Topamax?

Options
briislovely
briislovely Posts: 92 Member
Is anyone taking topamax for migraines? Do you have side effects? I just started taking it today.

Replies

• youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I have been offered topamax as well. I am still debating as I don't like the potential side effects but it is kind of my last option. So I will follow along.
  • briislovely
    briislovely Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Same here @youndmomtaz they make me sick and light headed so I'm willing to try anything at this point
  • JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I took it for about 2 months but it wasn't prescribed to me for migraines.
    The weirdest side effect I got was nothing tasted right. Anything carbonated tasted like metal.
    I also noticed a lot of hair falling out. When I googled it there were quite a few complaints about that in particular.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I've been taking topamax for 10 years for migraines. It literally changed my life as far as getting rid of my almost daily headaches.

But, yes, there were side effects. They kind of suck. But for me, the ends justified the means, and they went away over time.

1. I felt very dopey. The medication's nickname is dopamax for a reason. You will notice it most on the days you increase your dosages. I highly recommend you do this on a Friday night if you're off Saturday and Sunday so you don't need to be fully functional for work. Words will be on the tip of your tongue but you can't get to them.
    2. Things taste different like @JessicaJS23 said.
    3. You will probably drop some weight. I lost about 20 pounds without even trying.
    4. You will lose short term memory. But it comes back. I write everything down.

I took this for 10 years. It just stopped helping. I feel so lucky that I was able to go so long without migraines on a regular basis.

I just got Botox for the first time this month and still getting migraines.
  • JessicaJS23
    Options
    Shells918 wrote: »
    I've been taking topamax for 10 years for migraines. It literally changed my life as far as getting rid of my almost daily headaches.

But, yes, there were side effects. They kind of suck. But for me, the ends justified the means, and they went away over time.

1. I felt very dopey. The medication's nickname is dopamax for a reason. You will notice it most on the days you increase your dosages. I highly recommend you do this on a Friday night if you're off Saturday and Sunday so you don't need to be fully functional for work. Words will be on the tip of your tongue but you can't get to them.
    2. Things taste different like @JessicaJS23 said.
    3. You will probably drop some weight. I lost about 20 pounds without even trying.
    4. You will lose short term memory. But it comes back. I write everything down.

I took this for 10 years. It just stopped helping. I feel so lucky that I was able to go so long without migraines on a regular basis.

I just got Botox for the first time this month and still getting migraines.

: ( I hope you can find another option to help you. I've only had a few in my life but my best friend suffers with them like you do and I feel so bad for anyone who has to constantly go through that.
  • Nikkomagic
    Nikkomagic Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I took it for several years for seizures, so I was taking a much higher dosage than most migraine suffers would be prescribed. Everything that Shells918 and JessicaJS23 said are absolutly true. I felt as if my head was in a metal tube or a floaty balloon, I couldn't focus, my appetite disappered because food tasted so drastically different, hairloss, OMG the hairloss... I developed an almost constant tingly sensations in my hand and legs. Medication blood levels will need to be checked regularly to make sure it stays within safe levels (but thats only if you are taking a dosage over 100 mg daily). But the good news is once I stopped taking it everything got better but the hairloss.
  • rps67
    rps67 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've had migraines for almost 25 years and I use Imitrex when I get a headache. I tried Topomax several years ago and it didn't work for me. I had the tingling in my fingers and my migraine frequency wasn't decreased. I stopped taking it, but have talked to other people that it worked great for. If migraines make you miserable, I think it's worth a try and then stop taking it if it doesn't help.
  • JessicaJS23
    Options
    Nikkomagic wrote: »
    I took it for several years for seizures, so I was taking a much higher dosage than most migraine suffers would be prescribed. Everything that Shells918 and JessicaJS23 said are absolutly true. I felt as if my head was in a metal tube or a floaty balloon, I couldn't focus, my appetite disappered because food tasted so drastically different, hairloss, OMG the hairloss... I developed an almost constant tingly sensations in my hand and legs. Medication blood levels will need to be checked regularly to make sure it stays within safe levels (but thats only if you are taking a dosage over 100 mg daily). But the good news is once I stopped taking it everything got better but the hairloss.

Yes ... The hair coming out by the handfuls in the shower freaked me out so bad I told my doctor I couldn't take it anymore.
    It was a weight loss doctor who prescribed it to take along with phentermine. I guess it was supposed to level off the effects of the phen? Everything has the opposite effect on me.. I was so so sleepy on the phentermine he said that the topomax would help with that if I remember correctly. Luckily I didn't have to depend on it for daily function like some people: (
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    rps67 wrote: »
    I've had migraines for almost 25 years and I use Imitrex when I get a headache. I tried Topomax several years ago and it didn't work for me. I had the tingling in my fingers and my migraine frequency wasn't decreased. I stopped taking it, but have talked to other people that it worked great for.

Exact same experience. I still use Imitrex.
  • cortezgetsfit
    cortezgetsfit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I took topamax for over 3 years. It is super hard on your body and I had to stop. The main things that happened were: dramatic weight loss, food tasted like metal, my hair fell out..I mean handfuls at a time, my kidneys eventually started to shut down. I now have to take kidney support for the rest of my life. This drug is super dangerous and I would never take it again. Oh I also had pins and needles and became super dumb. I'm a teacher and literally battled to explain stuff to my 3rd graders.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I took topamax for over 3 years. It is super hard on your body and I had to stop. The main things that happened were: dramatic weight loss, food tasted like metal, my hair fell out..I mean handfuls at a time, my kidneys eventually started to shut down. I now have to take kidney support for the rest of my life. This drug is super dangerous and I would never take it again. Oh I also had pins and needles and became super dumb. I'm a teacher and literally battled to explain stuff to my 3rd graders.

That's interesting. I was on it for over 3 years and didn't experience any of that. Maybe your dose was super high? I tend to be very sensitive to medications, but never had a problem with Topamax.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Forgot about the tingling. Still get a tiny bit of that. Hair didn't fall out though.
    My kidney functions were fine till last year till they got messed up from another drug last year.
  • GreenGoddess22
    GreenGoddess22 Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was prescribed it for migraines, but I had to stop after a few weeks. For me, the memory loss was the worst. I knew what I wanted to say but I just couldn't get the words out. That was scary! I also was extremely tired and nauseous. I ended up on some different meds, Relpax is the only name I can remember though. I started doing yoga and getting deep tissue massage in my neck/shoulder/head area and it's helped a great deal!
  • KarlyPPW
    KarlyPPW Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Topamax is no joke and I'm shocked that it is being prescribed along with phen purely for weight loss. I take it for migraines but had to stop taking it for a while because of pregnancy/breastfeeding. It is very important that you be on very reliable birth control because of risk of birth defects (cleft palate). For my migraines it is a miracle drug and worth every side effect I experience. I've gone from 4-5 complete monster migraines a week that would send your average Joe to the ER... to having maybe two a month.

I experience a lot of the above - soda tastes vile, tingling in hands and feet, hard time recalling words sometimes, dropped a significant amount of weight especially in the first weeks (that taperered off) and some intense nausea. Oddly enough I think I do still get migraines from time to time but without the headache. For me it is a miracle and I would take all the side effects over how bad my migraines were. There are years of my life I can't get back because I was in bed or on the bathroom floor being sick. That said... it's not without effects and consequences and not everybody can handle them.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I took it for a very short period of time my senior senr of college. I had stress migraines very frequently. My Dr prescribed it and very shortly after my 3.8 GPA began to plummet!

I would read the same paragraph over & over and not recall what I had just read...in every subject in my major!! I quit soon after and slowly recovered. Overall my GPA didn't suffer too badly as I was aware and quickly stopped it but man was it rough making up those awful grades.

I had the tingling sensation but no weight loss.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I think if my current doc pushes for a trial again I will go for it. The only side effect that I feel will really hurt is the hair loss. The others seem like something I can manage(or at least attempt to live with) but I am scared to lose any more hair. I am already so very thin due to hypothyroid. But 2-3 severe migraines a week is life draining. Much of what I read says that other symptoms should diminish over time while on low doses and my doc stated that we would start low and not go above 50mg/day specifically because of side effects. Thank you everyone for your experiences.