Phentermine 37.5 - Any recent users

Options
Was on lower dose of Phentermine several years ago and saw great success - 170 lbs. down to 135 lbs. in 4 months. After losing my husband to cancer I completely gave up and gave into using food as comfort. Over the past few years I have watched in complete despair as the scale crept closer and then passed 200 lbs. At 5'3 and now 223 lbs. I am so miserable and have no energy...not to mention turning 53 and knowing that if I don't do something immediately it will only get worse and be that much more difficult to get under control.

My doc prescribed Phentermine 37.5 and reaffirmed what I already knew - they aren't a miracle pill and I need to add back in daily exercise. but I cut them in half which is more than enough - a whole pill might just put me in orbit! Started them on Tuesday, 8/23/16 - today is Friday, 8/26/16. I am experiencing the energy boost and loss of appetite and of course there is the dry mouth and slight headaches that I recalled from taking it before. Headaches are bearable and easily relieved with a few Advil...jumped on scale this morning "just to peek" and down to 219 already. I'm logging everything I eat, have started using that gym membership that I've had for a year and used only once until this week and I already feel good. So motivated and focused - unlike anytime I have been over the past few years. My kids and I have a trip planned to Cancun in January and although I doubt it will be possible to be at my ultimate goal weight of 135 lbs. - I do know I will have made significant progress and be able to enjoy it.

Would love to hear more recent reviews that include the good, the bad and the ugly and perhaps support each other!

Thanks....jak

Replies

• lima013
    lima013 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I tried it many years ago and I did not like that stuff! Headaches and insomnia are the worst !! I prefer losing weight with a caloric deficit and exercise!
  • heathershuler
    heathershuler Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great job Jakummerle! What ever it takes to get motivated works! You just have to get your mind right! I know how you feel! I have tried Phentermine in the past and it also helped me. I just took it on the weekends for a short period of time and it worked great. You can do this! You will look and feel amazing by January for your trip! Just don't give up!
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I used it a few years ago when a doctor prescribed it for me. It helped a lot at first and a friend noticed and got on it too. I experienced headaches, insomnia, mood swings and then eventually it stopped working. Both my friend and I tried to get off of it but when we tried, we both gained too much weight back. We were totally dependent on it. I hated the way that felt. I eventually decided to that I needed to do the work and make my body get healthy on its own. At first my weight was higher than ever before but eventually I trained my body and mind to get stronger and be a fat burning machine. :) I don't regret the transformation I had on my own but I do regret taking Phentermine. That just my experience with it.
  • normalicia11
    normalicia11 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I tried in the past, I was prescribed the 12.5 dose...one week was enough to put me in the hospital, (palpitations, arrhythmia, shortness of breath, besides terrible headaches), I did lose 5lbs but it wasn't worth it, It took me months to feel normal again.Not to mention I gained it all back and more. I REGRET taking it.
    In my opinion I think is better to lose it thru eating healthy foods and exercising, I know it takes longer but from what I've read is easier to keep it off the way.
    Good luck to you on this journey
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I used it for a few months, had no ill effects, and was very happy with how it controlled my appetite, allowing me to learn to eat less & get used to eating normal sized portions.
    When I stopped using it, the appetite control remained. (I still eat emotionally, but am not ravenously hungry all the time, as I was before using phentermine.)

It's not a miracle pill, you have to do the work of getting to the gym & not putting extra food in your mouth,
    and you can only use it for a short time.
    It's only approved for short-term use, and only when the patient is obese, or overweight with other health issues.
  • mrlong1983
    mrlong1983 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am currently on it as well. I used it last year but changed nothing else. Lost a little weight, but started back last week and have lost 9 pounds. I always felt hungry and hated to "diet" because I was always so hungry. I count my calories and use it to help keep the hunger down between meals. It may not be a miracle drug, but after taking I felt like a normal person not always being hungry. I have quite a bit of weight to lose and doubt I will be on it for the whole journey, but I am hoping I can condition myself enough to not always feel hungry when I dont have it.

Good look on the weight loss. I have been overweight my whole life and losing weight has always been the most difficult thing for me. Just got to keep your head up and make more good decisions than bad.
  • afort001
    afort001 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It gave me heart palpitations and I was weak and unable to workout from not eating enough calories
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    Options
    lima013 wrote: »
    I tried it many years ago and I did not like that stuff! Headaches and insomnia are the worst !! I prefer losing weight with a caloric deficit and exercise!

Same here

• montaguek
    montaguek Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Had to get heart checked as part of a group lawsuit 20 years ago. Some people were diagnosed with significant heart issues after phen-phen scripts. It works l lost 80 to hundred pounds. It is like taking prescription amphetamines with many side effects one of them is forgetting to eat. I think there are guidelines for prescribing now that limit the time you can use the drug to limit the heart problems and other issues. There is no replacement for exercise and eating healthy. Most people gain back all of the weight and more once they stop taking the prescription because they have not changed their habits and lifestyle. They were just taking a drug and flying high.
  • PrettyBrownEyes85
    PrettyBrownEyes85 Posts: 10 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I was prescribed phentermine 37.5 mg tablets a few days ago. My doctor really needs me to drop some weight since some recent lab results came back.

I stared it a few days ago, only taking half a pill early in the a.m. before breakfast . The first day was okay. My appetite was gone. Forced myself to eat 1300 calories and walked a hour. Couldn't sleep at all that night.

Repeated the same thing the next day and had a massive headache and felt like my heart was going to jump out of my chest. I checked my blood pressure to also see my heart rate and my BP was scary high.

I didn't sleep that much that might either and once I'd dose off I'd have a panic like attack waking myself right back up.

Next day, same routine, same headache, fast heart rate, high BP. And added very, very hot and irritable.

I'm no longer taking this pill. I threw them away.

I've seen great success from others online who used this, but it's not worth it to me. I'm going to force myself to the gym and just suck up eating less calories. Praying I can do this.

Hope you have a great success!
  • normalicia11
    normalicia11 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    @PrettyBrownEyes85 You can do this! I know at the beginning you have to force yourself to work out and choose healthy foods but after a few weeks it comes natural. I started in May and already lost 27 lbs, eating healthy and exercising at home. The short ways are not worth it.
    My dr said the damage that was done to my heart with this pill can't be reversed, I don't have any problems now but I am afraid that I will in the future.
  • cattin
    cattin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Phen works for some and some cannot take it at all. I find if it is used appropriately I do well on it. I do not have the side effects though nor does it make me feel high or overly hyper. It keeps me from thinking about eating 24/7 that is what I like about it. If someone brings something unhealthy in the office it does not "call my name" like normal, I find it gives me more self control. I will say I have been logging my calories to make sure i eat enough and not too much. I am exercising and making better food choices. I think the important thing is to change your eating style more than anything. Going back to bad habits will put weight back on no matter how you lose it. Good luck to everyone!!!
  • kbsangel1986
    kbsangel1986 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in May with hypothyroidism and started on levothyroxine. Due to a reaction to my thyroid meds, I gained roughly 20 pounds in a the first 6 week period after diagnosis, despite healthy food choices and having a labor intensive job and an additional 10 during the next 8 following 8 weeks. My third appointment had my thyroid levels correct and I was again offered adipex (phentermine) which I had previously turned down. I have been on it for almost a month now after researching it and realizing that I could use it not as a weight loss drug but as an opportunity to learn to recognize my body's signals and allow my stomach to possibly shrink some. For the first three days, i was HOT and didn't sleep well because I was fidgety, then everything went back to normal. As of Monday last week, I have lost 12.9 pounds, but I don't exactly attribute that to the phentermine as I have been using MFP, work a labor intensive job and try to work out 3 times a week. I feel as though the phentermine allows me to not obsess (yes, actually obsess) about my next meal. I think that it coupled with smart choices and limiting my food intake has allowed me to learn to listen to my body again and is allowing my stomach (the actual stomach, not my fat gut) to slowly go back to a normal size. Went to a pizza buffet last night and i stopped after 2 slices of pizza and a small salad. I was almost "full" feeling after a normal meal and I can recognized it. Yes, I COULD eat more, but i was satiated. I am learning and my body is re-learning, so I call it a win. I go back in a month for a check up and another full blood panel to make sure no damage is being caused.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!