Options
13»

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    omg it is so hard to eat at least 1200 to 1500 calories a day, after doing my food diary this past couple of days, i find out i average about less then 900 a day on a normal bases, i have to try an make myself eat more to get to at least 1000 to 1100 calories a day, how can people eat so much :/

I have some guesses. Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

go for it, its public lol

The coffee, the ground beef tacos - are these entries you created? If not, you have no idea whether they used the same ingredients you do. The Hamburger Helper, did you weigh the ground beef you added? The fruit - are you weighing it? The Outtakes salad - what were the ingredients? Did you actually eat that brand? You should never use generic entries - they are other people's recipes.

Even if you don't want to use a food scale long term, doing so even for a couple of weeks will help you get a sense of the way a portion of food really looks, and help you start out with good numbers to work with. Good luck!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Here's an example about needing to verify user-created entries. There are four different values for what I was able to screen shot, plus more options when I scrolled down.

49854e926960708f0e450cec44ca4071.png
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    omg it is so hard to eat at least 1200 to 1500 calories a day, after doing my food diary this past couple of days, i find out i average about less then 900 a day on a normal bases, i have to try an make myself eat more to get to at least 1000 to 1100 calories a day, how can people eat so much :/

I have some guesses. Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

go for it, its public lol

You've been logging for just a few days? Not using a food scale?

You're likely eating more than you think.

no...what u see there, is how i normally eat or less each day

Right, but you aren't using a food scale, correct? You are logging a single apple at 80 cals every day. Depending on the weight of the apple, the calories could vary dramatically. You logged a single taco at 100 calories. What's in your taco? How much meat? What kind of shell? Cheese? Sour cream? Salsa?

single taco at 100 calories. What's in my taco? 1/4 cup meat meat? What kind of shell? wheat, Cheese? none, Sour cream? never, Salsa? nope
    Usually, the taco shells are around 80-120 calories and at least 100 calories for the ground beef, depending on the leanness.

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    1200 calories is extremely low for any adult, let alone a young adult, let alone a young adult who is occasionally active. 1200 calories is the diet of a 2 year old or a 4'5'' tall 90 year old woman who is mostly in bed.

Yes, you need to eat more than that most definitely and unless you have 60 pounds to lose trying to lose 2 pounds a week is overly aggressive. If you try to lose like that you are going to hit a wall and even if you manage to somehow will yourself to starve like that what you are going to get for your trouble is muscle loss which is going to damage your health and make keeping the weight off extremely difficult.

Ease up. Switch to a slower loss and eat much more than you are currently eating. You can probably eat 1800 a day and still lose at a reasonable rate given your age and activity level (not sure what your weight is).
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    iv had to force myself to eat lunch an eat fruits for nacks to just reach the 1000 mark lol

How did you become overweight then?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

We all managed to eat so much, that's how we became overweight. None of us here because we struggled to eat 1000 calories :wink:

• daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    1200 calories is extremely low for any adult, let alone a young adult, let alone a young adult who is occasionally active. 1200 calories is the diet of a 2 year old or a 4'5'' tall 90 year old woman who is mostly in bed.

Yes, you need to eat more than that most definitely and unless you have 60 pounds to lose trying to lose 2 pounds a week is overly aggressive. If you try to lose like that you are going to hit a wall and even if you manage to somehow will yourself to starve like that what you are going to get for your trouble is muscle loss which is going to damage your health and make keeping the weight off extremely difficult.

Ease up. Switch to a slower loss and eat much more than you are currently eating. You can probably eat 1800 a day and still lose at a reasonable rate given your age and activity level (not sure what your weight is).

Before the OP goes about eating more food, she needs to tighten up her logging. I agree that she should eat more than 1200kcal per day, but until she learns how to log properly, saying just to "eat more" isn't the best advice.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    daniip_la wrote: »

Before the OP goes about eating more food, she needs to tighten up her logging. I agree that she should eat more than 1200kcal per day, but until she learns how to log properly, saying just to "eat more" isn't the best advice.

Yeah fair enough. 1200 calories isn't 1200 calories if she is logging poorly. Might be that that 1200 she is reporting is more like 1600. I'm assuming that she is accurately reporting that she is consuming 1200 calories in which case that is far to low, if she isn't eating that little then my point doesn't apply.
  • KristyAMartinez
    KristyAMartinez Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    iv had to force myself to eat lunch an eat fruits for nacks to just reach the 1000 mark lol

well, tbh it started due to 20 years of seizure medication, and now i cant seem to loose from bad eating cause i guess i do not eat right, do not eat enough calories, an prob too many carbs
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

well, tbh it started due to 20 years of seizure medication, and now i cant seem to loose from bad eating cause i guess i do not eat right, do not eat enough calories, an prob too many carbs

You really need to read those links I provided above. All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. You are not logging accurately currently so you are likely eating more than you think. The amount of carbs doesn't matter, unless you have a medical reason to restrict them.

• KristyAMartinez
    Options
    what you do not understand is, I normally eat like once a day an thats not much when I do, I am having to train myself to eat that breakfast, lunch, an maybe snacks [healthy] and make sure they are low carbs, i am not a soda drinker, an my breakfast was normally always a pot of coffee an then switched to ice tea all day, and then had my dinner at 5pm, that was my day. no matter how active i am or was, thats how i was/or ate, maybe due to new meds now lower my appetite, not sure, but i meet with the doctor on the 1st and will talk about it with him that day.
  • KristyAMartinez
    Options
    more like a surgical reason to restrict them
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    OP how much weight are you trying to lose? That will help determine an appropriate per week weight loss goal...
  • KristyAMartinez
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    How much weight are you trying to lose? That will help determine an appropriate per week weight loss goal...

atm, 26 lbs by Nov. 22nd
  • J72FIT
    edited August 2016
    Options
    How much weight are you trying to lose? That will help determine an appropriate per week weight loss goal...

atm, 26 lbs by Nov. 22nd

I'm sorry, that was directed at the OP.

I'll answer yours though. At 26lbs to lose a weekly goal of 1lbs per week is fine. That said, when medications are involved the numbers can get wonky so definitely talk to your doctor.

Why by Nov. 22nd if I may ask?
  • KristyAMartinez
    Options

atm, 26 lbs by Nov. 22nd

I'll answer yours though. At 26lbs to lose a weekly goal of 1lbs per week is fine. That said, when medications are involved the numbers can get wonky so definitely talk to your doctor.

for surgical reasons and to help shrink the liver to make the surgery go easy
  • J72FIT
    Options

atm, 26 lbs by Nov. 22nd

for surgical reasons and to help shrink the liver to make the surgery go easy

Interesting...
    Definitely one for the docs to help you with. Good luck, hope all goes well :)
  • wwkwag
    wwkwag Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    This is why you need a food scale, @KristyAMartinez Watch the video. It is definitely worth your time.

https://youtu.be/XpHykP6e_Uk

Thank you for sharing this!! I've never seen this before. VERY interesting. I use the scale for the majority of things but I do measure quite a lot too. Looks like I'll be ditching the measuring cups!!