Must...keep...sanity

Shadowmf023
Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
edited August 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So I've bought a bunch of my favourites sweets. They are all in the cupboard. Cookies, mini ice creams (they are in the freezer though, lol), and 2 flavours of dark chocolate.

I've long wished to be one of those people who can moderate and just have a little dessert every day. I've tried my hand at this many times and end up binging on everything. It starts out well, because at the start I have the mindset that all foods are equal and there's no good/bad food.

And then those thoughts start creeping back in my head and it triggers a binge because of the forbidden fruit thing.

I really just need to keep in mind that it's just food, and its fine if it fits my macros. It's hard though because I'm such a forgetful person and generally don't pay a lot of attention. I really need to be vigilant in catching myself if I start thinking that way. Le sigh. 6th time may be the charm this time. :cookie:

Replies

• Shadowmf023
    I do pre-log the treats. Always have. But I do think I'll have to do a constant mental check.

Another thing I'm trying is setting an alarm. Since I'm forgetful alarms help me with a lot of things. I was thinking of setting an alarm for 7pm every night to have dessert. Not before not after. That way I can tell myself it's okay to have it, just later. I'm hoping this doesn't also trigger a restrictive mindset.

Any other suggestions are also welcome.
  • cpac91
    cpac91 Posts: 7 Member
    1. You are super not alone, I struggle with this.
    2. What helps me is thinking about the sugar spike I am asking my body to deal with- the increased risk of diabetes, the extra work on my organs, the feeling of high blood sugar (not a diabetic here)...
    3. Sugar is like cocaine. There are many studies that show brain activity between the two substances to look very similar! So, while allowing onesself a piece of chocolate is healthy ( because we ARE here on Earth to live after all) it is very hard not to eat the whole (insert dessert here).
    4. I recommend small quantities in the house at a time. So instead of a box of oreos, buy a six pack roll at the front of the store.
    5. Good luck to you!!
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    I have been having to learn how to function with my favorite goodies in the house over the past 6 weeks. My 4 year old doesn't need to lose weight (obviously) and neither does my husband. And they both deserve to have a treat now and then.

Right now, a bag of those little Reese's peanut butter cups is in my fridge. I've been known to mindlessly eat half a bag of those in one go. So I've been trying two things. The first is that I'm thinking of them as "not mine." We bought them so that my daughter could have one or two at the end of a day when she behaves herself very well.

And the second is that if I do indulge, I log them honestly. I can lie to my diary but I can't lie to my body so there's no point in lying to my diary. And seeing the calories add up with each one I eat really helps me stop at just a couple.
  • Shadowmf023
    cpac91 wrote: »
    2. What helps me is thinking about the sugar spike I am asking my body to deal with- the increased risk of diabetes, the extra work on my organs, the feeling of high blood sugar (not a diabetic here)...
    3. Sugar is like cocaine.

Yeah... This is exactly the kind of thinking that makes me binge.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I know people have learnt to moderate previous trigger foods. There's a lot of mental and practical work involved, so I wish you good luck. I have chosen not to bring (large amounts of) my trigger foods into the house, but then I don't care that much for them anymore, so I'm not interested in making an effort.
  • papple227
    papple227 Posts: 32 Member
    I do pre-log the treats. Always have. But I do think I'll have to do a constant mental check.

Another thing I'm trying is setting an alarm. Since I'm forgetful alarms help me with a lot of things. I was thinking of setting an alarm for 7pm every night to have dessert. Not before not after. That way I can tell myself it's okay to have it, just later. I'm hoping this doesn't also trigger a restrictive mindset.

Any other suggestions are also welcome.

I do something like that where I plan my dessert for after the kids go to sleep (that way I can 1.)eat in peace and 2.) throughly enjoy it). It personally helps me because I'll see it all day, but know I'll get to eat it later.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    If I know I can't moderate it (Kettle chips or popcorn anyone!?) it doesn't come into my kitchen. I buy a single serve when i want it.

There are things I can have in now, like ice cream, single serve cake bars and even single serve popcorn but I couldn't for a long time. Bigger bars of chocolate are only bought in singles when I have the calories to spare too. Because I'll just eat them all whether i want them or not.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    No need to have this much around. Just buy what you would like to have for a week and nothing more. If you finish them in one day, sucks for you. No sweets for a whole week. This will teach you! Or just buy things when you feel like having them.

Personally, I'm able to moderate most of the time, but I still prefer to just make a trip for a single serving of something I want instead of keeping stuff around that I may not even think about wanting if they weren't there. When I do want something, the act of going to buy it makes it a conscious process. Sometimes I just go "nah, too lazy" and lazy wins because I didn't want it enough to make the trip. If I don't want it enough, it's not worth the calories and they are better spent on more satiating foods.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I don't buy and keep things in my house that I know I can't eat in moderation.

X2
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member

This is me as well. It also means that if I want a treat like that, I've gotta get off my butt and walk to the store to buy it.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member

c955ab42032ee1e62e3a7f7a5ecf6a88.jpg
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    i don't get why anyone would put cookies, ice-cream …chips or any crap in their house. Of course you're going to tip toe into the kitchen at night and have a second or third. C'mon..who are you kidding? Not us. lol. If you want a treat .. buy it when you're out and eat is so you know you can't go back for seconds and log it..
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    edited August 2016
    So I've bought a bunch of my favourites sweets. They are all in the cupboard. Cookies, mini ice creams (they are in the freezer though, lol), and 2 flavours of dark chocolate.

I've long wished to be one of those people who can moderate and just have a little dessert every day. I've tried my hand at this many times and end up binging on everything. It starts out well, because at the start I have the mindset that all foods are equal and there's no good/bad food.

And then those thoughts start creeping back in my head and it triggers a binge because of the forbidden fruit thing.

I really just need to keep in mind that it's just food, and its fine if it fits my macros. It's hard though because I'm such a forgetful person and generally don't pay a lot of attention. I really need to be vigilant in catching myself if I start thinking that way. Le sigh. 6th time may be the charm this time. :cookie:

These are the reasons you should avoid bringing that much stuff into the house, regardless of mindset. You said you've failed at this over and over again, so why would you continue to do it? You're setting yourself up just to be let down again. I feel like you're possibly still buying all of these goodies because it's something you've always done out of habit, and it's hard to give up. I feel a little bit "sad", too, when I don't throw a box of honey buns or nutty bars in my cart the way I used to. It would be nothing for me to eat a half a box in one evening.

And also, it doesn't sound like you're mentally ready for this lifestyle change. You admit to not paying attention alot of the time, in general, but if it's something that is important to you, it will remain in your focus. I have the attention span of a puppy when it comes to some things, but with others (things that are important to me), I have laser focus.

Good luck.

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    i don't get why anyone would put cookies, ice-cream …chips or any crap in their house. Of course you're going to tip toe into the kitchen at night and have a second or third. C'mon..who are you kidding? Not us. lol. If you want a treat .. buy it when you're out and eat is so you know you can't go back for seconds and log it..

First of all, cookies, ice cream and chips ate delicious foods, not "crap". Many of us enjoy them and they work just fine in our healthy lives.

Now, to the OP: instead of buying a bunch of different types of treats, try picking one for the week. Psychologists tell us that variety encourages overindulgence; the cookies are less appealing on day 3.
  • afort001
    afort001 Posts: 45 Member
    I am just now ready to put little 100 calorie ice cream snickers bar.... Just to have at dinner time . So I'll see how I do