At what point do you use the TDEE calculator?

Options
This is when it confuses my lil brain...

Calories:
MFP 1410 ( w/ 1.5lb/week)

TDEE 2575 - 15% = 2189
BMR 2146 -15% = 1824

I walk 30 mins 5x/week
Will be adding strength training 2-3x as well.

Do I just stay with MFP because I need to lose a lot and not worry about the whole TDEE thing at this time?

Replies

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I would pick one and then keep in mind that all of these numbers are just estimates. Your scale and measurements will tell the real story. Also keep in mind that this is not a fast process. It will take time. Have fun with this! You will learn a lot about yourself as time goes on, especially when you see progress.
  • RelevantGains
    RelevantGains Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    There are many ways to calculate your calories. The way MFP does it is quite different than the way I do it.

MFP relies on you eating back your exercise calories. It works, but I find that a bit silly, tbh. It sets your calories ultra low with the assumption that you'll actually be eating more on high activity days.

If you were to calculate your calories by a certain deficit below TDEE, this would have your activity factored in, and it may be a higher base number of calories, but it would already have your activity factored in.
  • RelevantGains
    RelevantGains Posts: 83 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Also, 1.5 pounds a week is about 750 calories a day. So with your TDEE calculation, that would put your daily calories to 1825, which is a little closer to MFP, but again, for this one, you wouldn't be eating back your activity calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you're subtracting 15% from your BMR?

In the end, TDEE and MFP are pretty similar. Your amount of exercise would make you lightly active at most with TDEE, so if you use MFP and add 200 calories a day for exercise (which is probably too much for 30 minutes of walking), it should be close to your maintenance TDEE with a 750 calorie deficit (which is probably much closer to 20% cut than 15%).

In the end.. do what works for you. I just used TDEE because it seemed silly to log every single walk I take.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    bwhitty67 wrote: »
    This is when it confuses my lil brain...

Calories:
    MFP 1410 ( w/ 1.5lb/week)

TDEE 2575 - 15% = 2189
    BMR 2146 -15% = 1824

I walk 30 mins 5x/week
    Will be adding strength training 2-3x as well.

Do I just stay with MFP because I need to lose a lot and not worry about the whole TDEE thing at this time?

That BMR seems high, although I don't know your stats, of course.

1.5 lb and 15% don't work out to the same -- as mentioned above, 1.5 lb=a deficit of 750. 15% of 2572 is around 386 or .75 lb/week. If you are in at sedentary, MFP is estimating your sedentary maintenance at 2160, which would make BMR something like 1800. Exercise would be added afterwards for MFP.

If you have a lot to lose I'd stay with MFP and eat back about 50% of exercise calories until you see how your loss rate compares with what's predicted. If not, and you'd rather use TDEE method (I prefer TDEE method, I'd check a few different calculators just to be sure the BMR calculation (which everything else is based on) isn't way off.)
  • bwhitty67
    bwhitty67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    There are many ways to calculate your calories. The way MFP does it is quite different than the way I do it.

MFP relies on you eating back your exercise calories. It works, but I find that a bit silly, tbh. It sets your calories ultra low with the assumption that you'll actually be eating more on high activity days.

If you were to calculate your calories by a certain deficit below TDEE, this would have your activity factored in, and it may be a higher base number of calories, but it would already have your activity factored in.
    Also, 1.5 pounds a week is about 750 calories a day. So with your TDEE calculation, that would put your daily calories to 1825, which is a little closer to MFP, but again, for this one, you wouldn't be eating back your activity calories.

Cool, thanks :)
  • bwhitty67
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

In the end, TDEE and MFP are pretty similar. Your amount of exercise would make you lightly active at most with TDEE, so if you use MFP and add 200 calories a day for exercise (which is probably too much for 30 minutes of walking), it should be close to your maintenance TDEE with a 750 calorie deficit (which is probably much closer to 20% cut than 15%).

In the end.. do what works for you. I just used TDEE because it seemed silly to log every single walk I take.

I just figured 15% (what the website suggested). :)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    I like to use MFP and eat my exercise calories. I have my fitbit synced and eat most of the adjustment. The goal mfp gives me plus my exercise adjustment is usually about equal to what I get from a TDEE calculator. For me personally I like to eat less in the days that I am less active. If your activity is fairly consistent then using a TDEE calculator for your goal will work just fine. It really is personal preference as to which way is best. I used mfp for my goal when losing and now that I'm in maintenance I will just stick with what has been working for me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

But it's pointless to take 15% of your BMR, as for weight loss purposes, your BMR really doesn't matter.
  • bwhitty67
    Options

But it's pointless to take 15% of your BMR, as for weight loss purposes, your BMR really doesn't matter.

Good to know as I did not know this :)