Confused about how many calories

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    billglitch wrote: »
    if you are always hungry try LCHF

Per her FitBit, she is burning 2800 cals/day (maybe overstated, but likely in the ballpark).
    Per her OP, she was eating 1200 cals/day (maybe underestimated, but likely in the ballpark).
    That's a deficit of 1600 cals/day.
    Even accounting for overestimating CO and underestimating CI - it is likely that she is just not eating enough calories, period, for her level of activity and her total energy needs.

Eating more calories in general is what she needs to do - not necessarily trying LCHF.
  • KristyAMartinez
    KristyAMartinez Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    omg it is so hard to eat at least 1200 to 1500 calories a day, after doing my food diary this past couple of days, i find out i average about less then 900 a day on a normal bases, i have to try an make myself eat more to get to at least 1000 to 1100 calories a day, how can people eat so much :/
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    billglitch wrote: »
    if you are always hungry try LCHF

Per her FitBit, she is burning 2800 cals/day (maybe overstated, but likely in the ballpark).
    Per her OP, she was eating 1200 cals/day (maybe underestimated, but likely in the ballpark).
    That's a deficit of 1600 cals/day.
    Even accounting for overestimating CO and underestimating CI - it is likely that she is just not eating enough calories, period, for her level of activity and her total energy needs.

Eating more calories in general is what she needs to do - not necessarily trying LCHF.

it was a suggestion, not a command
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    omg it is so hard to eat at least 1200 to 1500 calories a day, after doing my food diary this past couple of days, i find out i average about less then 900 a day on a normal bases, i have to try an make myself eat more to get to at least 1000 to 1100 calories a day, how can people eat so much :/

I have some guesses. Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Sometimes when people drastically change their diet, they feel full or bloated on less calories for the first few days. But honestly, if you are not hungry, you are not really eating 900 calories. It is really common to have logging errors when you start out (happened to me too!). There are a lot of incorrect entries in the database, and if you are eyeballing portions there may be some innacuracies as well. 900 calories isn't enough for a toddler.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Calorie dense foods (cooking oils, butter, nuts/nut butters, full fat dairy products) help to go a long way. Honestly, I can't eat less than 1500 or I'll get hangry.

OP, connect your Fitbit to MFP and eat the calories given to you to lose a pound a week plus a portion of those added on from Fitbit. Start with 50%, then adjust up or down depending on your loss after 3-4 weeks.
  • KristyAMartinez
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I have some guesses. Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

go for it, its public lol
  • KristyAMartinez
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Sometimes when people drastically change their diet, they feel full or bloated on less calories for the first few days. But honestly, if you are not hungry, you are not really eating 900 calories. It is really common to have logging errors when you start out (happened to me too!). There are a lot of incorrect entries in the database, and if you are eyeballing portions there may be some innacuracies as well. 900 calories isn't enough for a toddler.

an tbh, i am never hungry lol its been this way for years
  • KristyAMartinez
    Options
    iv had to force myself to eat lunch an eat fruits for nacks to just reach the 1000 mark lol
  • WinoGelato
    Options

You've been logging for just a few days? Not using a food scale?

You're likely eating more than you think.
  • KristyAMartinez
    Options

no...what u see there, is how i normally eat or less each day
  • KristyAMartinez
    Options
    look, i have to loose 26 lbs by nov. 22nd and i am very dedicated to this, cheating is not an option for me
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Right, but you aren't using a food scale, correct? You are logging a single apple at 80 cals every day. Depending on the weight of the apple, the calories could vary dramatically. You logged a single taco at 100 calories. What's in your taco? How much meat? What kind of shell? Cheese? Sour cream? Salsa?
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

an tbh, i am never hungry lol its been this way for years

I didn't go back for a huge amount of time, but I only see logging through this past Tuesday? So how do you actually know how much you're eating?

Also, I suspect incorrect logging/not weighing food/underestimating could be at play. I see an entry for 1 homemade ground beef taco and it's only 100 calories. Was it hard shell? Soft shell? Do you know how much ground beef was in it? Did it have cheese on it? Sour cream? If it was soft shell, the tortilla alone was 75 calories.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    looks like lots of carbs, low fat and low protein. I started doing low carb high fat in january and have lost over 90 pounds without exercise. High fats are more calorie dense and may let you continue to eat less, not feel too full and get enough calories. Do what ever makes you successful. check out dietdoctor.com. dont have to buy anything, just read
  • KristyAMartinez
    Options

Right, but you aren't using a food scale, correct? You are logging a single apple at 80 cals every day. Depending on the weight of the apple, the calories could vary dramatically. You logged a single taco at 100 calories. What's in your taco? How much meat? What kind of shell? Cheese? Sour cream? Salsa?

single taco at 100 calories. What's in my taco? 1/4 cup meat meat? What kind of shell? wheat, Cheese? none, Sour cream? never, Salsa? nope
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    look, i have to loose 26 lbs by nov. 22nd and i am very dedicated to this, cheating is not an option for me

Not sure why the time bound requirements, or what cheating has to do with it...

Have you read the stickied "Most Helpful Posts" that I linked above and that are at the top of the forum threads?

Here is a great one about why it is important to use a digital scale.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1290491/how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale/p1

There are many others here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260499/i-like-old-posts-and-i-cannot-lie/p1

If you have other specific questions it would probably be good to start your own thread.
  • KristyAMartinez
    Options
    ty for all ur help :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    This is why you need a food scale, @KristyAMartinez Watch the video. It is definitely worth your time.

https://youtu.be/XpHykP6e_Uk