Struggling with this journey

Options
cschof18
cschof18 Posts: 34 Member
Hi Everyone,
I've posted something similar before and got a lot of "you must not really want it then" responses. I am respectfully asking that I don't get those here because I find it quite discouraging. The opposite of what I am trying to achieve here today. I am heavier than I have ever been. I lost weight once before and want to lose it so bad. I am constantly thinking about exercising and losing weight and have even gone a few times but just can't seem to get the drive and motivation to push myself. I honestly think I am addicted to food. I don't seem to have any boundaries and will eat whatever whenever. I buy healthy groceries and they go rotten almost every week cause all I do is eat out. Picking somewhere to eat isn't even special anymore because I go so often. I have gained over 100 pounds in the last year and am gaining at an astronomical rate. Averaging anywhere between 2-5 pounds a week. I have always been bigger but used to be fit. I used to be able to run, play sports and never had an issue doing anything. Now I find I get winded just bending over and when I go for a walk I have intense foot pain that is unbearable, I look in the mirror and don't recognize myself because my belly is so big.
Where do I go from here? How can I finally put my thoughts into actions and start to do this for real. My period has stopped and I am afraid that I can't have kids anymore because this. :( I need some motivation and inspiration to do this once and for all. Thanks for listening and anything you can offer as support would be so helpful. Thank you

Replies

• mpreston2013
    mpreston2013 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It starts with small steps. First, you need to make yourself your top priority. You need to learn to love yourself and forgive yourself, then start logging what you eat regardless of what it is you are eating and don't be ashamed of it, own it. Once you get into a habit of logging look for small changes that you can make. Its all about building momentum. When I go out to eat I try to eat vegetarian. I am often surprised at how good the food tastes and I save hundreds of calories. Remember you are trying to change your lifestyle to be the best you possible and you are the judge of what that looks like. Good Luck! I believe in you
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I was stuck in a rut gained 25lbs back. I kept snacking, or eating out a lot, and it felt like everyone was keeping me too busy all of the time.
    1. First thing I did to start back on the journey was tell everyone I was taking a certain amount of time for myself, they could come with me, or stay home, but I'm going.

2. I started lifting/walking again, not worrying about the diet yet (other than some protein shakes for healing

3. Then I started making meal plans (not diet meals just simple things I liked, but no second helpings or snacks larger than 1 handful.

4. Then I added a gallon of water a day.

5. Finally I started following this...
    Chicken breast, ground turkey, tilapia, shrimp, eggs, egg whites, oatmeal, brown rice, unsweetened berries broccoli, green beans, asparagus, sweet potatoes, butter squash, black eyed peas, bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, salad, protein shakes, gallon of water, robust seasoning rack, teriyaki sauce, and salsa.

Breakfast: Start the morning with 2 whole egg, and 1/2 a cup of egg white with a side of oatmeal (1/2 cup when raw) w/berries (add any veggies you may want) if you have some prepped turkey meat add around 2oz for an omelet. (If you're pressed for time just do oatmeal berries, and protein shake double scooped)

3 hours later: Protein shake double scooped

3 hours later-Lunch: 6oz Chicken, tilapia, turkey, or shrimp (no frying the meats). 1/2 cup brown rice, 1 cup any green veggies. (use the seasonings, teriyaki, or salsa be creative, you can also make use of the onion, and bell peppers here)

3 hours later: Protein shake double scooped.

3 hours later-Dinner: 6-12oz of Chicken, Round steak, or Pork chop (no frying the meats) 1 cup brown rice, 1 cup any green veggies, 6oz Sweet Potato (baked, or steamed) (You can replace the sweet potato with, Butter Squash, or black eyes peas.)

exercise at least an hour 6 days a week. Preferably an hour and a half.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I think you have to make up your mind to try to commit to watching what you eat first. Once you do that start with the foods you love to eat and look for lower calorie versions. For example I love pizza so I make a lower calorie version at home using Flat Out bread that 120 calories. There are lots of tips on this website.

Secondly just start walking 15 min a day for a week. Then add 15 min the next week. Before you know it you will be up to miles a day. Trust me I couldn't walk to my car without huffing and puffing and now I can walk 3 miles easily and I have a bad knee.

Third get 7-8hrs of sleep this keeps some of the hungries at bay. Use a melatonin or magnesium if you have to.

Fourth - these are the things that will help you stay full fiber (veggies and fruit), full fat, protein and water.

You can do this!
  • shawnele
    shawnele Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I agree with others about the value of making small changes. I have the type of personality that thinks if I can't go all in right now, I might as well wait until I can. That's not always true. "Now" is always a good time to do what you can. Remember, it gets easier (even enjoyable, usually) with time!

Also, you said something (" I am constantly thinking about exercising and losing weight and have even gone a few times but just can't seem to get the drive and motivation to push myself.") that made me think of this meme I saw today because sometimes the motivation just ISN'T there and we have to rely on perseverance. You can do this!

9c52bvpo1rl8.jpg

(I know nothing about Pfit...never heard of it before...and I also don't know how to make the image smaller. Sorry!)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is about lack of drive and motivation at all. No amount of wanting to lose weight can make you lose weight. I think it's about habits and expectations and what you consider "normal". As you are saying, eating out has become so ordinary that you don't even enjoy it anymore. It's time to find something you enjoy that doesn't hurt you.

I don't think food addiction is a thing. But you have to get in some boundaries. Boundaries don't have to feel restrictive, they can be liberating. Plan your meals before you head to the store. Pick out recipes for meals you want to make AND want to eat. Write down what you need to buy, and buy that, all of it, and nothing else. Cook, eat and enjoy. Hit your calorie goal every day. Rinse and repeat.
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Perhaps there's possibly an emotional reason behind food/eating issues? To really be able to lose and keep off the weight the issues should be addressed - there's counseling, therapy, groups that can really help with that. Being healthy is about more than just diet & exercise.

And maybe start with manageable baby steps, like not worrying about formal exercise right now (unless you like it or you have a particular activity you enjoy doing) & focus on the food first. Don't buy foods you probably won't eat just because they're "healthy". Still continue to eat out but make some lower calorie (or lower carb or higher fat, whatever eating plan you choose) choices. And don't expect perfection, especially from the get-go - be reasonable with yourself and celebrate the small accomplishments without jumping to feelings of failure over a "dang I screwed up" moment.

Good luck
  • mnvicke
    mnvicke Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Log everything you eat. Even if you eat at a drive-through, log it. If you pull over for a dead armadillo, and eat it, log it. Log everything.

I lost it at eating the dead armadillo!!! :lol: But, good point, too!
  • mnvicke
    mnvicke Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    cschof18 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,
    I've posted something similar before and got a lot of "you must not really want it then" responses. I am respectfully asking that I don't get those here because I find it quite discouraging. The opposite of what I am trying to achieve here today. I am heavier than I have ever been. I lost weight once before and want to lose it so bad. I am constantly thinking about exercising and losing weight and have even gone a few times but just can't seem to get the drive and motivation to push myself. I honestly think I am addicted to food. I don't seem to have any boundaries and will eat whatever whenever. I buy healthy groceries and they go rotten almost every week cause all I do is eat out. Picking somewhere to eat isn't even special anymore because I go so often. I have gained over 100 pounds in the last year and am gaining at an astronomical rate. Averaging anywhere between 2-5 pounds a week. I have always been bigger but used to be fit. I used to be able to run, play sports and never had an issue doing anything. Now I find I get winded just bending over and when I go for a walk I have intense foot pain that is unbearable, I look in the mirror and don't recognize myself because my belly is so big.
    Where do I go from here? How can I finally put my thoughts into actions and start to do this for real. My period has stopped and I am afraid that I can't have kids anymore because this. :( I need some motivation and inspiration to do this once and for all. Thanks for listening and anything you can offer as support would be so helpful. Thank you

I think a lot of us have probably been in the situation where we WANT to lose weight, but we don't feel driven or motivated to taking the steps to lose the weight. I know personally, I was really big into "I'll start tomorrow," or "Monday, I'll start." That day would roll around, and I might try for a day and then stop the next day. Back to "Well, I messed up this week. I'll start again next Monday."

Perhaps it might help you to start looking at things in a different way. Sort of a re-conditioning of your thought patterns. Before you eat unhealthy foods, be it at home, a restaurant, or on the go, think about the reasons you want to be healthier (for example, the things I made bold in your OP). It may help put things into perspective for you. If having children is your motivation - I know it's one of mine - think of it like this: "Is eating this going to help me be healthy? If not, is it more important than having a baby?" That's not to say that slipping up once in a while is going to destroy all chances at achieving your goals. Of course not! But, it might help you get into a better mindset and be able to find the motivation within yourself to do what you feel you need to do to become the best version of yourself.

Whatever path you feel helps you the most, I wish you the very best!
  • liluleecee
    liluleecee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Keep on keeping on one foot in front of the other! Let me tell you I 100% believe much of being over weight for many has to do with medical conditions that lead to the weight gain. Often missed or not diagnosed. Thyroid. Prediabetese. Celiac. Vit deficiencies. Polycystic disease. So I urge you to investigate with a doctor if you haven't yet.
  • Littlemissyfit
    Littlemissyfit Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    The first step is deciding you want to change. Just one year ago, I was the biggest I had ever been. I spend a lot of time crying because I hated how I looked, how I felt. I decided to give it my all. I started walking every day for 20 minutes. Eating healthy... And I mean no junk whatsoever. I absolutely wouldn't give I. To my junk food cravings. After just one month, I had lost 10lbs! So I kept going... I moved on to interval walking/running. By the time three months had passed, I had lost 30lbs! At this point, I was completely addicted to running. I have now lost 51lbs in total. I run every day for 60 or more minutes. I do circuit training, yoga and weight lifting. The point of my story... You CAN do this. Habits are so easy to form. Its just part of my life now. I'm gonna add you as a friend. I will try to help you through your tough times, while making you hopefully laugh along the way. You've got this sweetie...