How do you cope with the way the world is?

Options
How do you personally cope with the utterly tragic, disgusting, horrifying things that humans do to each other, to animals and to the planet?

I'd like to say I just don't read or watch News but I do, I must and it's deeply depressing. I don't know that I cope at all. I often just cry.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Alcohol.

In all seriousness, though, I hear ya. There are times where I go on media blackout for a few days, just to take a break from the suck.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    I don't read news or watch them.. For real.. And my life has never been better..

Also.. Chocolate.. Chocolate fixes everything
  • lenoresdream
    lenoresdream Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid the news. Also kids cartoons make me happy haha. Someone said I have no grip on reality bc I watch kids cartoons. B@tch I know reality too damned well, why the hell you think I want to live in the Mickey Mouse club house?!

TV shows that make me laugh, good books that I can escape in, fun times with family and friends.

And watching cartoons with my friend's kids. I'm the coolest "auntie" ever lol.
  • Tsartele
    Tsartele Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    How do you personally cope with the utterly tragic, disgusting, horrifying things that humans do to each other, to animals and to the planet?

I'd like to say I just don't read or watch News but I do, I must and it's deeply depressing. I don't know that I cope at all. I often just cry.

First of all I dont stress about it.,, and second I make a conscious choice to focus on the positive things. There is beauty all around you if you only choose to see it. Third become a force for good in the world ... volunteer, do kind things for people with no expectation of return.. Love the unlovable
  • melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,338 Member
    Options
    Sugar_Pill wrote: »
    Xanax mostly

+ Rum
  • ErikaHope203
    ErikaHope203 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Such a deep question and I'm not really sure how to answer that. What upsets me most, I think, is the intolerance and the lack of compassion for others. Those are things that we as human beings have control over...the way we treat people.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Forty6and2 wrote: »
    Three things.

1. alcohol.jpg

2. 271214-booze.jpg

3. 183c853ca6945e690246a6579840c27b.jpg

Please tell me you know the Bailey's shoe reference.

Also, I 100% agree.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Such a deep question and I'm not really sure how to answer that. What upsets me most, I think, is the intolerance and the lack of compassion for others. Those are things that we as human beings have control over...the way we treat people.

This is why I've stopped reading the comments sections on news sites. Nothing destroys my faith in humanity faster.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options

Human selfishness and cruelty is beyond belief. The only way I can cope is to know I can't control what happens in the big world, but I can try to control myself and my own life -- I can try to live by my conscience and do some good while I am here, even if it's just to be kind to my next door neighbor.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    Three things.

1. alcohol.jpg

2. 271214-booze.jpg

Also, I 100% agree.

1d964b186c0493e5aa7e5d7fe8390fb91c683e64f84d438e2836881cb2c379be.jpg
  • Alienique
    Alienique Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I contemplate becoming a vigilante, but sadly, I don't have the proper physique or combat skills for it.
  • melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,338 Member
    Options
    Someone beat me to the Old Gregg meme
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I have a disco ball in my room.

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    Three things.

1. alcohol.jpg

2. 271214-booze.jpg

Also, I 100% agree.

1d964b186c0493e5aa7e5d7fe8390fb91c683e64f84d438e2836881cb2c379be.jpg

Beyond awesome. I just walked around saying "I'm Old Gregg" to annoy the hell out of my husband. So thank you. Night made.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of good going on in the world as well. Scorpjabo is right, the media focuses on negative stories because they produce ratings. Don't just focus on the bad, do what you can to make the world a better place. If we all do a little bit to make things better it will add up.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Xanax mostly
    melmelw03 wrote: »
    Xanax mostly

+ Rum

+weed
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    News by it's very nature is negative. When there's good news, it's called public relations.

That being said, the world has always been effed up. *shrug / nothing new to report

It's a better place today than say... I dunno, Europe and Asia in the 30's & 40's.

I'm actually encouraged that it will become better & better.