How did you do it?!

Lets_Do_It
Lets_Do_It Posts: 202
edited September 29 in Success Stories
Okay, I was wondering if the people on here who have gotten to their goal weight would share their stories. How long did it take? What was the hardest part? etc. Thanks :]

Replies

• Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,317 Member
    I have lost 110 pounds and have about 10 more I want to lose. Here's my story...

I started trying to lose weight in November 2005 (after my mom's heart attack death at the age of 47). I weighed 245 pounds then, down from my all time high of 260. I started out journaling my food in a notebook. I found that I didn't want to have to write down something "bad," so I tried not to eat it. I also upped my water intake (now averaging 96 oz /day). I started walking several times a week with my husband and son. I got down to 218 before I got pregnant with my second child in October of 2006.

Jump ahead to June 2007. I had my daughter. I weighed 240 pounds when I had her. I added in more cardio, especially exercise videos like Walk Away the Pounds, the first Biggest Loser dvd, and Turbo Jam. I made sure to eat at least 5 servings of fruits/veggies each day, aim for lowfat dairies, lean meats, and had fun taking recipes and making them healthier. While I wasn't counting calories, I had a rough idea of how much I was eating. I got down to 180 pounds by May 2008. Surprise pregnancy.

Jump to January of 2009. I weighed 220 pounds when I had my second son. I added in 30 Day Shred, more Turbo Jam, some Billy Blanks, some Gilad, more walking, exercise bike, and treadmill. I eventually started running (June 2009). I made sure to eat whole grains, eat pretty cleanly, but I always had treats here and there. I continued that until January 2010 when I got down to 150-155 pounds. I have been "stuck" there ever since, but I also have had lots of sinus issues. (I'm having surgery for that tomorrow).

I have run several 5Ks, a 10K, and a half marathon. I have completed ChaLean Extreme and a hybrid of CLX and Turbo Fire. I do other videos and use the treadmill occasionally. I count calories at times, but I know I need to do that more to break through this plateau.

Whew...that was a lot! I hope it all makes sense. :smile:
  • Amy_B
    The hardest part is being so close to my goal and not getting there. I know I really need to work hard, but like I said, these sinus issues have been putting me down. I really hope after surgery I get back my motivation, drive, and energy!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Amy_B thank you for sharing!!!! I know you'll get there - health stuff can really mess with us!
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Eating healthy helped 80 % and exercise helped other 20 %. MFP helped 100 % and is helping me stay on track. If I had to say ONE weight loss secret, its this website haha!
    Also, signing up for a race!
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B thank you for sharing!!!! I know you'll get there - health stuff can really mess with us!
    Thanks!
  • Amy_B
    bumping for more replies
  • ThePinkPanther83
    ThePinkPanther83 Posts: 16 Member
    Bump! :smile:
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    18 months. The hard part was avoiding all the fad diets.
  • Lets_Do_It
    Lets_Do_It Posts: 202
    Wow! These stories are great guys!!! :] Congrats!
  • Leish81
    Leish81 Posts: 13 Member
    I have the tried and true story of yo-yo dieting. Growing up, I was never taught how to cook and better yet, I wasn't taught how to eat. Carbs became my best friend and so did the pounds that came along with them. Fast forward to my 21st birthday, well 3 days after, I got married... When I got my wedding photos back I cried. The next week I was in a Weight Watchers meeting. WW helped me with my journey of losing 75 lbs. My marriage was turning worse and food was my comfort again. I gained back 20 lbs. I was never a big alcohol drinker, I ate instead. Back to WW I went and some of the weight came off. Divorce was imminent and my weight flew off my body. In 2 months I lost 25 lbs and was WAY WAY WAY too skinny. But I was stressed beyond belief. (My divorce was one of the worst most people have seen and took 4 years.) A few boyfriends later, I started dating a wonderful man. A friend of (at that time) 11 years. 10 happy pounds came back within 2 months. Four months after we started dating I regained control but lost them by eating way too little. I stayed the same weight, plus or minus a few pounds, for the next 2 years. The Army moved him to Korea. Since I was still dealing with my divorce, I could not live with him. I ended up taking a job as an English Teacher in Korea. Loneliness and my BF working all the time led me to start eating again.

Happy days are here again. =) I got married to a wonderful man in March. But by that time I had gained 25 lbs since October. OUCH!!! At the end of April he and I went on a new healthy lifestyle together and now I am 20 lbs down. I was 23 lbs down 3 weeks ago. And that is why I am back to MFP. I felt like I was starting to not lose control but be less in control. Now is the time for me to lose the last 10 lbs.

But I will say, that you must be ready to take care of yourself before you can lose weight. My life is wonderful now and I am so in love with my husband. Finally, I was able to eat healthy for a life style change and not just "to lose weight". It doesn't work if your not in it for the long run!!!
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Eating healthy helped 80 % and exercise helped other 20 %. MFP helped 100 % and is helping me stay on track. If I had to say ONE weight loss secret, its this website haha!
    Also, signing up for a race!

Me too.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    I have lost 110 pounds and have about 10 more I want to lose. Here's my story...

I started trying to lose weight in November 2005 (after my mom's heart attack death at the age of 47). I weighed 245 pounds then, down from my all time high of 260. I started out journaling my food in a notebook. I found that I didn't want to have to write down something "bad," so I tried not to eat it. I also upped my water intake (now averaging 96 oz /day). I started walking several times a week with my husband and son. I got down to 218 before I got pregnant with my second child in October of 2006.

Jump ahead to June 2007. I had my daughter. I weighed 240 pounds when I had her. I added in more cardio, especially exercise videos like Walk Away the Pounds, the first Biggest Loser dvd, and Turbo Jam. I made sure to eat at least 5 servings of fruits/veggies each day, aim for lowfat dairies, lean meats, and had fun taking recipes and making them healthier. While I wasn't counting calories, I had a rough idea of how much I was eating. I got down to 180 pounds by May 2008. Surprise pregnancy.

Jump to January of 2009. I weighed 220 pounds when I had my second son. I added in 30 Day Shred, more Turbo Jam, some Billy Blanks, some Gilad, more walking, exercise bike, and treadmill. I eventually started running (June 2009). I made sure to eat whole grains, eat pretty cleanly, but I always had treats here and there. I continued that until January 2010 when I got down to 150-155 pounds. I have been "stuck" there ever since, but I also have had lots of sinus issues. (I'm having surgery for that tomorrow).

I have run several 5Ks, a 10K, and a half marathon. I have completed ChaLean Extreme and a hybrid of CLX and Turbo Fire. I do other videos and use the treadmill occasionally. I count calories at times, but I know I need to do that more to break through this plateau.

Whew...that was a lot! I hope it all makes sense. :smile:

You are a real inspiration. Doing all of this with 3 little ones at home and still doing it right. Your story made my eyes tear up! Thanks for sharing this.
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!