Warning about over the counter "diet" stuff

This is my personal experience only, and I wanted to share in case anyone is thinking of trying these. Everyone is different, but here was my experience. A couple years ago I tried Alli. Basically it flushes the fats you eat out instead of absorbing them. I did not have cramps, but I did find my stools much "softer". Everything was fine until a few days into it I left a "dampness" on my backside. Went to the restroom and discovered I had a leak...very gross and thank goodness I was at home! Last year I tried SlimQuick which is a powder you mix with water. Almost immediately I had blood in my stool. I thought maybe a coincidence, so I stayed on the Slimquick and the blood got worse. As soon as I got off it everything went back to normal. So...for me, it's calorie restriction and exercise. There are always possible negative side effects with "diet drugs".

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Yeah, even the FDA-approved stuff is bad news. Any otc weight loss "products" that aren't actual food are best avoided.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    If it isn't a calorie deficit, it's safe to assume it doesn't work.
  • ValorVixenCB
    ValorVixenCB Posts: 3 Member
    The saddest part is that the bar is so low for FDA approval because it's so difficult to make a 'safe' weight loss drug. Even Alli (Orlistat) only had about a 4-5% weight-loss effect in the clinical trials. I tried Alli a few years ago and was scared of all the 'leakage' stories, so it ended up being really ineffective for me. I would take my pill with the healthy meals I was eating and then skipping it when I happened to eat something unhealthy (like pizza) that was over the recommended fat-intake limit. Really non-sensical, I know.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited August 2016
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10290083/alli-xenical-does-it-work-please-only-answer-if-you-have-actually-taken-it

And

Alli "Side Effects" in Layman's Terms

"Blowing liquid feces down a row of bridesmaids, for instance, could be viewed negatively in certain circles." :s:D

Not trying to make fun of you. OP. It's just nuts what's considered acceptable by the medical establishment. I'd like to see doctors try Alli before recommending or prescribing it. I wonder how many GSK execs actually tried it.
  • AriesGal329
    AriesGal329 Posts: 236 Member
    These companies prey on those of us (a LOT of us) who want or need to lose weight and looking for an easier way. You know what they say....if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    There are always possible negative side effects with any kind of drug, OTC or not, so it's important to read labels. I do hope you saw a doctor about blood in stool though. I didn't see anything in the ingredient list for that product that jumped out at me as a possible cause for that (most reported side effects were discomfort, heartburn, diarrhea), and that can be an indicator of a serious issue. It is possible that something in that product exacerbated an existing issue, so please take care of yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • AriesGal329
    AriesGal329 Posts: 236 Member
    kgeyser wrote: »
    There are always possible negative side effects with any kind of drug, OTC or not, so it's important to read labels. I do hope you saw a doctor about blood in stool though. I didn't see anything in the ingredient list for that product that jumped out at me as a possible cause for that (most reported side effects were discomfort, heartburn, diarrhea), and that can be an indicator of a serious issue. It is possible that something in that product exacerbated an existing issue, so please take care of yourself. :flowerforyou:

Thanks....It was over a year ago and as soon as I stopped using it, the blood stopped. I did call a friend who is a doctor and got his advice as well. :-)
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Treece68 wrote: »
    I'm trying this new pill from Adipose Industries and it working so well. Only one day and "The Fat Just Walks Away"

Love it!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Yeah, even the FDA-approved stuff is bad news. Any otc weight loss "products" that aren't actual food are best avoided.

From what I've seen the FDA are a bit loosey goosey with approving stuff. Many FDA approved substances are completely banned in other countries.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited August 2016
    Alli basically works by punishing you severely unless you restrict fat to a minimum. By restricting fat, you restrict calories and lose weight.

It's the pill version of having someone follow you around and smack you upside the head every time you eat something with fat in it. Except instead of a head smack, you get to ooze oil from your butt uncontrollably.

Depends on the person. I've used Alli and I've eaten more fat than I should in a meal. I mean, a lot more fat. And nothing happened except some extra orange in the toilet. Never had leaking or anything, I just stopped it because I knew it wouldn't be sustainable long term to take every day.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    A crucial part of weight loss that people don't think about is establishing the habits that will allow you to maintain your weight after you lose. Therefore the best weight loss methods are those that help you to build those good habits.

If you instead rely on something like a drug which you aren't going to be able to take for the rest of your life then as soon as you reach your goal (if you ever do) and then go off the drug you haven't established the habits necessary to actually keep the weight off so you will just put it back on.

Its pointless. The way to weight loss is to establish healthier eating habits and activity levels...period. All these gastric bypasses and weight loss drugs might be needed in the case of someone extremely obese who is about to die otherwise but other than that they serve no purpose.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Alli basically works by punishing you severely unless you restrict fat to a minimum. By restricting fat, you restrict calories and lose weight.

It's the pill version of having someone follow you around and smack you upside the head every time you eat something with fat in it. Except instead of a head smack, you get to ooze oil from your butt uncontrollably.

Depends on the person. I've used Alli and I've eaten more fat than I should in a meal. I mean, a lot more fat. And nothing happened except some extra orange in the toilet. Never had leaking or anything, I just stopped it because I knew it wouldn't be sustainable long term to take every day.

You're very fortunate. Knowing my luck i would get the full gamut of side effects!
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Treece68 wrote: »
    I'm trying this new pill from Adipose Industries and it working so well. Only one day and "The Fat Just Walks Away"

At least it's cute when it leaves.

Unlike the orange Alli oil stains.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Bah. The only over-the-counter things I take are Ibuprofen and Epsom salts (for my bath water). The other medication I take is prescription asthma medicine.

I'm lucky I suppose that I have never in my life been interested in weight loss drugs or supplements. I did 3 diets and found them boring and quit. Then I discovered MFP. This was 4 years ago. It's the only thing that's worked for me so far.