Strong Curves- alternate exercises?

Options
ItsyBitsy246
ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
edited August 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I've seen Strong Curves recommended quite a bit on these forums. There is a fitness center at work, and a small one in my building but neither have barbells or a squat rack, only dumbbells and exercise machines (also cardio machines), and I don't have room for my own setup.

For those in the know, I ask is there any point in going the Strong Curves route without access to barbells (before I drop money on the book)? I'm inquiring because I've read some book reviews that say it suggests doing alternate exercises if need be, but doesn't explicitly call any out, and that barbells are used. Pondering options. Thanks.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Buy the book. SC has 4 different programs, one of which is all bodyweight, plus an extensive reference section/exercise glossary. Anybody who can't find substitute exercises in that book is kind of hopeless. You should be fine.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    There's an extensive list of exercises in the book. As long as you sub out say a hip dominant exercise with another in the same list, you can sub all you need to.

I do SC at home and have had to sub or modify a few exercises because of that. But it's very easy. Like side crunches. I subbed them for dumbell side bends as side crunches (even on a ball) are difficult for me.
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Thanks, I'll give it a go. Didn't know there was a bodyweight section, so that's an additional plus.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Hi there!I am the co-author of Strong Curves and wanted to mention there are some great FB groups where you can get advice on substitutions. We have the exercise index in the back of the book as well. I know it can feel a bit overwhelming with all the options, so feel free to reach out with any questions.

Nice to meet you, I'm Barack Obama.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Hi there!I am the co-author of Strong Curves and wanted to mention there are some great FB groups where you can get advice on substitutions. We have the exercise index in the back of the book as well. I know it can feel a bit overwhelming with all the options, so feel free to reach out with any questions.

If you were to narrow your glute training down to three main exercises, what would they be?

I always include barbell hip thrusts in my strength training sessions. What other two glute exercises top your list for go-tos? I know Strong Curves has a good mix but if you had to choose just three?