I need some suggestions! :(

Options
So....hubby got laid off!!! He had a great job that he loved and the week before Halloween he was told that they are shutting down the office in our town! Since Halloween he has been jobless....He's been applying any and everywhere! Unfortunaltely we don't have any money in savings so we are starting to struggle already!

My question is.....Do any of you know anything him or myself could do from home to make a few bucks??? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

This is really hard for us because we have a 3 and 4 year old and we haven't done ANY Christmas shopping or winter clothes shopping!!! As of right now, we can't get them anything!

Not trying to get anyone to feel sorry...just need a finger to point me in the right direction!

Thanks,
Kristal

Replies

• KBagwell
    Options
    So....hubby got laid off!!! He had a great job that he loved and the week before Halloween he was told that they are shutting down the office in our town! Since Halloween he has been jobless....He's been applying any and everywhere! Unfortunaltely we don't have any money in savings so we are starting to struggle already!

My question is.....Do any of you know anything him or myself could do from home to make a few bucks??? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

This is really hard for us because we have a 3 and 4 year old and we haven't done ANY Christmas shopping or winter clothes shopping!!! As of right now, we can't get them anything!

Not trying to get anyone to feel sorry...just need a finger to point me in the right direction!

Thanks,
    Kristal
  • yesIcan
    yesIcan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you live or if there are any around you but I work at a contract research organization that does phase 1 clinical trials for pharmaceuticals. Just by volunteering your time, usually two weekends (and some blood) they compensate you $1400 and up. I meet a lot of people doing these studies who are in between jobs, and a lot of people who even have full time jobs just looking for something extra to supplement their income. Just a suggestion. Most pharmaceutical companies do them, for ex. www.pharmamedica.com or www.anapharm.com
    The only real criteria is you have to be healthy.
    Good luck!
  • samster85
    Options
    Hey, I kind of know how you feel. I am living at home while i try to find a job and my mom is either getting cut to half or completely. I am not sure what you can do to make a few dollars but I do know of some cheap ways to stay warm. In my family we make rice bags. You can use a towel, a blanket any material that is sturdy enough. You get some rice and fill them. once the bag is complete you can put it in the microwave for about 4 min and it heats up your bed in no time. they also work in the freezer. Bean bags would be good presents for the kids. lima beans in any type of material. this is of course if you can sew. unlike me who can't sew worth a darn you may have some talent in that area. I hope you can make it through these tough times.

PS there is also temp agencies you may be able to try. I don't know what State you are in but in MI there are some different ones like CareerQuest and that that you can visit. they usually pay $8.25 an hour or so.
  • KBagwell
    Options
    Yesican...thats a GREAT idea...Ive never heard of that before but I looked on their websites and NOTHING even close to me! :(

Great info though, maybe someone else can use it!
  • Periphria
    Options
    I have an in-home daycare, which allows me to be home with the children and make money too. Look into the regulations in your area and then post some posters and get started. Everywhere needs more child care.

Good Luck
  • christymt
    Options
    I don't have any suggestions, but I must say you are not alone. Just tonight I was talking to my neighbor who was laid off Tues, for the second time...

I don't know if you are apart of a church, but most churches you are members of have programs for people who need some assistance while trying to get back on their feet.

Good luck, and God bless.
    Christy
  • kelhun1
    kelhun1 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Not so much a suggestion for work, but as to how you can get "new" toys and clothes for Christmas. Check online and see if there is a Freecycle group in your area. I belong to one here (Cincinnati) and it's kind of like Craig's List, but everyone is giving their things away. All you have to do is list what you need (or what you want to give away) and then if the "giver" chooses you--you set up a time to pick it up. I have given away toys and clothes that were literally brand new.

By the way, what does your husband do? I will try to think on job ideas next. Best of luck. You and your family are in my prayers.
  • KBagwell
    Options
    Yea, I'm a part of Freecycle but where I live...there isn't much giving away!

Hubby just got out of the Army Sept 2007, served 5 years, has an Honorable Discharge as a SGT. There is no way for him to get back in because he is a Disabled Vet. He has 6 months Satellite installation experience and 2 months experience driving an armoured truck and being accountable for over $2 million!! Other than that, he has nothing else....no further schooling other than High School! :(
  • EvilPIB
    EvilPIB Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. When I got out of the Air Force I struggle for a close to one year. I'm also a disable veteran but I found that the VA has alot of resources they don't always advertise. Has your hubby tried that route yet? There are so many organization open to Vet's that assist with rent & mortage payments, money for food, clothing, utilitity bills, etc. I speak from experience because I received assistance from the Soliders, Saliors & Marines fund for 3 years in a row. They only provide assistance once a year but they do help. There's help out there but it isn't always easy to find.

Best of luck
  • yesIcan
    yesIcan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yesican...thats a GREAT idea...Ive never heard of that before but I looked on their websites and NOTHING even close to me! :(

Great info though, maybe someone else can use it!

The sites i posted were just an example. You can try to google phase 1 clinical trials to find something near you.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Has he already applied for unemployment benefits?
    (Is that a naive question? It is available in every state, isn't it?)
    Options
    Have you thought of selling your unwanted items on Ebay. My husband did that for over 5 years and didnt do o bad at it. Or what about a yard sale. Now I know this would only be temp. but what about taling to some people at walmart and getting hired on partime. if you work at walmart you do get a discount card also which does help out a great deal. And if I am not mistaken you can also claim some of your unemployment benifits at the same time also.
  • KBagwell
    Options
    I have already had a yardsale...and I have sold some things on Ebay. I don't have anything else that can be sold! :( Hubby's cousin offered for him to work part time helping him out with his business in the electrical field. The pay ISN'T great but I guess it'll help some. I have literally been applying to about 10-15 jobs a day with no response! Any other ideas for me??
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    I'll keep you in my prayers:flowerforyou: I feel your pain (well sort of, we don't have any kids to support) but my fiance's getting laid off Dec. 19th. We found out over a month ago and he's been looking for jobs on his days off and so far no luck. We're already struggling with both incomes so it's gonna be really tough without his(unemployment just doesn't cut it). :brokenheart: :cry: So we're worried about losing the house and getting behind on a lot of bills. Not sure if any of this will help but here are some of the things I've been working on to lower expenses and bills and get a little extra income(maybe it'll give ya some ideas):

First we combined our cell phone bills onto the family share plan (saves us about $100/month)
    We consolidated our credit card bills (lowering total payment by $75)
    We lowered our DirecTv package (only paying $50/mo as opposed to $90)
    Instead of having heat on 72 we cut it down to 69 and its still comfy (I wear pajama pants to bed instead of shorts...but still comfy) That has lowered the gas bill by about $15-20 (not alot but it all adds up)
    Followed the old rule of if it's yellow let it mellow (of course there has to be a time limit on that :laugh: ) if it's brown flush it down:laugh: :wink:
    Make sure you're turning lights off if your not in a room,unplug cell phone chargers when not in use, unplug other items that use up electricity when they're not in use.
    Called our car insurance to check and see if there were things we could remove from the policy to save money (there were a few we chose to do without for the time being)
    Put a forbearance on my student loans until next Sept (can start paying again before then but just in case things get bad we're excused from the payments until then and it won't damage our credit)
    We haven't done this yet but you could check into refinancing vehicle loans/mortgage loans to see if you can save there

Now...........here are some things we're doing for extra cash:
    We rented a room out in our house to my fiance's brother for $400/month more income

I am doing some accounting and bill paying for one of my ownere operators (truck driver that owns his own truck....they don't get home much so sometimes they will pay someone to take care of their business for them) $100/wk + pays internet bill

I'm checking into medical billing online...my friend does that from her house and makes pretty decent money. I don't have much info on it yet but she said she does well. So I plan to look into that.

Check with restaurants, bars, diners see if they need weekend help (even if it's washing dishes money's money:drinker: )

Check to see if the mall is looking for any holiday help (same with stores such as Walmart, Target, K-mart and any store really....alot of stores pay outside help to take inventory and help through the holidays)

Babysit

walk neighborhood dogs

Start a daycare (as mentioned above)

If it were summer I would say offer to mow neighbors lawns

Clean houses for people (post a sign on telephone poles)

Check with offices nearby...see if they are looking for someone to clean their offices for them.

Offer to run errands for people.

And if I think of more I'll add em as I go. It helps me think of our situation too. Best wishes to you...keep your head up :flowerforyou: And keep the faith...pray pray and pray some more :flowerforyou:
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I know this isnt a solution for long term but what about checking with UPS they usually hire near the holidays for extra delivery and truck loading people... (ok I dont know the technical term)
    I will keep you in my prayers
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I know this isnt a solution for long term but what about checking with UPS they usually hire near the holidays for extra delivery and truck loading people... (ok I dont know the technical term)
    I will keep you in my prayers

Runners.
    They hire for an extra person who runs off the truck with the package, drops it at the door, runs back to the truck. This saves time for the driver.
    I had forgotten about that. Knew a guy once who did that for a season.
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thanks I knew they had a name for them :) I know that on some Military Bases the postal service will hire people to do that as well.
    Good Luck
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    There's some free websits like sittercity.com to where you sign up and look for local families around you that are looking for sitters and or nannies. Also nannies4hire.com
    Also if you look around there are some for secret shoppers where you go shopping or call day care centers and see if they are doing everything the way they are suppose to. Just make sure it's a good company to work with there are some that are iffy. The pay is different and usually send a check at the end of the month. I did it for awhile. It helped.
    I'll try to think of more. I need some ideas for myself as well:smile:

-Adrienne:heart:
  • Wizeman22
    Wizeman22 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Add me
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    Wizeman22 wrote: »
    Add me

You do know it's been 8 years right?

Bumping ancient threads seems to be his shtick.