Need to lose belly fat

Options
2»

Replies

• RelevantGains
    RelevantGains Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Just to give you an idea, I'm 5'11", currently at a little under 160, and I'm losing weight consistently at 2000 calories. So 1600-1700 calories still should give you a good rate of weight loss.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8", 65 years old, lift, row and exercise 5-6 days a week & am maintaining at 170-175# on an ave of 2000-2200 net cals/day, even though my TDEE is estimated at 2400.

This is after I lost over 20lbs down from 196 in 3 months on an ave of 1600-1800 net cals a day doing roughly the same amount of physical activity, which was close to my estimated BMR at 1800. On 1300 cals a day, I would have been just skin and bones in no time.
  • nickisa28
    nickisa28 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Another thought is looking into whether your belly fat might actually be bloat. My father was a very lean 6 foot tall man of 165, but his "belly fat" turned out to be Celiac related belly bloat. Within a month of diagnosis, his life long resistant "belly fat" disappeared completely. And seriously, at 18 it is not uncommon for guys to be ravenous as you are still growing, so please be sure to feed your body.

This was kinda my issue too....I found out I was gluten intolerant. I lost 3 inches off my waist after 10 days of not eating gluten. Also, are you eating right foods? Cut down on sugar, up the protien and fat. I've got down to my target weight and still not happy with my belly so I'm just continuing with the weight loss at a slower rate and doing lots of strength training. So I agree with the others. Up your calories, eat back half your exercise calories and strength train.
  • Paddyboy09
    Paddyboy09 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    nickisa28 wrote: »
    Another thought is looking into whether your belly fat might actually be bloat. My father was a very lean 6 foot tall man of 165, but his "belly fat" turned out to be Celiac related belly bloat. Within a month of diagnosis, his life long resistant "belly fat" disappeared completely. And seriously, at 18 it is not uncommon for guys to be ravenous as you are still growing, so please be sure to feed your body.

This was kinda my issue too....I found out I was gluten intolerant. I lost 3 inches off my waist after 10 days of not eating gluten. Also, are you eating right foods? Cut down on sugar, up the protien and fat. I've got down to my target weight and still not happy with my belly so I'm just continuing with the weight loss at a slower rate and doing lots of strength training. So I agree with the others. Up your calories, eat back half your exercise calories and strength train.

Ive stopped drinking fizzy drinks and i try to keep my sugar low, I eat around 150grams of protein, 40 grams of fat and 100 grams of carbs
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    This gives me the sadz. At your ht/wt/age you should be looking at a recomp to more efficiently lower your BF%, not cutting at a ridiculously low number. You may lose weight, but you'll just be a smaller version of yourself due to the LBM you're sacrificing.

I'm 3 inches shorter than you and hit the best shape of my life at 172-174.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I have this one weird old tip...

No I don't
    If you're already at a healthy BMI, stop trying to lose weight. Your obsession with "belly fat" seems pretty unhealthy. If you are not happy with your belly you would be better to work on your muscles, and that involves eating more than 1300cal.

You're getting very consistent advice here, I would seriously consider taking it.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Let me say this in a way that might appeal to you. You are not going to have a hard looking firm looking stomach from continuing to eat 1300 calories a day. Firmness, trimness, fitness comes from muscle and you aren't going to have muscle eating like that.

Stop eating like that, eat twice as much and start lifting weights. That is how you are going to get rid of that "belly fat" by building a foundation of muscle so that when you are at a low percent bodyfat from cutting your stomach will look flat. If you don't have that foundation and you try to cut as hard as you are now you are just going to basically shrink but look almost the same...that flat toned look comes from muscle and to put on muscle you need to feed yourself.

If you seriously cannot break yourself away from eating 1300 calories a day then you honestly need to seek professional help from a doctor because that is an eating disorder not a diet for your health.

I might sound harsh but trust me I am saying this out of concern and really you need to start thinking of your health and the "belly fat" will take care of itself when you get yourself more fit from proper nutrition and a healthy amount of calories to complement your exercise.