High Protein, Low Calorie Snacks? (No meat/dairy please)

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The only way to go low calorie for the volume is to add water or air. Also make sure it is close to fat free.

So...how do you add water to protein? Soup! You can try this. You could reduce the oil from a tablespoon to a teaspoon and skip the saute altogether. To increase protein you could replace the corn with more black beans or quinoa.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/25333/vegan-black-bean-soup/

Air? Puff it up. Maybe try a protein fluff, substituting soy milk for regular milk. You may also experiment replacing egg white with xanthan gum.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/protein-fluff-3-quick-and-easy-recipes.html

You've added a further complication that you want to avoid eggs, dairy and meat. That leaves the soy based products, gluten (seitan), and the various beans and legumes. The soy, beans and legumes will also have carbs. There's no getting around that.

Or you could go the vegetarian supplement route. Try spirulina. Meal in a pill. Yum.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    uhhh.... all I can think of is protein powder from a non dairy source. With no sugar in it. Watch out for that spirulina, when you open the bag (unencapsulated) it's gonna puff blue green powder all over your kitchen!
  • dkginger
    dkginger Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Lots of veggies! Peas, lima beans, asparagus, broccoli, artichokes all have decent protein value for very little calories. Corn, snow peas, kale, zucchini.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    What are some High Protein, Low Calorie Snacks? (No meat/dairy please)

I will be reducing my calories as I lose weight but still need roughly the same amount of protein. How do people with less then 1800 kcal a day do it? I'm mostly wondering how people that eat less the 1500 kcal a day get 100 g of protein without meat?

Edamame! Broccoli! Spinach!
  • amysue135
    amysue135 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    uhhh.... all I can think of is protein powder from a non dairy source. With no sugar in it. Watch out for that spirulina, when you open the bag (unencapsulated) it's gonna puff blue green powder all over your kitchen!

• amysue135
    amysue135 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love Beverly Internationl UMP protein powder. It's like 21 grams of protein and 120 calories per scoop. Tastes amazing too!
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    D's Natural's No Cow protein bars are pretty good, and vegan. Most are around 150-170cal and 20g protein.
  • jenniferburns1989
    jenniferburns1989 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    You mentioned eating a lot of lentils. Those are super calorie dense. Edamame is a lot of bang for your buck if you are avoiding eggs. (Egg whites are super low in calories but packed with protein.)
  • missspringb33
    missspringb33 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Isopure protein powder.....you can mix in just about everything.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Lentils. One cup = 230 calories and almost 20 g of protein (the protein of 3 eggs). Just cook until they are mushy because people lack an enzyme to digest the cellulose shell, which will give you gas. Cook a batch of lentils, add some vegetables stir fried in olive oil (tomatoes, onions, carrots, anything), add a little spice, and they make a great, filling snack. Lentils are one of the world's healthiest foods.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Pea protein powder

You could also consider cricket protein depending on your position on insects. It's expensive though
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Quinoa with nut butter and nibs,or with the vegs that do ginger suggested.Air Popcorn with nooch.A plain baked potatoe with parsley,and nooch.Nuts,seeds..just budget them in.I've made a Tofu jerky years ago,but can't do Soy anymore.Good luck & Good Health.
  • shirlmfrancis
    shirlmfrancis Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I am on a high protein no carb no dairy food plan for weight loss. For snacks I'm allowed a quest bar. The secret is to have 3/4 meals a day with protein and half a plate of greens. The likes of turkey burgers,turkey bacon are very high in protein but very low in fat and calories , fry in coconut oil. I promise it will keep you going!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    No, I really want to find a way to eat plant based protein with out it taking up the majority of my calories.

The problem here is that most vegetarian sources of protein are generally going to be more calorie dense because they are also usually good sources of carbohydrates...whereas meat is just meat and lean cuts are pretty low calories.

Your best bet IMO would be soy products...Edamame, tofu, etc.
  • rosiesshire
    rosiesshire Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love bean hummus made w. fat free sour cream & spices, spread on low calorie toast, or beans with brown rice cooked with coconut oil to reduce calories. Beans are awesome, you can also blend them up and replace flour in baking recipes i.e.: black bean brownies.
  • awoodward07
    awoodward07 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    AntoniaZ wrote: »

Agreed! I eat one every morning! Bonus: the cocoa raspberry bar has only 1g of Sugar!!
  • the3dwizard
    the3dwizard Posts: 39 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    If you are just needing to add extra plant based protein then take a look at the Vega Protein line. I still eat meat but use this instead of whey to get my extra protein as I wanted to reduce dairy in my diet. From their website:

1. Certified vegan
    2. Gluten-free
    3. Non-GMO
    4. Made without dairy or soy ingredients, artificial flavors, colors or sweeteners
  • trinidadio
    trinidadio Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I hear you. For the protein:calorie ratio you want, you will have to use a plant-based powder to supplement your beans and legumes. I've had great luck with hemp and pea proteins. And the Vega brand powders already mentioned. They are relatively cheap (well, not the Vega;-) easy to find and digest well if used once a day. The rest of the time I use raw hemp, or chia or flax seeds to supplement.

Something to keep in mind: unless you are training heavily for something like a marathon, or are a hardcore gym rat, or are pregnant or breastfeeding, you don't need more than .8g protein per kg bodyweight. And that number accounts for the reduced bioavailability of some plant-based protein. (see PCRM etc.)

Good luck! You can do it!