What are your carb/fat/protein percentages?

Options
Hi all, Just wondering what is working for you? Do you stick to MFP's recommendations or do you input your own? Do you feel like MFP's carb level is too high? Do you do 1g or protein per 1 pound of lean muscle mass? What is your formula?

Replies

• OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in the answers to this too. I actually posted a similar question to my MFP friends this week.

I changed my distribution for the third time. It is now:
    Carb 45%
    Protein 30%
    Fat 25%

I really don't know if that's good or bad. Originally MFP had my carb at 55% and it seemed too high. I'm going to try out this new distribution and see if it helps with the weight loss any.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    40,40,20 Protein, Carbs, Fat
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    This is what I used to do and will be doing again:

Calories around: 1200
    Fat around: 30
    Carbs around: 50
    Protein around: 85

There is no real reason to the numbers, I try to mainly keep my fat and carbs low :happy:
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Mine are 15,45,40, carbs protein fat
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I believe a lot of people here on MFP set their protein way too high. I keep my percentages where MFP set them. I am considering changing slightly to 50/15/35 to see how I feel.
  • JoshuaHansford
    Options
    My daily goal is 40% protein, 40% carb, 20% fat

I try to keep each meal as close as possible to those percentages as well. Most days I come up a little short on carbs and go a little over on fat.

This mix seems to work the best for me as far as ensuring I don't get hungry throughout the day and still having enough energy for intense workouts.

That being said, I think I have to change it up every now and then so that I don't plateau. I eat whatever I want one day a week which seems to reset the metabolic switch for me.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Mine are 10% carbs; 25% protein; 65% fat. At 1700 calories (I'm now 5'2" and 113.6lbs and not 'skinny-fat') that is 43g of carbs; 106g of protein; 123g of fat.

But this changes daily (I don't keep track of calories and fat; only carb grams and protein grams) since my energy needs change daily.
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    40,35,25 Protein, Carbs, Fat I was going over on protein every day, so just adjusted it a bit.
  • PhilBlock
    PhilBlock Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    40/40/20 is great if you can maintain it. Those %'s are VERY hard to attain. I use a 50% carbs 25% protein/fat combo and it helps keep my energy levels high and helps to maintain the needs of my body/fitness program. It's not just about the %'s tho. It's about what you eat and when you eat it. Fats are necessarily bad, if they are the good ones. the key is to make sure that you aren't eating too much bad fats and carbs. Those get stored as fat in the body if unused. Even staying bat 20% fats can be VERY difficult. I found by increasing my fat intake to 25% I actually LOST more body fat since my body didn't think it was in starvation mode and let go of more stores.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    50% carbs
    30% protein
    20% fat
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    25/35/40 - c/p/f

Pretty easy to maintain, actually.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    45/40/15-P/C/F
  • WattsJA
    WattsJA Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    40% Protein / 35% Carbs / 25% Fat
  • PhilBlock
    PhilBlock Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi all, Just wondering what is working for you? Do you stick to MFP's recommendations or do you input your own? Do you feel like MFP's carb level is too high? Do you do 1g or protein per 1 pound of lean muscle mass? What is your formula?

If you're looking to build muscle you'll need 1.5-2g of protein per lean body weight( total weight - fat weight). 1g is good for maintaining while losing fat. Unless you're grossly overweight. In which case the actual breakdowns aren't quite as inportant until you get closer to your ideal weight.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Carbs 20
    Fat 50
    Protein 30
    MVP has me on 1200 calories which is plenty as most days I eat less; before you freak, note I don't go hungry. If I want something to eat, I eat and it's a healthy choice. Diary is open.

Note what works for one person may not be appropriate for another; I don't have anything approaching highly demanding physical activity. When I spend an afternoon hauling firewood, let me tell you, I'll eat way more than 1200 calories :-)
  • LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Carbs 25% Protein 45% Fat 30%
  • spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Mine are Carbs 15%, Protein 30%, Fat 55% My sister got me started on semi-primal and all I can say is... it works for me!
    Her doctor was concerned about the percentages but when he ran lab work 6 months later, all of her numbers had come down into a healthy range, he was shocked!
    If I ate all the carbs mfp says I should, I would blow up like a balloon! In fact, if I eat over 64g of carbs in a day my feet swell and I gain weight literally overnight.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Well, unless my math is incorrect, I am WAY different than most here. I am utilizing a whole foods/plant-based low-fat diet. I am really loving it. Since I switched over to this lifestyle 3 weeks ago, my metabolism has sped up and my rate of weight loss has more than doubled. I am no longer hungry and I eat a LOT. I have read the science and I don't believe carbs are bad for you and we don't need as much protein and fat as many think.

Lately my ratios have been,

carbs 75
    fat 10
    protein 15

But rarely does my fat intake reach 10%.
  • sportsjunkee70
    sportsjunkee70 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    50% protein, 35% carbs, 15% fat
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    After watching the documentary "FATHEAD" I restarted a low carb diet. My ratio is 70/25/5 (F/P/C).