Options
2»

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    BigJes37 wrote: »
    It really depends on overall goals. Alot of low carb diets people lose alot of weight but majority of that loss is muscle if not properly done. It comes down to overall numbers not necessarily what's foods. Hitting those goal numbers is what's going to matter. I wouldn't worry about specific foods unless your going for something more serious such as a competition or such. I'm talking more for general weight loss and maintaining it.

A low carb diet is actually pretty muscle sparing. The first day or two it isn't, but once the body starts to adjust, protein needs are actually a bit lower.

Yeah. As protein can be converted into a carb, you can spare carbs by reducing your carb needs by entering ketosis.

Did I teach you? I think I had one of you in most classes.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It really depends on overall goals. Alot of low carb diets people lose alot of weight but majority of that loss is muscle if not properly done. It comes down to overall numbers not necessarily what's foods. Hitting those goal numbers is what's going to matter. I wouldn't worry about specific foods unless your going for something more serious such as a competition or such. I'm talking more for general weight loss and maintaining it.

A low carb diet is actually pretty muscle sparing. The first day or two it isn't, but once the body starts to adjust, protein needs are actually a bit lower.

Ah Haaaah.
    Are you accepting new friends? I would like to see a actual sample day of this. I just looked some up on internet. And then I had my usual favorite snack. Apple and peanut butter. From what I read, my apple is not fitting into this equation. Hummm. :neutral: I may send you a request. So I can have a friend whos doing this on MFP.

I'm not a good one to friend for diet ideas. I rarely log anymore.

When I was losing a typical day would be an egg and bacon; coffee with whipping cream or coconut cream or coconut oil; a can of tuna with mayo and celery; and a steak and salad for dinner; maybe some nuts for a snack.

For more ideas, join the MFP Low Carber Daily group. There are plenty of meal ideas and many have an open diary. (I closed mine after some problems with some old MFP members)
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I'm barely awake in the morning but typically ravenous so I have a smoothie for breakfast at around 6:30. Ingredients are normally water, vanilla protein, high fat yogurt (11%) and frozen strawberries. Typically 15-20g net carbs, and generally 1/2 to 1/3 my total carbs for the day. It's between 275-325 calories. I then subsist on coffee with whipping cream once I get to work until I have lunch at 11:30.
  • dwanachapman
    dwanachapman Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had half a avocado, with a can of albacore tuna, and a dash of Dijon mustard mixed, with some cucumbers, and a half an orange. It was too much, but what I did eat was filling, and I did not blow my carbs. I'm in the 50-75 range. If you like tuna, you can mix Parmesan cheese, eggs, and tuna, and make a nice tuna patty. I have a hard to time with protein, I don't eat any meat besides fish. It really is about getting creative. I was surprised that you could make the zucchini/spinach egg fritter's, and they were low in carbs, because they are delish. Using coconut oil with help bump up your fat. This weekend I'm trying spaghetti squash, made into hash browns. I really miss hash browns. lol
  • GodivaTrailrider
    GodivaTrailrider Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    What counts as 'Low Carb' ? I've been avoiding Baked Beans as I know they have 'some' carbs.... I see War-horse says he now has 100-150g a day.... If I had 2 poached and half a tin of Beans I'd be happy with that for breakfast. I think there is about 30g carbs in 200g of beans ... is that low carb?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

I'd think your protein needs would go up on vl carbs. Gluconeogenesis converting some of your dietary protein to glucose and all.
  • frankieb1990
    frankieb1990 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    BACON :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What counts as 'Low Carb' ? I've been avoiding Baked Beans as I know they have 'some' carbs.... I see War-horse says he now has 100-150g a day.... If I had 2 poached and half a tin of Beans I'd be happy with that for breakfast. I think there is about 30g carbs in 200g of beans ... is that low carb?

Rather than worrying about what's "low carb," which no one will agree on and which (unlike keto) doesn't mean anything specific, why not set your own goal and see if a particular food or meal fits? It's a lot easier to fit 150 g (I'm not low carb and yet I'm often around that number) than under 50, so it's going to depend on your own carb goals.

Personally I think of beans as pretty high carb -- they aren't low cal, and I ran black beans and about 73% of their calories are from carbs (if you add a sugary/tomato sauce they will be higher, if you add fat the overall percentage of the dish from carbs will be lower, of course). But someone said blueberries are low carb and yet they were the single highest "net carb" contributor of my overall high carb breakfast the other day (about 21 carbs and 17 net carbs in around 100 g). So it really depends on how you like to eat and your goals.
  • BigJes37
    BigJes37 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

Citation for this please. The "majority" of the loss being muscle, I mean.

Yes sorry not majority lol.
    I myself among others have tried the low card to no carb diet. What I see a lot of times without the proper knowledge on doing this and a balance of your nutrition and not tracking what your actually losing being body fat or water or muscle. They read about it and just drop carbs which leads to lean muscle loss which helps the process of burning that body fat. To many time I've watched individuals get excited about the quick weight loss and in time not be happy with how they look in the mirror hence the skin fat is still there. I appreciate all the advice I see on hear cause by all means I'm no expert just years of trail and error on myself and others.
  • BenKyloRenSolo
    BenKyloRenSolo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just want to politely throw in the idea that a diet that doesn't consist of food you like, maybe doesn't "work for you".

I never said I didn't like eating eggs if thats what you're referring too. I said breakfast foods usually includes eggs in it and just wanted to change it up so I don't get sick of things with eggs in it. This post I created was for what else do people eat in the morning. i've had plenty of success doing this diet so It does work for me.
  • celinend
    celinend Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    For breakfast - low carb protein bars (like quest), low-ish carb cereal (here) with almond or coconut milk, or homemade low carb muffins or pancakes with butter. I make big batches and then freeze and reheat.

If I remember correctly, the muffins are basically just berries, almond flour, eggs, baking powder and sugar substitute, but the pancakes are made of sour cream, flaxseed meal, shredded coconut, stevia and a few other things. The recipes are from George Stella's and Dana Carpender's books.

I just got a Nespresso maker, so I drink black coffee from that and plain old tea.
  • Sezold5758
    Sezold5758 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ham is actually really good in the morning! Especially if you get the steak hams and fry them in a pan. Or even turkey sausages are great