Stronglifts 5x5, NROWL, Strong Curves or Thinner, Leaner, Stronger???

It's great that there are so many options now, but there are SO many options now! lol. I've been on Stronglifts 5x for about a month, but I'm not sure it's for me. The weight increases are really fast, so I've had to cut back, and I add on 5 accessory lifts because I feel like I'm not targeting everything I want to.

In seeing some reviews, Strong Curves seems to be popular for those who may have back issues/had problems firing glutes properly (this is me), but lacks arm/ab work too. I haven't been able to view the workouts yet for the other two main programs.

For those that are or have followed one of these programs, what are the pros/cons? I will say one thing I like about SL 5x5 is the app - wish they all had an app to track your workouts so easily!

Lifting 3 days per week is preferred, as I do HIIT the other days.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    edited August 2016
    Why do you think you need to target arms more? the compound lifts (push moves work triceps) and pull moves work biceps, and any time you use your grip you work your forearms. The core should also be engaged for the compound lifts, meaning little to no direct ab work should be required, or could be added to your HIIT days.

As for progression, you may want to invest in smaller magnetic plates so you can add less weight per workout.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Adding a bunch of stuff to a linear progression program is going to reduce the effectiveness of the program unless you're an advanced lifter. Best to follow the protocol of the program.

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    5 accessories? at most you'd need like curls and dips, chinups... Do you know what the compounds target?
  • LazSommer
    Also, stick with 5x5. You shouldn't be program shopping 1 month into a beginner program (or adding anything, really). Stick with it to see progress.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited August 2016
    Stronglifts was good for me when I started because I hadn't ever really lifted before. It's a good beginner program, I got what I could out of it for about 6 months and moved on.

I did variations of 5/3/1 for 2+ years. I'm at the point now where I need to work on fine tuning things, like glute activation to stay out of pain, so I'm currently reading Strong Curves and will do that program starting next week. It's all about what your personal goals are. I'm no longer concerned with ego lifting. I want to be out of pain.

ETA: apps. There is no, one perfect app to rule them all. I've found that the best "app" is a notebook and pen.
  • sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Stronglifts was good for me when I started because I hadn't ever really lifted before. It's a good beginner program, I got what I could out of it for about 6 months and moved on.

I did variations of 5/3/1 for 2+ years. I'm at the point now where I need to work on fine tuning things, like glute activation to stay out of pain, so I'm currently reading Strong Curves and will do that program starting next week. It's all about what your personal goals are. I'm no longer concerned with ego lifting. I want to be out of pain.

Thank you @dracarys for actually responding to my question ;) I want a program that I enjoy doing, but also in line with my personal goals.
  • sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    This post was really just about what programs women like and the pros/cons. Not about flagging what I'm doing wrong... While I appreciate that you have input, please refrain from negative feedback. Thanks.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    sbl1881 wrote: »
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

Thank you @dracarys for actually responding to my question ;) I want a program that I enjoy doing, but also in line with my personal goals.

No prob. I would stick with SL if I were you. You don't need to advance weight every session (regardless of what the app or website says). After only 1 month you still have a lot to learn.
  • LazSommer
    This post was really just about what programs women like and the pros/cons. Not about flagging what I'm doing wrong... While I appreciate that you have input, please refrain from negative feedback. Thanks.

There's no negative feedback. You asked for information and were given it with well meaning intentions. You never stated your goals, so it was assumed that you're looking to increase strength and work arms/abs, all of which your current routine does. Back and glute issues will follow regardless of programs since they are related to form.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    You didn't mention All Pro.
    This is the one I do as it is a rep progression before a weight progression.
    No need for auxiliary moves.
    I think there is a spreadsheet available; I just use a notebook.

I just mention it because you sounded a little frustrated not progressing on weight as fast as you thought you would on 5x5.

Cheers, h.

All Pro is listed here-
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Also, you don't HAVE to go up 5lbs every time on Stronglifts. Especially if you aren't making all the reps/sets, or struggling with form.

I would rather work on my form and work with a lighter weight than push myself and get injured doing a heavier squat with bad form.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited August 2016
    I started with Strong Curves. It was an easy transition from my circuit training. I liked the variation.

Then I did SL5x5. I liked that the app set the weights and I had to make it happen. I saw the most strength gains from SL. And I better understood the reasoning for resistance and progression.

I believe form follows function. And SL gives you the foundation for the next program. I think I could run Stong Curves better after SL.

NROL4W has good info. I never ran the program. I just read the book.

I recently downloaded the app "Rep Count". It may be a good app to track training.
  • FlyingA
    FlyingA Posts: 7 Member
    I did SL for a couple months and got bored. I need more variety, I guess. I'm on week 3 of Strong Curves now and I really like it so far, even though it's early. I'm doing SC because my running has been plagued by dead butt/piriformis/high it band issues.
  • KellieDavisFit
    KellieDavisFit Posts: 3 Member
    Hey there! I am the co-author of Strong Curves and am happy to answer any questions you have regarding the program. Feel free to reach out to me if you need anything.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member

The methods of gaining strength for women aren't a lot different from men; women tend to do better at higher intensity than men, so once you're out of beginner status of whatever linear progression program you're on you may need to move to 5x3 rather than 3x5 sets.

Otherwise, pick a linear progression program, lift with good form, and get stronger.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    One thing is for certain, if you aren't going to follow Stronglifts, you should get on a plan you like and will follow.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Also, you don't HAVE to go up 5lbs every time on Stronglifts. Especially if you aren't making all the reps/sets, or struggling with form.

I would rather work on my form and work with a lighter weight than push myself and get injured doing a heavier squat with bad form.

Form always wins, but barring missing reps and/or bad form there's no reason not to go up every session until you can no longer recovery adequately from one session to the next.