Borderline diabetic

Options
feeferb
feeferb Posts: 16 Member
edited August 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So got some routine lab work at annual exam and my fasting blood sugar was high...further testing said I was in normal range. BUT huge wake up call. Family history and other factors indicate diabetes is in my future. Up to me to decide how far in the future. Need help with diet ideas that keep carbs moderate and protein high...BUT low in calorie. It's a struggle but certainly have motivation to get of my butt now. Need encouragement.

Replies

• medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Well luckily you've caught it early enough that it should be 100% avoidable/reversible. With that being said you have to do a little bit of learning about food composition.

Each gram of carbs is 4 calories, protein 4 calories, and fat 9 calories.
    So it really kind of matters WHAT you're eating. It's amazing how much food has tons of added sugar, and that would be a good place to start looking to cut things out. If you start eating real foods (like the kind you have to cook yourself) as opposed to meals in a box, that alone could be enough to make a difference.

Protein intake is easy: Meat, beans, nuts,etc
    Carbs are also relatively easy, if you avoid sugars and very starchy things.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I found the book, Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution to be a great guide. He shows how to reduces carbs, and to a lesser extent protein, because both will raise insulin needs - not good for any type of diabetic. As a general rule, fat is the best basis for a diet to correct high blood glucose associated with diabetes.
  • IcanIwill1
    IcanIwill1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I found the book, Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution to be a great guide. He shows how to reduces carbs, and to a lesser extent protein, because both will raise insulin needs - not good for any type of diabetic. As a general rule, fat is the best basis for a diet to correct high blood glucose associated with diabetes.
    When I stumbled upon the fact that carbs whether complex or not make me hungry, and being a person who is well grounded in the science of food and its metabolic dynamics in the body...I relied on Dr Bernstein's book to understand how to get round the whole 'carb-is-my-problem' thing.
    Years of low fat dieting has meant that I can't quite wrap my head round the 'fat-is-ok' ethos he espouses.
    So I look upon my resistance to that piece of information as me being a work in progress
    That said, getting 90% of my carbs from leafy greens and cruciferous veggies has meant that for the first time in my life, I can have a reasonable expectation of being a healthy weight...and that in of itself is a miracle.
    Its amazing what you can do with a lot of vegetables when you put your mind to it.

• biggafadda
    biggafadda Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm Type 2 diabetic. When you lower carbs, you just replace it with protein and fat. They make up your calorie totals as medic2038 explained. Protein and fat make you fuller longer, so lowering the calories isn't that much of a struggle. Getting used to eating foods that we have been told were "unhealthy" for years seems to be the biggest hurdle. (Butter, Eggs, Red Meat, Bacon, etc..) Also, they cost more. Eat starches and sweets in moderation. You can do it!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    IcanIwill1 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    When I stumbled upon the fact that carbs whether complex or not make me hungry, and being a person who is well grounded in the science of food and its metabolic dynamics in the body...I relied on Dr Bernstein's book to understand how to get round the whole 'carb-is-my-problem' thing.
    Years of low fat dieting has meant that I can't quite wrap my head round the 'fat-is-ok' ethos he espouses.
    So I look upon my resistance to that piece of information as me being a work in progress
    That said, getting 90% of my carbs from leafy greens and cruciferous veggies has meant that for the first time in my life, I can have a reasonable expectation of being a healthy weight...and that in of itself is a miracle.
    Its amazing what you can do with a lot of vegetables when you put your mind to it.

I took me a while to get used to higher fat too. It's quite a switch. LOL
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hi! Long time diabetic type 2 now in remission from significant weight loss. I am very conservative when it comes to weight loss and I've never done anything more adventurous than the Canada Food Guide.

When I got my wake-up call, head buzzing with the pep talk I got from the doctor, I wandered in to a little Greek restaurant and saw a combo platter that seemed to be lifted right out of the textbooks. Half the plate was made up of a green herbed salad with a fresh viniagrette, there was falafel, and rice stuffed grape leaves. The rest of the plate is lost to memory. But that plate lifted me up and I thought, this could be a very good thing.

What followed was months of training, logging my foods, and testing my sugars. I got to know what sorts of foods to avoid and how to combo my foods for a nice sustained burn of energy.

Start with small changes.

Logging all your food and eating on a schedule is a great place to start.
  • feeferb
    Options
    Thanks for the insight everyone...I will have to read up
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    feeferb wrote: »
    So got some routine lab work at annual exam and my fasting blood sugar was high...further testing said I was in normal range. BUT huge wake up call. Family history and other factors indicate diabetes is in my future. Up to me to decide how far in the future. Need help with diet ideas that keep carbs moderate and protein high...BUT low in calorie. It's a struggle but certainly have motivation to get of my butt now. Need encouragement.

It's amazing what a doctor's visit can do. I'm now watching portion sizes and plate combinations like never before.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    You may find that losing weight might be enough to lower your numbers without having to drastically go low carb/low sugar. My A1C has been steadily dropping while losing 83 lbs without any special attention to either. Good luck!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Read Jason Fung's book, Obesity Epidemic and also info on eatingacademy.com. From reading these sites and others, I've learned that a lot of type II diabetics do produce insulin, it's just not effective at clearing the blood glucose. The person has become insulin resistant. Dr. Fung treats type II diabetics by fasting. He says insulin resistance is caused by chronic exposure to high insulin and it becomes ineffective. To make it effective again, the body must have periods of time where insulin is low. That is accomplished by fasting and eating fats that don't raise insulin levels. An insulin resistant person will even have high insulin levels while fasted and high insulin will also keep you from metabolizing fat. We need to become insulin sensitive to lose weight and also to reverse type II diabetes.

I was starting to get fasting blood sugar levels over 100 and started an intermittent fasting diet and either through that or the weight I lost or both, my fasting blood sugar is not in the mid 80s. I've lost 44lbs (male, 6' 1", cw 208). With intermittent fasting, you can eat the same calories you are currently eating but in a smaller time window. I like this way of dieting because I don't have to do a lot of food planning, weighing, or calorie counting and I get to eat tell full when I do eat. There have been studies done where at least with rats, that one group became leaner eating the same cals as another group but doing so with some fasting thrown in (the rats fasting got to eat more when not fasted). Give those references a read and also look up insulin resistance and intermittent fasting. Some good threads on MFP are "5:2", "IF", "OMAD"
  • feeferb
    Options
    I was going to say what is intermittent fasting but I think that's part of what I should read up on...Thanks
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    feeferb wrote: »

Have you spoken with your doctor about your concerns? Gotten a referral to a registered dietician?