Eating out

Options
how often do you go out for dinner where do u go and can you still lose weight

Replies

• Damien_K
    Damien_K Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    4 times and pretty much go anywhere, and yes you can still lose weight as long as you remain in a caloric deficit.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    when i want and eat what i want - i track it and move on.
  • RelevantGains
    RelevantGains Posts: 83 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I eat out pretty much every meal, every day.

I'm losing 1-2 pounds per week.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I eat out very rarely now, but just because I discovered my love of cooking. Eating out shouldn't hinder weight loss, but you'll still need to watch your portions and eat the right amount.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I eat out once a week (Greek last week, sushi the week before, Indian the week before that) and I've lost 100 pounds. I plan for it every week and make the math work. Keeps me sane.

I should probably add that I average my calories over the entire week versus having the exact same calorie goal/limit daily.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Almost never. Too expensive and if they do have the calorie count listed it's usually wrong. My job brings in these food trucks and I am just gaping at the crazy prices they charge for a greasy sandwich and a handful of fries.... are you kidding me? I can go to the grocery store and get good lean bison meat for that price, enough for 4 servings.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I eat out pretty much every meal, every day.

I'm losing 1-2 pounds per week.

Im not sure grabbing protein shakes and bars counts as eating out every meal.

I eat out about once a month and I do log it. It tends to be when I have a day off work and that always means that I have had a longer run that day any way. If they don't have nutritional info I just choose a like for like from the database and add 1.2 servings to over shoot it a little.
  • nickisa28
    nickisa28 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I eat out about 3 times a week. Normally breakfasts with my mum at a 'greasy cafe'. Not sure if you have them in US but they are normally mainly open for breakfast and do a traditional English fry up-hence the greasy! :( I'll have my usual egg and bacon as I know they are cooked in a frying pan rather than a deep fat fryer. I'll sometimes take my kids to fast food place or wimpy (it's like Wendy's or Denny's for US guys) but will account for it in calories and be really good the rest of the day. Then as a family we'll eat out once a week. I'll normally go for steak if I can and swap the fries for veg or salad. 'Family day' is normally also my cheat day so i may have a dessert. Still losing with all this :)
  • AlabamaMama224
    AlabamaMama224 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Very rarely for a few reasons. We're a family of five, so it can be pricey. Also we are vegan and there are very few restaurants I trust not to mess up our order. We order in about once a month from a local Asian restaurant. Good thing I love to cook.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont so much anymore, just because my income has decreased, but i lost most of my weight eating out several times a week.

the key is to plan for it, and in my case, I would get in an extra work out and/or cut calories on a day i wasn't eating out to compensate for it.

But i ate wherever i wanted and whatever i felt like - chinese, mexican, italian, burgers, pizza.... whatever. just make room for it in your calorie goals.
  • Harleyb87
    Harleyb87 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    You can still lose weight you just have to choose your meals wisely. For instance Wendys I get a small chilli and a side salad with a low cal dressing (around 350 calories) . Long Horn I get the grilled salmon with broccoli (350 calories for the meal). Chic Fil A I get grilled nuggets and chicken noodle soup (300 calories). You usually have a healthy option you just cant give into the other food on the menu.
  • louise5779
    louise5779 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I think we all understand you can still eat out and lose weight I think was the OP is saying is how under realistic most menus are. For example in the past I would going out and have a starter, main and pudding. But when you follow a calories restricted diet not even restricted but eaten to a maintence level I found that most main meals contained more then my daily allowance let alone having a drink or starter and pudding. You can't follow the pattern of normal eaten out.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    louise5779 wrote: »
    I think we all understand you can still eat out and lose weight I think was the OP is saying is how under realistic most menus are. For example in the past I would going out and have a starter, main and pudding. But when you follow a calories restricted diet not even restricted but eaten to a maintence level I found that most main meals contained more then my daily allowance let alone having a drink or starter and pudding. You can't follow the pattern of normal eaten out.

I'm not sure how you got all that from her initial post of "how often do you go out for dinner where do u go and can you still lose weight".
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP I go out for lunch with colleagues about once a week, to Qdoba, Panera, or a wrap place near the office. I go out to eat with my family on the weekends for Mexican, pizza, or Italian. About once a month I have a nice dinner with girl friends or with my husband.

I was able to lose weight while still eating at restaurants and am now maintaining. I found that planning what I wanted to eat was extremely helpful, looking at menus ahead of time to see how it might fit into my calorie allotment. That enables me to prioritize the foods I want at the restaurant, work some extra exercise in that day, and I often bank calories through the week for a more indulgent meal or event on the weekend.
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    cnjg420 wrote: »
    how often do you go out for dinner where do u go and can you still lose weight

I used to eat out twice daily, and that was just part of my fat guy life.
    y4q83wwinpos.jpg

No more of this!

We go out once or twice in a month, and when I go out, it's to have fun and enjoy the evening - not diet and worry about calories.
    I'm not pay good money to eat lousy and deny myself something fabulous. To reach my health and fitness goals, I eat whole foods mostly day after day, so it's a treat to dine where the experience is worry free and special.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Once a week or so but yeah, those are typically the days when I end up over.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    We go out whenever it fits the budget. I eat low carb spots pretty easy to find something that fits my carb budget (and once the majority of the carbs are taken out of the equation, the total calories tend to drop enough to fit my calorie budget). I just realized how much I like the word budget. Budget. Bud...get...
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I eat out two or three times a week, one of those meals is always Chick-fil-A. I still lose around 2lbs/week, because I eat less the rest of the day so I can have a big burger and fries.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,975 Member
    Options
    I usually go out once or twice a week, sometimes fast food sometimes not. Some weeks I go out more depending in how busy I am. I didn't have any trouble losing weight doing this. Just stick to your calorie goal and you'll be fine.