How do you cope with the way the world is?

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Denial.
  • futureicon
    futureicon Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    makingmark wrote: »
    There is a lot of good going on in the world as well. Scorpjabo is right, the media focuses on negative stories because they produce ratings. Don't just focus on the bad, do what you can to make the world a better place. If we all do a little bit to make things better it will add up.

Here's a sad tidbit. A few years back I decided that I wanted to balance my "normal" news with some good news. I found this site that was called the good news network and they focused on only reporting happy stories. That really brightened things up for me.. then one day I went to their site and it had become subscription based. No more free good news. Good news is now a premium. LoL :(
  • laddcompanies
    laddcompanies Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I just focus on work and getting ahead in life that way I can make a real difference one day like own a preservation for endangered plants and animals
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    futureicon wrote: »
    There is a lot of good going on in the world as well. Scorpjabo is right, the media focuses on negative stories because they produce ratings. Don't just focus on the bad, do what you can to make the world a better place. If we all do a little bit to make things better it will add up.

Here's a sad tidbit. A few years back I decided that I wanted to balance my "normal" news with some good news. I found this site that was called the good news network and they focused on only reporting happy stories. That really brightened things up for me.. then one day I went to their site and it had become subscription based. No more free good news. Good news is now a premium. LoL :(

Wow, I actually got excited for a moment when I read there was a good news network. How sad that you have to pay for it.

A professor I had in college said that for every hour of news on TV, there's 1 happy story. And they tease that story throttle hour to keep people watching. This was back in the late 80s when there were fewer news channels, no internet as we know it today. Now the news is thrown at us in so many ways it's hard to escape it. Even a lot of the celebrity news is bad/negative with stories of cheating, drugs, abuse and suicide.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    alcohol and kinky sex.
  • futureicon
    futureicon Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Shells918 wrote: »
    futureicon wrote: »

Wow, I actually got excited for a moment when I read there was a good news network. How sad that you have to pay for it.

A professor I had in college said that for every hour of news on TV, there's 1 happy story. And they tease that story throttle hour to keep people watching. This was back in the late 80s when there were fewer news channels, no internet as we know it today. Now the news is thrown at us in so many ways it's hard to escape it. Even a lot of the celebrity news is bad/negative with stories of cheating, drugs, abuse and suicide.

Actually, it looks like it might be free again.. Let the good news flow! http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/birthday-boy-buys-pizza-flood-victims-inspires-others/
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Realize what news is - propaganda to promote and advance a particular view. The world has not known a time of more peace. The only thing that has changed is the 24/7 news cycle which focuses on one tragedy to the next, moving on and never looking back.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I don't watch a whole lot of news...mainstream media is pretty much a joke. To boot, bad news and doom and gloom drive ratings...so that's what you hear and see and it makes it seem like there is no good in the world. Reality is that there is plenty of good in the world...I see it every day while I'm out there living my life...I tend to focus on that and just enjoying this short time we have hurling around space on this little blue ball and loving my family and friends.
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    How do you personally cope with the utterly tragic, disgusting, horrifying things that humans do to each other, to animals and to the planet?

I'd like to say I just don't read or watch News but I do, I must and it's deeply depressing. I don't know that I cope at all. I often just cry.

humankind in general have been are on my ignore/blocked list.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    A nice fat J....
  • _birdie__
    _birdie__ Posts: 308 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

there is usually some small bit of good in there you just have to look for it

like you hear about some suicide bombing and then you see people stepping up to help as best they can

• rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    I live my life in the way I think all should live. I have learned I cannot change others but always have room for my own personal growth and improvement. Each individual can make a difference.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    if you actually look the 'world' is 1000 x worse than it is allowed to appear

how do i deal with it? i dont drink at all or do hard drugs sooo i smoke weed once in a while

and then i watch cartoons and meditate
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I was active duty army for 20 years..... saw a lot of very sad things. The news is also depressing... SHOCK and AWE gets people watching. I just avoid the news and quickly scroll through the awful facebook posts when I see them. I try to live positive and give positive support when I can. You cannot fix everything but pick some things you can fix, fix them or improve them and make the world a better place where you can.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    the truth is good news does not get viewers. bad, dramatic, bleeding news does

so i avoid the news for the most part.

and i ask myself what can i do? and then i do it
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    How do you personally cope with the utterly tragic, disgusting, horrifying things that humans do to each other, to animals and to the planet?

I'd like to say I just don't read or watch News but I do, I must and it's deeply depressing. I don't know that I cope at all. I often just cry.

Free will is the gift and curse of humanity and people abuse it putting personal gain over sacrifice for others, however In my heart I believe there is way more good in the world than bad. Media seriously distorts our perceived balance and I don't ever watch news, or popular TV shows, and anything of the like. I have sworn off Facebook and the ilk until politics can be put away. I try to focus on the positives and try to accept all the things I cannot change around me.

While alcohol and kinky sex is always good, perspective feeds the soul and not just occupies the body.

Seriously...still up for alcohol and kinky sex.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I think about the wisdom of the Serenity Prayer:

God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, the courage to change the things we can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
  • sophia1984
    sophia1984 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    scorpjabo wrote: »
    Not to state the obvious but the media is driven by ratings and for some odd reason the majority of us cannot seem to get enough of the doom and gloom. There is just as much good, if not more going on out there then we will ever see on our nightly news.

very true. pay attention to the good things going on in this world. stay positive
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    To quote the late and great Billy Graham:

"Where is the hope?

I meet millions who tell me that they feel demoralized by the decay around us

Where is the hope?

The hope that each of us have is not in who governs us
    or what laws are passed
    or what great things we do as a nation

Our hope is in the power of God working through the hearts of people
    And that’s where our hope is in this country,and that’s where our hope is in this life"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C6b5i_ypdI