate, but it's nice to see the trend.

When I first got my Aria I was bummed to see that it gave my body fat as 22%. I felt better once my nutritionist gave me a proper body fat calculation with calipers: 14%. As I continue to recomp, I find that the Aria body fat reading does trend downward roughly in line with what my nutritionist is telling me -- just at a ridiculously inflated level.