Maintenance with Overweight Spouse

Options
I am in maintenance and have a loving partner who eats junk (major sweet tooth) most of time and binges at night. We watched a documentary on processed sugar, its addictive properties, how it makes you hungry, how it impaires your thinking and other adverse physical affects both long and short term.

Nothing really changed much or very long. For a while he switched from ice cream to fruit yogurt (just as much sugar.

I want to be successful at maintaining. I know my main trigger food and he graciously agrees not to keep more than 1 serving of it for himself to enjoy in the house.

Still, long term what is it like to continue prioritizing nutrition, while being with someone who eats lots of processed food and sugary drinks with little nutritional value?

Does anyone have experiences they can share, positive, negative or mixed? Advice is welcome.

I joined a couple of whole foods and plant based groups on meetup for support and camaraderie of others who are maintaining their health through nutritious eating. I hope it will help to have a peer group.

Replies

• BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The best peer group you can have is a pair of spouses. I don't think you should try to change him; he has to "let" you change him, which means he has to want to change.

I'm guessing you've had a serious talk with him about it (if not, you should). But you should request that he cut back on sugary stuff a bit, or at least try not to eat it around you. If he has a serious health and/or weight problem, use health as the focal point for asking him to eat healthier. If you're doing most of the cooking, cook healthy food. If you do most of the grocery shopping, then you have control over what's in the fridge and pantry; use that to your advantage!
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    Abm4n wrote: »
    It's not easy to do it with a partner who is not "on board" and doesn't want to eat a more healthy diet. That's not to say it is impossible, just more difficult.

This ^. You two seem to be able to discuss the situation without acrimony which is great. But, you can't change him so don't waste precious energy trying to. Just keep being the good example you are to him and your kids. I would limit the kids bringing home junk food. You're the boss of them, and you can set limits on that.

You're smart in joining some supportive groups. My pals on MFP keep me going. Friends and family can be, well, less than helpful... (no major revelation there, :D ) So get support where ever you can.

Congratulations on reaching your goal! Take pride in that and let it motivate you to keep going in spite of the roadblocks you are facing. You can do it. You ARE doing it! Good for you!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    My husband and I started MFP at the same time 4 years ago. I lost 40 pounds and have maintained. He's lost 5 of the 50 he needs to. I have found lots of good food I like to eat that isn't calorie intense. I eat anything I want, just in small helpings. It's been good for him to have me maintain. He knows what he has to do, he just hasn't done it yet.

We both walk together - he exercises more than me actually, because he teaches tai chi. But I've learned to drink water and have smaller helpings when we hang out together watching movies. It's been okay.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Can't make someone want something they do not want! So best advice stop trying, and take care of you! Either the spouse will catch on after seeing results or will just simply stay the way they are.

I think this is challenging and frustrating but a person has to take care of themselves when you get right down to it. You live in your skin and they live in theirs. In this case there is not a "we" there is a "me", so take care of "me"!