Intermittent fasting - 30 pounds lost

Options

Replies

• CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Quick question about when to workout during IF. I read that your first meal should be after your workout which really does not work for me. I already wake up at 5:15am to get ready for work so getting up even earlier to workout isn't going to happen. I usually go to the gym after work around 5:30pm but can't start my eating window after that because I'll be going to bed by 10pm usually. So, my question is - when do you all workout? If I only eat one meal or have a protein shake after my workout and then start the fasting period will that work too?

Oh I also read that cardio is probably not the best exercise while doing IF but rather focus on strength or resistance training. Do you all find that to be true?

Thanks!

Lots of arguments on these boards about whether or not to exercise while fasted. It's splitting hairs. You should do what works for you. Fasting is highly flexible and customizable. Fast when it is convenient for you and exercise when it is convenient for you. The possible yet probably small benefits of exercising while fasted (vs. exercising fed) may not outweigh the hoops you need to jump through to get there. Just exercise.

Both cardio and strength/resistance training are great, it just depends on your goals. I do a bit of both and I love the way I feel exercising while fasted. Never better. Your results may vary.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    acmorris77 wrote: »
    @rosemy10 I am 38, 6' 2" and was 228

But you're only eating 1200-1350 calories a day? Since your photo has two people in it I might have made a wrong assumption... are you male? Shouldn't 1500 be your bare minimum of calories a day to provide minimum nutrition?
  • slimcharm20
    slimcharm20 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I want to give try this. I think a 11-7 window will work out great for me. I beleive my biggest hurdle will be my morning coffee with milk and sugar.

Any thoughts on unsweetened coconut milk in my morning coffee?

50 calories or so in the morning is negligible when it comes to fasting for weight loss. If you also want the benefits associated with keeping insulin low for as long as possible, try moving towards black coffee.

Thank you for your response! I am going to go with baby steps, towards that black coffee , maybe even eliminating it all together?!? This topic thread has put a new light on things . :)

• acmorris77
    acmorris77 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    @VeryKatie I am female and started out with about 1200-1350 a day but focus on the weekly calorie goal of around 9800 now. With IF, a lot of days It's hard to reach 1200 because I'm not hungry. But, I reach it so I can still fuel my body. The extra calories I use to play around with on the weekends and find I'm eating about 1600 Friday through Sunday. I'm not as strict on my calories now because I'm really not that hungry on IF. So, I rarely feel deprived.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    acmorris77 wrote: »
    @VeryKatie I am female and started out with about 1200-1350 a day but focus on the weekly calorie goal of around 9800 now. With IF, a lot of days It's hard to reach 1200 because I'm not hungry. But, I reach it so I can still fuel my body. The extra calories I use to play around with on the weekends and find I'm eating about 1600 Friday through Sunday. I'm not as strict on my calories now because I'm really not that hungry on IF. So, I rarely feel deprived.

Ok. Just make sure you know the difference between feeling deprived and actual nutrient deprivation (which may take a long time to feel), which you may be risking. Get your blood and other physical health checked by your doctor frequently if you wish to continue eating this way. Let them know you're doing a low (for you) calorie diet. Also watch out for losing muscle if you're not weight lifting. At your height, that is still a low calorie goal. Your BMR is around 1800 a day, so you should probably consider eating an average of at least that. Sorry for the unsolicited advice. I hope you consider it though.
  • acmorris77
    Options
    @Verykatie Thanks for the advice. I understand where you're coming from. My doctor is happy with my progress and thinks averaging 1400 per day is sufficient for now. I am sedentary and will increase my calories when I start exercising and moving to maintenance.
  • The_Original_Beauty
    The_Original_Beauty Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I think I always go back to 16:8 because I'm a lot less stressed about calories in the day? I'm a lot more relaxed, a lot happier and it works. I'm on 1600/1800 calories a day and I prefer eating later in the day. I've been doing 16:8 on and off this year.
  • skinnymom258
    skinnymom258 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My bmr is around 1800 so how many calories can I have daily to lose about 2 pounds a week
  • Abbysmum2010
    Abbysmum2010 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am not at all sure that I can drink my tea without a little milk (usually skim) and some Splenda. I have tried and tried to get consistent info on whether Splenda will cause a problem but I get different info from different sources. What say you all?
  • acmorris77
    Options
    I use Splenda and a splash of milk won't kill you!
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    IF has worked for me too. Unfortunately, I went back to my old ways after reaching my goal and gained most of it back. I'm back on IF and have lost 2 of the 8 pounds I need to lose. It's the easiest way for me to stay within calorie goals every day and still feel satisfied with what I've eaten for the day.
  • austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Bump :) For interest
  • ProvenceBelle
    ProvenceBelle Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have another 70+ pounds to lose and I had been struggling to lose what weight I did lose. I know it doesn't come off overnight - I know I didn't put it on overnight...but IF has really seemed to change things for me. I started doing 18:6 on 8/6/16. On 8/13/16, I weighed and had lost 6 pounds! I started doing 18:6 because I thought that was what you were supposed to do. It's still in trial stages but I can definitely tell you that if you have been struggling to lose the weight, especially if you have had a full hysterectomy and have those battles to contend with as well - IF just may be the ticket. I'll keep you posted!

• ProvenceBelle
    ProvenceBelle Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Can someone please explain 18:6? Or how to find out? I have never heard of IF until this post. Thanks!
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    IF is intermittent fasting... 18:6 = you fast 18 hours and eat during a 6 hour window.
  • healthhappinessfit
    healthhappinessfit Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    @annaskiski Thank you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!