fresh raw veggies...Im not logging..Refuse to log! Anyone else?

Options

Replies

• kwil74
    kwil74 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone..I did keep some track today..4 slices of bell pepper, 4 baby carrots, 6 cherry tomatoes, 2 cups of iceburg, fixing to log and see..Im sure everyone is in the right..Even if it is only 45 calories atleast I will burn them searching for everything and logging..lol Happy dieting all ☺
  • Magic18
    Magic18 Posts: 71 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie whether healthy or not. I log all my calories as I need to know how many I eat. You may have a day where you just where within your goal but you left out 100 calories of veggies.

If for example you ate 100 calories of vegetables a day which is easily done. Consistently leave out 100 a day, that would be 36,500 calories a year you are leaving out which adds up to 10lbs.

Cut that in half as you ate about 50 I just read and you are eating 5lbs a year in veggies so good to track :) best of luck to you!
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    if im snacking on ANYTHING throughout the day i am for sure logging it.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    kwil74 wrote: »
    Thanks for the input everyone..I did keep some track today..4 slices of bell pepper, 4 baby carrots, 6 cherry tomatoes, 2 cups of iceburg, fixing to log and see..Im sure everyone is in the right..Even if it is only 45 calories atleast I will burn them searching for everything and logging..lol Happy dieting all ☺

Make sure you are weighing those veggies on a digital food scale and not using cups/spoons. I can definitely shove more spinach in a cup than what they say the calorie count of a 'cup of spinach' is.
  • concrete_daisies
    concrete_daisies Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    @kwil74 I'm totally with you!!! I don't log them much either.

Here is what I do: I treat logging fresh/steamed vegetables and fruit as optional. The exceptions are: potatoes and other high carb veges like kumara (sweet potato), peas(+other legumes), corn, bananas, avocados.

This works better for me than tracking them, because fruit + veges are often a filling, low calorie alternative to things that might make me fall off the wagon. Chocolate? Nope, an apple is free. Desert? Nope, how about watermelon. A second serving of dinner? Nah I'll just cook more broccoli. Also, it helps if I've already eaten my entire day's calories. This is when I am most likely to go overboard, but rather than binge or go to bed hungry, I just steam a few courgettes with moroccan spices :smile:

I know fruit and veges have calories, so I set myself quite a strict deficit. At 1200 cal (NET), it'd be very difficult for vegetables to put me into maintenance territory. And it gives me an incentive to eat healthy.

TLDR // Works for me.

• concrete_daisies
    Options
    I'd also like to point out that some very successful diets also do this, like Weight watchers. Making [most] veges free can work, as long as you set your calorie intake appropriately, and adjust it if necessary.
  • concrete_daisies
    Options
    Setting the calorie intake appropriately is the key thing many people miss. The reason WW can have 'free' fruit and veg is that the point allocations are lower than the usual calorie recommendation for that same person, to build in a buffer.

It's part marketing tool, part incentive program to get people snacking on fruit and veg. If they gave fruit and veg points, many people would have a cookie instead of a banana, because they're the same points.

For me it's the mental game (which is a huge part of weight loss). If I know I can't eat ANYTHING more, and I'm hungry, then I'm just going to say screw it and eat whatever. And then feel guilty.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Another thing you could do is pre-make a container of veggies (could even do a bunch at once), log it, and then just eat from the container as you feel like on that day. Makes it easier rather than trying to log each and every time independently. Could portion out some dressing too and just eat from it as well.

I go a step further and pre-log my whole days, which makes it even faster.
  • campbell3913
    campbell3913 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I log them, but don't stress. I guestimate them, but then I guestimate quite a bit. So far it's worked for me. As several people said if you're not losing weight then you probably need to.
  • RelevantGains
    RelevantGains Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    There was a post recently I saw on facebook. It said, there are only 3 reasons not to track vegetables:

1. You don't eat any
    2. You want an excuse to eat as much as you want, of something and hope there is no consequence.
    3. You don't care about being accurate with your food tracking.

Personally, if it's a piece of lettuce on a sandwich with 0 calories, I'm not wasting my time with tracking it. But avacados, tomatoes, carrots, etc. I will.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    emmykayyy wrote: »
    I'd also like to point out that some very successful diets also do this, like Weight watchers. Making [most] veges free can work, as long as you set your calorie intake appropriately, and adjust it if necessary.

Setting the calorie intake appropriately is the key thing many people miss. The reason WW can have 'free' fruit and veg is that the point allocations are lower than the usual calorie recommendation for that same person, to build in a buffer.

It's part marketing tool, part incentive program to get people snacking on fruit and veg. If they gave fruit and veg points, many people would have a cookie instead of a banana, because they're the same points.

Right. If you eat vegetables consistently (usually the same amount over the course of a week), not logging doesn't matter -- just realize you are eating more than you are logging and reduce. (This is why I don't log the small amount of calories in my black coffee.)

Personally, the WW trick doesn't work for me, since I'm not going to avoid eating vegetables in order to fit something else in my limit anyway, and I hate the idea that I'm logging "bad" foods (not how I think of foods) and "good" foods are free. (Also why I wouldn't do WW.)

What works for me is being as neutral and rational as possible in my approach to food and seeing the log as a way of monitoring my diet, which includes things like macros and nutrients and just being able to see if I was snacking or how many veg I was eating, etc.--basically, what was working in a day that worked, what wasn't in a day that didn't. Plus, weird I know, but I find it pleasurable to log vegetables and see that I met my personal goals or ate a good variety or whatever, and if I started justifying not logging food items it would encourage me to skip other things. Better to just see the log as informative of everything.

But that's me -- if someone finds it burdensome or uses the log differently or really would avoid eating vegetables if they were logged, well, a different approach may well work better.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    w.r.t. Health/Fitness/diet : There are loads of things that I've said "I'm never going to do" which I later ended up doing.
  • adhollifield
    adhollifield Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I track lettuce/spinach etc if it is a salad but not if it is on a sandwich. Also I don't typically track the veggies on my subway sub. I ALWAYS track fruit. I'm super new though. I can tell you if I don't loose wt. I bet it is not because of that
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I do log them, I think it's such a good eye opener how much you can eay for so little calories, even makes me feel a little smug. I ate 10 calories worth of spinach... oooooo! :D
    Edit: I don't log my (black) coffee/tea or water intake. I only log drinks when they contain calories (ie cappuccino, alcohol)
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Your body logs them whether you do or not.

That's actually very inspirational!!

• Dayle1984
    Dayle1984 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Interesting question.

I have had this discussion with my mom, she does WW, and on that program I believe all veggies and most fruits are "free" ... I agree with what most others said though, I think you want logging to be as detailed and accurate as possible, so it's probably best to track everything.

If you are doing IIFYM, there is a fair bit of carbs in vegetables and especially fruit, so worth keeping track for those reasons as well.

What I do, is when I'm prepping the veggies I weigh them at that time, and I will prep say 3-4 baggies of veggies at a time, make them all the same weights, and then I can just copy from/do date to log the same exact thing day after day, this works for me. It also gives a more accurate picture of say a meal - if you look back it will say I had chicken for dinner that day, but what else did I have. Things like that.
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My dinner yesterday had 233 calories of veg in. That's one meal. They might not be much individually, but they sure add up.
  • KimF0715
    KimF0715 Posts: 114 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I like to look at the "Nutrition" breakdown everyday. I like to see that I am getting enough fiber. I have Celiac Disease and I have a history of colon cancer in my family. So when I eat lots of veggies, I usually make my fiber goal. So I log the heck out of them. :smile: