Energy Drinks

Options
2»

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    BigJes37 wrote: »
    Was only trying to say there's healthier alternatives the to trick your body into thinking there's a sugar source coming that the body would naturally turn into energy hence a crash possibly. When doing this often enough your body learns not to use real sugar properly therefore creating less energy effect whichin turn you here people saying they don't work for me anymore or they have to consume alot of them. Also I've seen the effects of that much caffeine and b vitamins in one shot on an ultra sound of the heart after drinking one of these from a teenager.

I'm definitely NOT a teenager. ;)
  • merryward13
    merryward13 Posts: 1,662 Member
    Options
    Was only trying to say there's healthier alternatives the to trick your body into thinking there's a sugar source coming that the body would naturally turn into energy hence a crash possibly. When doing this often enough your body learns not to use real sugar properly therefore creating less energy effect whichin turn you here people saying they don't work for me anymore or they have to consume alot of them. Also I've seen the effects of that much caffeine and b vitamins in one shot on an ultra sound of the heart after drinking one of these from a teenager.

I'm definitely NOT a teenager. ;)

Yes. I'm a much more experienced caffeine consumer
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Nice try. Artificial sweeter? Naturally occurring flavors? Something man made? Recreated?

I looked every one of them up. Feel free to do so yourself. And I'm not a-scared of aspertame...

There's nothing to fear regarding aspartame. It doesn't trick me, I trick me.
  • BigJes37
    BigJes37 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yes I know. Has nothing to do with that. A good friend of mine had same test on his 25 year daughter. Energy drink aside research high dose of caffeine and b vitamins mixed together and taking at one time and the effects on heart.
    I respect your input but seems your focus is on the anti energy drink part then all the other details I've posted. Sorry if i might have offended you. We all have a certain level of experience and knowledge in fitness/dieting.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Yes I know. Has nothing to do with that. A good friend of mine had same test on his 25 year daughter. Energy drink aside research high dose of caffeine and b vitamins mixed together and taking at one time and the effects on heart.
    I respect your input but seems your focus is on the anti energy drink part then all the other details I've posted. Sorry if i might have offended you. We all have a certain level of experience and knowledge in fitness/dieting.

Energy drinks have barely more caffeine than a cup of black coffee. So where's that high dose?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Energy drinks have barely more caffeine than a cup of black coffee. So where's that high dose?

That depends on the energy drink:

Caffeine levels per serving ranged from about 6 milligrams to 242 milligrams per serving—and some containers have more than one serving. The highest level was in 5-hour Energy Extra Strength; the lowest in the seemingly oxymoronic 5-hour Energy Decaf. (The company says it’s for people who want to limit caffeine but still get a blend of nutrients that provides “an energy boost and a sustained feeling of alertness.”) By comparison, an 8-ounce cup of coffee has about 100 milligrams; a 16-ounce Starbucks Grande, 330 milligrams.

Complete article:
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2012/12/the-buzz-on-energy-drink-caffeine/index.htm?loginMethod=auto
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I went with 500 ml (=16 oz) Monster. 165 mg.
  • mdonsbach
    mdonsbach Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It's odd how some people "need" the fix and others don't. I hate coffee and can't stand the stuff unless it is loaded down with other stuff. Outside of the occasional soda I don't drink caffeine at all and I don't have a problem with my energy levels or getting up at 5:30 every morning to go to work.

The body is an amazing and perplexing thing.
  • Spencerport
    Spencerport Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I prefer Monster Rehab. 20 calories for the whole can. Also 5 Hour Energy work great for me, those are 4 calories, but they taste disgusting. 5 Hour is what I drink before a long gym session or when I go kayaking/standup paddleboarding.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    We all have a 100% of dying, so I'ma continue with my morning coffee and afternoon Monster Ultra. Kthnx.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    We all have a 100% of dying, so I'ma continue with my morning coffee and afternoon Monster Ultra. Kthnx.

My kinda girl! ;)
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    mdonsbach wrote: »
    It's odd how some people "need" the fix and others don't. I hate coffee and can't stand the stuff unless it is loaded down with other stuff. Outside of the occasional soda I don't drink caffeine at all and I don't have a problem with my energy levels or getting up at 5:30 every morning to go to work.

The body is an amazing and perplexing thing.

On the radio this morning they were stating that scientists have linked a certain gene to whether someone "needs" caffeine or not. It's not my fault, it's genetic! LOL :D
  • Pow377
    Pow377 Posts: 73 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I have a pre-w/o in the mornings before my cardio / weights just to give me a boost then if i do flag during the day a Monster Ultra Zero.

If i have the calories spare i'd opt for an iced coffee or a monster rehab, luckily i don't like the full sugar energy drinks unless mixed with jagermeister haha
  • SisypheanWorkout
    SisypheanWorkout Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Pow377 wrote: »
    I have a pre-w/o in the mornings before my cardio / weights just to give me a boost then if i do flag during the day a Monster Ultra Zero.

If i have the calories spare i'd opt for an iced coffee or a monster rehab, luckily i don't like the full sugar energy drinks unless mixed with jagermeister haha

Mmmmm, Jagerbombs. This might not be a productive weekend after all.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew. But caffeine has no impact on me, so I can quite easily take it or leave it. Maybe just cut back slowly?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am on the simpler side and just buy caffeine in a tablet form. But I do drink my a.m. java too.